PDA

View Full Version : amsoil

fech
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
About to do an oil change and started to do research. Anyone familiar with this product. Sounds good but is expensive. Don't know if it's better than the Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic that I use now. Thanks in advance for any input

ScottB
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I have and continue to use Mobil1 since I never had a serious breakdown or failure. That said Amsoil would likely be my other choice, and have only heard great things about them.

MadOzodi
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I, too have been using Mobil 1. I was actually on Amsoil's website last night checking to see the price with and without the preferred member discount.

With the preferred member discount, it seems that you would want to purchase the oil in bulk for one or two years. Either that, or get a local group buy together. I'm leaning towards the former.

simtso
03-04-2008, 04:52 PM
i too use mobile 1 syn in my 300c, without any problems, change my oil every 10,000 km's ( metric here in Canada ). 6213 miles U.S. i think?
but use Amsoil synthetic for my transmission and power steering.
ATF4+ compatible. For Chrysler cars.

fech
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Seems like everyone is good with mobil 1 and since it's alot cheaper, I think I will stick with it. Thanks for the imput

FASN8N
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I have used both Amsoil and Mobil 1, both are great choices.

blk45
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Seems like everyone is good with mobil 1 and since it's alot cheaper, I think I will stick with it. Thanks for the imput

Both are very good. Amsoil is better, but you pay for it. If it's not a high performance engine (heavily modified) or submitted to other extreme conditions, you will be fine with Mobil 1.

borabora1989
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Mobil1 ftw, no probs

Surfer
03-04-2008, 11:20 PM
When auto racing, seems guys either run Amsoil or Mobil 1. With high performance boats (racing, or poker runs etc) seems everyone runs Amsoil, we did.

lethalxls1
03-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Mobile 1 is no longer a TRUE synthetic like it used to be. Amsoil is a true synthetic oil. I know everyone is gonna freak out on me and call BS but thats the facts-do some research and you will see what I mean. I believe German Castrol and Royal Purple are true synthetic oils as well. The bottom line is -if you change your oil every 3,000 miles conventional oil is fine. I use conventional Valvoline and have for years.

sarcher1
03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
I used Amsoil for my Ford Turbo Diesel and Harley got back some pretty bad oil analysis from Blackstone. Namely my iron levels went way up. I changed to Schaeffer Oil and the results came back almost perfect. I have been running Amsoil's Oil Bypass filter setup and have been very happy with it however.

wytstang
03-05-2008, 12:41 AM
I run a synthetic blend (Motorcraft) and go 5,000-5,500 (oil analysis from Blackstone Labs as well). Amsoil has been "in the game" the longest when it comes to synthetics. I run Amsoil in my tranny now, but my tanny is going down hill for the 3rd time :(. But yeah I trust Amsoil to do a good job. Sarcher1 I've read Shaeffer is good stuff. I may run his rear end fluid.

dengood1
03-05-2008, 06:28 AM
The bottom line is -if you change your oil every 3,000 miles conventional oil is fine. I use conventional Valvoline and have for years.

I'd rather change it half as much, every 6000 miles(or more) by using a synthetic!

RTexasF
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Mobile 1 is no longer a TRUE synthetic like it used to be. Amsoil is a true synthetic oil. I know everyone is gonna freak out on me and call BS but thats the facts-do some research and you will see what I mean. I believe German Castrol and Royal Purple are true synthetic oils as well. The bottom line is -if you change your oil every 3,000 miles conventional oil is fine. I use conventional Valvoline and have for years.

This is only rumored and totally unproven, I have done the research since 2002. FYI it's Mobil 1 not Mobile. Many of the Group lll synthetics such as Pennzoil Platinum are superb regardless if they are considered a "true" synthetic or not. Mobil says their oils are PAO which is Group lV. Groups lV and V would be considered "true" synthetics in the purest sense of the word.

Some Amsoil grades are not true synthetic (by your definition) and some are. I would suggest more tedious investigaion is in order on your part.

lethalxls1
03-08-2008, 02:47 AM
This is only rumored and totally unproven, I have done the research since 2002. FYI it's Mobil 1 not Mobile. Many of the Group lll synthetics such as Pennzoil Platinum are superb regardless if they are considered a "true" synthetic or not. Mobil says their oils are PAO which is Group lV. Groups lV and V would be considered "true" synthetics in the purest sense of the word.

Some Amsoil grades are not true synthetic (by your definition) and some are. I would suggest more tedious investigaion is in order on your part.

Yes you are right- I have no idea ### I am talking about. You caught me.:goodpost: