PDA

View Full Version : Sonax Polymer Net Shield - I want to love it, but...

Pages : [1] 2

SayNoToPistons
04-29-2019, 07:02 AM
I seem to have quite a lot of difficulty removing Sonax PNS compared to other sealants and waxes. I've gone through an entire can of Sonax PNS trying different approaches to apply and remove it easier. This is all done on completely decon'd and polished surfaces and two different paints (Mazda red, Mazda black, & Honda white).

Here are different variations of application & removal I've tried and yielded similarly difficult removal results:
- Applying with yellow foam application pad (tried spraying either the applicator or paint before spreading)
- Applying with MF towel vs MF applicator (tried spraying either the applicator or paint before spreading)
- Applying with cloudy overcast ~52*F ambient temp
- Applying in the sun ~60*F ambient temp
- Applying in the shade during an overcast day ~60*F ambient temp
- Waiting 30 seconds to a minute before wiping VS wipe off immediately after doing a 2'x2' section
- Heavy VS light pile MF (both used and new towels)
- 1st coat and topping it with a 2nd coat one week after

I just can't get PNS to wipe off with ease. It catch the MF and I feel like I am inducing marring due to the extra effort needed to remove the product.

I really want to love the product because the idea has the potential to quicken the protection process, especially with how fantastic PNS looks on trim (which I sometimes deliberately overspray onto).

Any feedback is appreciated. I've read through and watch pretty much all other info out there on PNS.

Rsurfer
04-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Are you using a damp (water) applicator?

AZpolisher15
04-29-2019, 11:52 PM
Isn't it just a spray and wipe off formula?

Coatingsarecrack
04-30-2019, 02:40 AM
The PNS tends to reject applications to rotaries! Jk... I’ve read about removal issues so have never tried. I’ve read removal with damp towel follow by dry towel if needed works best.

I use shine supply Clutch and if removal an issue the recommend a spray of QD to remove if issues, haven’t needed to try. Maybe spray with some 914 before removing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glen e
04-30-2019, 03:07 AM
I bought a Can, used it once. Never again. Entirely too hard to get off, too “grabby”..... other things work just as well.

DBAILEY
04-30-2019, 08:39 AM
PNS is a bit grabby when removing. It also is not a slick sealant. The results are worth it. I think its the best sealant out there. It actually protects the paint, not just bead water.

Rsurfer
04-30-2019, 03:53 PM
It actually protects the paint, not just bead water.

Doesn't beading indicate protection? A lot of ppl would disagree

mwoolfso
04-30-2019, 04:30 PM
It is one of the strongest sealants out there and that's how I rationalize the elbow grease required.

Usually when I start with it I need some time to perfect the technique for that particular session. Learned to avoid spraying directly on the paint as you will get uneven application and you won't have a lot of time to spread the product. However, on a MF applicator you do get enough time. Also, applying thin is important and with this product it is fairly easy to see the product flash.

TMQ
04-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Yeah...it can be a bit of a chore. Spray on applicator away from car and apply.

I've done a couple---and it really does get easier once you have a couple of rounds with PNS.

Was in same boat as you---wanted to throw it out but the gloss and protection is off charts. Closest to a coating.

Give it a couple of more rounds---you'll find it becoming easier and better...

Tom

SayNoToPistons
05-01-2019, 11:26 AM
I've gone through an entire can and I feel like my shoulders and forearms are substantially stronger after consecutive weekends of experimenting back to back on both cars.

Are there any comparably durable spray sealants that won't stain trims?

DBAILEY
05-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Doesn't beading indicate protection? A lot of ppl would disagree

Yes, I use the beading as the first indicator that LSP is still protecting and then my second indication would be how easily is it releasing the road dirt film.

However, PNS is not just a great water beading it also does a great job of resisting water spot etching, leaf debris etching and staining and such. Stuff usually wipes off pretty easily. Contrast that to something like Zaino that beads like crazy for a long time but barely protects against such things.

Coatingsarecrack
05-02-2019, 03:50 AM
I've gone through an entire can and I feel like my shoulders and forearms are substantially stronger after consecutive weekends of experimenting back to back on both cars.

Are there any comparably durable spray sealants that won't stain trims?

I’ve had good luck with hydrosilex and shine supply Clutch. Beads well cleans well. Since hydrosilex reformulated worked well as stand alone and easy to apply. Just make sure to do 2-3 coats 5-7 days apart and then apply every 1-4 months. I let it ride and say it died between 4-5 months. Clutch was even better but you have to apply and let sit at least 15 min, the longer the better I would let sit 45-60 mins.

SWETM
05-02-2019, 05:57 AM
We have another version of PNS here in Sweden from Sonax. They sent with it theirs foam applicator sponge. That could be an option to get PNS on like it should from Sonax recommendations.

SONAX Application Sponge (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-application-sponge.html)

When I have put on the BSD heavy sometimes just to see if it makes a difference to the longevity of it. It's very grabby when you you remove it. But the easiest way for me has been with a medium long split weave mf towel. And I don't fold it and just use more towels to have less hassle with the grip on the mf towel. As I have wiped off the most off it and no need to be perfect. I take a very plush mf towel to do a last buff. This has been working great for me and the use of the grabbyness BSD has. With not going for takeing all off in the first wipe off. I don't gets to bothered with the grabbyness. Also I have nitrile gloves on me that helps holding the mf towel. Even a pair of mf gloves could help you with holding the mf towel better. The plusher towel gets more slicker when you buff it up IME. Also don't work on too large of sections when applying. And have a lot of mf towels at hand LOL.

SayNoToPistons
05-02-2019, 07:26 AM
I’ve had good luck with hydrosilex and shine supply Clutch. Beads well cleans well. Since hydrosilex reformulated worked well as stand alone and easy to apply. Just make sure to do 2-3 coats 5-7 days apart and then apply every 1-4 months. I let it ride and say it died between 4-5 months. Clutch was even better but you have to apply and let sit at least 15 min, the longer the better I would let sit 45-60 mins.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into those products. I don't mind the wait time. I would assume that I can apply to the whole car and have enough cure time when I go around to remove.

We have another version of PNS here in Sweden from Sonax. They sent with it theirs foam applicator sponge. That could be an option to get PNS on like it should from Sonax recommendations.

SONAX Application Sponge (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-application-sponge.html)

When I have put on the BSD heavy sometimes just to see if it makes a difference to the longevity of it. It's very grabby when you you remove it. But the easiest way for me has been with a medium long split weave mf towel. And I don't fold it and just use more towels to have less hassle with the grip on the mf towel. As I have wiped off the most off it and no need to be perfect. I take a very plush mf towel to do a last buff. This has been working great for me and the use of the grabbyness BSD has. With not going for takeing all off in the first wipe off. I don't gets to bothered with the grabbyness. Also I have nitrile gloves on me that helps holding the mf towel. Even a pair of mf gloves could help you with holding the mf towel better. The plusher towel gets more slicker when you buff it up IME. Also don't work on too large of sections when applying. And have a lot of mf towels at hand LOL.

That is actually one of the foam applicators I used. I find it to be similar in texture compared to other circular yellow foam applicators I used. I have enough PNS for the front quarter of one car left, so I'll experiment with double towel removal.

For the time being, besides the Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, what do you guys recommend as a topper/rejuvenator?

acuRAS82
05-02-2019, 12:12 PM
For rejuvenation of PNS, I can only recommend BSD.