PDA

View Full Version : Two tire questions.....

Pages : [1] 2

YankeeFan
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Maybe you can help with two areas that I am just not happy with:

1. I use AA Extreme Tire Foam, then Extreme Shine Tire Gel. Gives a pretty good shine but I put that stuff on Sunday afternoon, car sat in the garage all day. When I got in the car at 5 pm Monday, after work, the shine was pretty much gone. No rain, no water hit the tires! What is a good alternative I can try that gives a good shine, doesn't sling but has some degree of durability.

2. I have used a regular household sponge for the front wheel wells that are made of black plastic. Didn't think using the sponge would matter but now the wells look dull and scatched. First, what do you use that is strong enough to clean the crap that builds up in the wells but not scratch them. Plus what can I use to brighten them up.

Thanks,
Howard

Waxmax
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
1. I have used the exact same AA products (back to back as you did) on the tires and have had good results, so it is very puzzling.
I do rub off the foam (almost scrub with a MF) to give a good clean surface before using the Extreme Gel. Maybe the Gel did not adhere and just ran off. Puzzling. No rain or anything and the shine is gone?

2. I use a strong water spray to knock off the dirt and use a soft brush with some APC on it to reach what I can and then respray. Then use an undercarriage spray.

For me the undercarriage spray works better than foam products or other rubber/vinyl type protectants. JMO.

YankeeFan
03-04-2008, 11:28 AM
1. I have used the exact same AA products (back to back as you did) on the tires and have had good results, so it is very puzzling.
I do rub off the foam (almost scrub with a MF) to give a good clean surface before using the Extreme Gel. Maybe the Gel did not adhere and just ran off. Puzzling. No rain or anything and the shine is gone?
JMO.

Thanks......I will try that this weekend. Between washing the tires with soap and then the foam I thought they were clean but maybe not. When you say "good results", how long would you say the shine lasted?

trlblazer3
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
-For tires I either use WG tire gel or Surf City tire pro. Both give very nice results and both have good durability.
-For wheel wells I use Meg's APC and a long reach brush that I use specifically for wheel wells. Cleans them right up.

YankeeFan
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
2. I use a strong water spray to knock off the dirt and use a soft brush with some APC on it to reach what I can and then respray. Then use an undercarriage spray.

For me the undercarriage spray works better than foam products or other rubber/vinyl type protectants. JMO.

Sorry - forgot to ask, when you say "soft brush" can you lead me to an example that works well. I do have DP's Exterior cleaner, should try that?

makdaddy626
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM
-For tires I either use WG tire gel or Surf City tire pro. Both give very nice results and both have good durability.
-For wheel wells I use Meg's APC and a long reach brush that I use specifically for wheel wells. Cleans them right up.

I love SC Tire Pro, but it may not be for you if you want "shiney" - it's nothing like AA Extreme Gel - personally, I loke the SC look a lot better, it's deep black but looks and feels clean.

I usually use ARO on tires and a nylon brush before dressing.

For wells, I clean with ARO and have been using AA Foam afterwards to dress but I just got a new undercarriage spray to try out. I know AA foam is "cheap" but man do I go through it fast on my truck and the wife's SUV...

ScottB
03-04-2008, 12:16 PM
1. I too suggest the Surf City Beyond Black tire spray or maybe the newer Optibond offering from Optimum.

2. I spray the wheelwells with an aerosol type wheel gloss (ie. cheap from Pepboys like NXT Insane Shine) .

Jimmie
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I use a degreaser on wheel wells; rinse off. Tires get ARO; rinse off. Then tires and wells get AA Tire Foam; wipe off. Wells are done; tires get dressed. If you want a high shine it's tough to beat DP Gloss Tire Gel.

Waxmax
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, for the wheel wells DP Exterior Cleaner will work (or really most any cleaner) or just use soap. I use a cheapie OTC brush with a handle...medium to soft bristles, not a scrub type brush. I am surprised AG does not carry undercarriage spray, but I guess they can't do everything.

I too use SC's Tire Pro, but I was trying to answer your questions, not just say what I use. Everyone has their favorite process. With no rain, I get several weeks with the AA foam topped with the gel. I might wipe the tires down each week with a wet rag to minimize dirt. Can also use the OTC original AA (white liquid), to give them a quick wipe.

I remain puzzled about your tire results.

Surfer
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Puzzled also, I use AA Gel and the shine doesn't fade that quick, even when wet out for me. I can go about 3 weeks with a nice shine wiping down once a week, now the bling bling shine when 1st applied, that fades down to a nice black shine in about a week.

Surfer
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Puzzled also, I use AA Gel and the shine doesn't fade that quick, even when wet out for me. I can go about 3 weeks with a nice shine wiping down once a week, now the bling bling shine when 1st applied, that fades down to a nice black shine in about a week. And my vehicles sit outside 24/7 as no room in garage with everything.

YankeeFan
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Little late but I just wanted to followup as the last two times I cleaned the car I used ARO and a good stiff brush on my tires. Wow.......the tires were unbelievably dirty and grimy as the dirty water just stuck to the sides of an old bucket. After that I found the tires to not only shine better but the shine lasted longer too. So, many of you were right, I just had extremely dirty tires. Thanks.......

Howard

El Camino Kid
04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
IMO AA product are crap things to throw in the dumpster switch to Megs or even better Mothers Reflections

Strokin04
04-25-2008, 10:27 PM
IMO AA product are crap things to throw in the dumpster switch to Megs or even better Mothers Reflections

Some people will say the same about Turtle wax polishing compound but, if it works for you then use it.;)

YankeeFan
04-28-2008, 11:20 AM

That's pretty funny, as there doesn't seem to be an area that is more open to opinion than tire cleaning and dressing......just do a quick Search on this site. I think there would be many that could say the same about Mother's or Megs when compared to DP, Pinnacle, etc.

But thanks for the input.....

Howard