PDA

View Full Version : Applying coatings - weather question

bob m
05-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Ok, applying a coating outdoors - you want the weather to cooperate - temps above 60 or so, low humidity, not windy, no rain predicted for a few days, but what about that spring issue - pollen? Pollen is a problem we all have to deal with in Spring, so does that negate doing a new coating outdoors at this time? Most coating are dry to the touch pretty quickly but pollen is pretty quick too.

Sizzle Chest
05-05-2019, 08:49 AM
I would want to wait for ideal conditions. The last thing you want it to have to redo it cuz of contamination.

bob m
05-05-2019, 09:50 AM
I would want to wait for ideal conditions. The last thing you want it to have to redo it cuz of contamination.

Yeah, you are right. No sense rushing and end up with costly mistakes.

UncleDavy
05-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Another issue that you have to deal with is condensation. Most coatings need to cure for at least 24 hours. If you are going to leave the vehicle outside overnight, then chances are you will have condensation on the surface. You need to put the vehicle in a garage overnight or wait until the perfect conditions. If the dew point is less than the overnight temperature then you will not have moisture.

bob m
05-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Another issue that you have to deal with is condensation. Most coatings need to cure for at least 24 hours. If you are going to leave the vehicle outside overnight, then chances are you will have condensation on the surface. You need to put the vehicle in a garage overnight or wait until the perfect conditions. If the dew point is less than the overnight temperature then you will not have moisture.

Good point! May have to see if I can empty my garage for a couple of days.

Mgavin1985
05-05-2019, 01:20 PM
I have coated many cars on mobile details leaving them to cure over night with dew. I never had a problem some times I would use reload sometimes I wouldn’t they turned out fine. My opinion would be coat as early in the day as possible. Maybe if concerned do all prep work on day 1 then on day two coat in morning. The sun will give it a fast intial cure

fightnews
05-05-2019, 02:07 PM
I have coated many cars on mobile details leaving them to cure over night with dew. I never had a problem some times I would use reload sometimes I wouldn’t they turned out fine. My opinion would be coat as early in the day as possible. Maybe if concerned do all prep work on day 1 then on day two coat in morning. The sun will give it a fast intial cure

U polish outside too?

UncleDavy
05-05-2019, 02:26 PM

It is all right if the coating gets wet within the first 24 hours as long as you wipe the moisture of off the surface. Leaving it overnight and then drying in the morning sun can cause water spots. That happened to me on the pillars of my Ford Explorer. I ended up polishing off the CQuartz DLux and reapplying it.

Mgavin1985
05-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Yes I polish out side if I need to I have a pop up 10 x 10 or chase the shadows from sun. On of the most sun friendly polish’s is megs ultimate compound super oily and does nice job for 1 step and cheap. D300 is good to

bob m
05-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Thanks all for your replies and advice, but luckily these issue is now moot. Thanks! I did a quick look see and if I move some of the crap/stuff around and out I can do the coatings inside my garage. That solves a few problems, phew!

On another note, let me offer a thumbs up to the GG PFM`s and Adams large MF towels for their ability to soak up a heck of a lot of water. Yes, it`s been raining all night and when I went out an hour ago I found that I left my rear passenger window open and the mat and carpet were soaked with water.:mad::eek::mad: Luckily tomorrow looks to be a dry day around these parts.

ScottMac27
05-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Ok, applying a coating outdoors - you want the weather to cooperate - temps above 60 or so, low humidity, not windy, no rain predicted for a few days, but what about that spring issue - pollen? Pollen is a problem we all have to deal with in Spring, so does that negate doing a new coating outdoors at this time? Most coating are dry to the touch pretty quickly but pollen is pretty quick too.Low humidity? What is this thing you speak of? [emoji12]

Here in Central Florida and being mobile I just have to learn to deal with it. It does limit my choices of products though as I'm generally using sun and heat friendly products.

Sent from my Phone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Bill D
05-05-2019, 07:56 PM
I知 in Central Florida too and the humidity here can mess up any kind of detailing. I especially go nuts trying to keep glass perfect. Just spent today on it and I know I値l have to do it again real soon. Ugh!

ScottMac27
05-05-2019, 07:59 PM
I知 in Central Florida too and the humidity here can mess up any kind of detailing. I especially go nuts trying to keep glass perfect. Just spent today on it and I know I値l have to do it again real soon. Ugh!Not to mention the pollen and the bug poo... oh, and did I mention the pollen? [emoji12]

Sent from my Phone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Bill D
05-05-2019, 08:01 PM
I just recently got over bad nasal congestion due to pollen. I知 convinced it happened because of spending too much time removing pollen from my car LOL