PDA

View Full Version : Need tire cleaner to remove brown staining that is safe on polished billet wheels

69hugger
04-26-2019, 05:45 AM
I have used Wesley's Bleche White for years, but the etching it leaves is not acceptable on my bare polished wheels. Looking for a safe tire cleaner to remove the browning from ozone & old dressing that won't kill my wheels. Something reasonable in price & locally available would be bonuses. Most of the acid-free tire cleaners don't mention how safe they are on bare aluminum.

Thanks for your help!!

Mike Phillips
04-26-2019, 07:23 AM
I think Tuf Shine tire cleaner is safe.

I use it a lot and have never seen it harm anything. You could check with someone at the Tuf Shine website.

:)

69hugger
04-26-2019, 09:15 AM

I use it a lot and have never seen it harm anything. You could check with someone at the Tuf Shine website.

Thanks Mike! Will do.

Setec Astronomy
04-27-2019, 07:27 AM
The Tuf Shine is the best tire cleaner I have used, but I haven't had any bare wheels (that I remember...?) to know what it does to them. This is also a nice solution that is very mild and you may be able to find locally:

Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, tire cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html)

fightnews
04-27-2019, 07:39 AM
I like mckees cleaner and the coating. The bleach white probably does more harm then good like armor-all

Eldorado2k
04-27-2019, 09:25 AM
I like mckees cleaner and the coating. The bleach white probably does more harm then good like armor-all

Armor All Tire Gel is a water based dressing... And are your tires going to live long enough for any tire cleaner to do any actual damage? I doubt it.

Klasse Act
04-27-2019, 12:58 PM
The issue isn't what your using on the tires it's the BARE aluminum wheels. Have you thought about sealing them up[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
04-27-2019, 01:26 PM
The issue isn't what your using on the tires it's the BARE aluminum wheels. Have you thought about sealing them up[emoji848]

What do you recommend?

Klasse Act
04-27-2019, 03:37 PM
What do you recommend?I would try something like 303 Touchless sealant first. Since they're bare aluminum I wouldn't wanna rub anything on there because it's just going to turn black.

Eldorado2k
04-27-2019, 04:32 PM
I would try something like 303 Touchless sealant first. Since they're bare aluminum I wouldn't wanna rub anything on there because it's just going to turn black.

It has to contain abrasives in order to turn black.. A normal lsp i.e. a liquid sealant won’t turn black even if you buff real hard, however typical paint sealants don’t work as good on bare aluminum, and some even tend to dull the finish a bit.

IMO the best solution for him would be Mothers.

Use the Mothers B2B Tire Renew as a ‘waterless’ just as directions state, spray on the tire, let dwell for 15secs. then immediately wipe off with a clean dry towel and it’s done. No rinsing needed which means no tire cleaner getting on the wheels.

It’s among the best tire cleaners out there + it leaves tires clean and black. Doesn’t overdry and make them bloom like some tire cleaners that can be too harsh on certain rubbers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190427/ec98ad773b3608c627af3def6143f8cc.jpg

And for the aluminum wheels: Use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. Not only does it work great, but it also leaves behind a respectable layer of protection to keep your polished wheels looking great for longer before needing to be polished again. Once you maintain them regularly re polishing them is very quik and easy, you could even choose to buy yourself a PowerCone to maximize the results and user experience.

And you can find both products locally, just like OP asked for.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190427/063b205f021458e252611cb4083ea534.jpg

PaulMys
04-27-2019, 05:43 PM
I haven't done a whole lot of testing, but Griot's Black Satin aerosol is holding up on the wife's Jeep tires quite nicely.

Its been 3 weeks now, and she has driven through a ton of rain. They still look pretty much like the day I sprayed it on there.

The spray pattern is really pinpoint too, allowing you to get right up to the wheels without actually getting any product on them.

I never was a fan of the sprays, but she bought these Nitto Grapplers and the sidewalls are gnarly as hell. Hand or brush applying a product would be a nightmare.

Thought I'd give the Griot's a try, and so far so good.

FUNX650
04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
bare polished wheels.

Looking for a safe tire cleaner to remove
the browning from ozone & old dressing
that won't kill my wheels.

Something reasonable in price &
locally available would be bonuses.

I use S100 Wheel Cleaner to safely
clean every type of tires and wheels.

•I usually get it at:
-my local H-D bike shops.
-or here: S100 Wheel Cleaner: Intense yet safe wheel cleaner that clings to vertical surfaces, spokes, etc. motorcycle wheel cleaner, s100 wheel cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/s1whcl.html)

Bob

mustangular
10-16-2023, 07:38 AM

I am in the same predicament. I currently use Tuff Shine and have polished Torq Thrust 2’s. The Tuff Shine inevitably leaves a milky white stain and I can’t seem to manage NOT letting any of it contact the wheels. HELP.

Setec Astronomy
10-16-2023, 08:15 AM
I am in the same predicament. I currently use Tuff Shine and have polished Torq Thrust 2’s. The Tuff Shine inevitably leaves a milky white stain and I can’t seem to manage NOT letting any of it contact the wheels. HELP.

I think you have your answer in this thread. As FUNX650 alluded to, S100 (or P21S, same thing) is pH-neutral and shouldn't stain. It's a wheel cleaner, but I always used to use it on my tires when I cleaned my wheels with it. It may not work as well as Tuff Shine, but it depends on your tires.

Also, as Eldorado2K mentioned, the Mother's cleaner is waterless and should be pretty easy to keep off your wheels. I haven't used it in a long time, but I remember it being pretty neutral, so it may be fine if it gets on the wheels, anyway. Make sure you get the Back-to-Black because their foaming wheel and tire cleaner is definitely high-pH which you don't want.