PDA

View Full Version : Iron-X used for actual rust spots?

hooked
05-04-2019, 06:58 PM
I have a small chip on the roof of my car that is starting to rust. I know I need to use some sort of abrasive step to clean out the rust, but I was wondering if using an Iron-X type product applied before hand would help.

PaulMys
05-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately, no. The chip you describe has removed all of the clear coat, paint, and primer and has exposed the bare metal allowing it to rust.

Iron-X and the like are designed to dissolve small, sometimes microscopic iron particles embedded in paint.

spazzz
05-04-2019, 08:50 PM
I have a small chip on the roof of my car that is starting to rust. I know I need to use some sort of abrasive step to clean out the rust, but I was wondering is using an Iron-X type product applied before hand would help.

It will help some but you will still need to sand. It will give you a head start
I also use it on my knives that have been used to cut fruit and sit, of course I need to scrub them a bit.

SWETM
05-05-2019, 01:37 AM
It helps a little to desolve the rust. But often multible applications is needed to be done to see a difference. Cause it's designed as Paul mentioned to handle small size of oxidized/rust iron particals. What it useally does for me is that most of the flakes of rust is often desolved so you have a little smoother spot to start to sand. You have also a product that often is called rust eater or something like that and is more aggressive and you get a longer dwell time for most of the rust to be desolved. Then the use of a self etching primer is a good thing to use as it often stop the rust from spreading when you paint over it. You can compare a good ironx product with like a chemical wire brush if that makes sense LOL.