PDA

View Full Version : ONR to your Shampoo?

Pages : [1] 2

soapboxpreacher
04-30-2019, 06:58 PM
How many of you add a cap full of ONR to your wash shampoo bucket? Seems like a great idea?

PaulMys
04-30-2019, 07:15 PM
How many of you add a cap full of ONR to your wash shampoo bucket? Seems like a great idea?

I love ONR for its water softening properties, and had this very idea a few years ago.

Alas, it was not to be. It knocks the hell out of the suds leaving you with a watery mix of your shampoo of choice and ONR.

VISITOR
04-30-2019, 07:56 PM
^agreed. add ONR to the rinse bucket if anything...

vobro
04-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Agree with Paul and Visitor

soapboxpreacher
04-30-2019, 11:34 PM
Great to know. What a soap/shampoo that does the best job lifting the dirt from the surface like onr but from a traditional wash style 2 bucket? More over what’s your favorite shampoo? I would think the one that foams well yet encapsulates the dirt and lifts from the surface would be the best and safest. I know most soaps are suppose to do this but I don’t think many do it well.

WristyManchego
05-01-2019, 12:04 AM
It knocks the suds out of the wash when added to the bucket however suds aren’t an indication of wash solution efficacy.

The best wash I’ve used is Zymol Auto Bathe and Auto Wash, both of which have little to no suds but clean effectively and neutrally. I’m sure there’s similar, newer products on the market.

ONR in a wash solution is a good idea to increase lubricity and reduce scratching, but for reasons I’ve not fully discovered, I’ve found it doesn’t allow a perfectly clean finish.

Fine for a low-contamination wash but when a deeper clean is required, omitting the ONR yields better results.

To hazard a guess, id say it knocks the suds due to its formulation of anti-friction agents. This causes the water to become dense and forms a barrier between the surface of the vehicle and the cleaning agent in the soap. The ONR doing its job, the soap slides off the surface.

Essentially you’re washing with ONR alone. As mentioned, fine in some cases, not in all.

When it comes to soaps, they vary so greatly because there is a large gap between high lubricity on one end, and cleaning efficacy on the other. Both can’t exist in maximum capacity together so it’s good to have a wash for every occasion; maintenance to decontamination.

DSVETS7R
05-01-2019, 06:48 PM
I was recently listening to one of obsessed garages podcasts and in it they specifically don’t want a lot of suds when washing. The suds really have no cleaning ability based on what these professionals were saying. It’s really for reference when cleaning. Just like wheel cleaners that change color.

PaulMys
05-01-2019, 07:01 PM
I was recently listening to one of obsessed garages podcasts and in it they specifically don’t want a lot of suds when washing. The suds really have no cleaning ability based on what these professionals were saying. It’s really for reference when cleaning. Just like wheel cleaners that change color.

Everyone has their own opinion on this. (Just ask the foam cannon fans).

Myself, when I do my spring wash before the decon and polishing/protecting, I love to use Hyper wash, or OCW. Lots of suds, but the cleaning power is what blows me away. Two incredible soaps that just work IMO.

After this, I will do rinseless washes all summer unless the truck gets too dirty for such.

I guess what I'm saying is this: I see both sides of the argument. Still like my thick suds though..... :)

VISITOR
05-01-2019, 07:08 PM
when i use my foam gun i only use one (rinse) bucket and if adding ONR it will help reduce the suds in the rinse bucket and also help clean the mitt off. if need be, blasting it off with water as well...

WristyManchego
05-01-2019, 07:10 PM
when i use my foam gun i only use one (rinse) bucket and if adding ONR it will help reduce the suds in the rinse bucket and also help clean the mitt off. if need be, blasting it off with water as well...

Now this is a brilliant use of ONR.

PaulMys
05-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Now this is a brilliant use of ONR.

Al is a brilliant dude.

We all owe him 50 bucks now..... :)

WristyManchego
05-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Agree with the first part as the suds aren’t the part that cleans, they are a usability feature.

The second part is completely false. The colour changing component of a wheel cleaner is to catalyse the ferrous metals and dissolve them chemically instead of having to remove them mechanically.

That being said, it is not the only chemical way to clean a wheel and if I remember correctly, that is what the guys from Meguiars distinctly said.

And they’re right, most people use reaction wheel cleaners incorrectly: it should be used in the same manner as paint decontamination, on an already clean wheel to remove only the remaining embedded metals.

WristyManchego
05-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Al is a brilliant dude.

We all owe him 50 bucks now..... :)

What I like about it isn’t the use per-se, it’s the thinking behind the decision.

The guy has considered how ONR works and used it to his advantage in another application; releasing dirt from his wash media.

Now I’m sure the Optimum guys recommend this but it’s not something most people consider.

PaulMys
05-01-2019, 07:28 PM
What I like about it isn’t the use per-se, it’s the thinking behind the decision.

The guy has considered how ONR works and used it to his advantage in another application; releasing dirt from his wash media.

Now I’m sure the Optimum guys recommend this but it’s not something most people consider.

Totally agree. Try some in your windshield washer reservoir. :props:

DetailKitty
05-02-2019, 09:22 AM
I admit I add a little to the wash bucket... works well for me.