PDA

View Full Version : Polish after paint job, what is the waiting period?

Damnhor2
03-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey guys!, unfortunately my car (2003 MX5) has been in an accident about 2 weeks ago, and has had it's front bumper replaced and the left side repainted.
I have a lot of paint particles on my car and I can't wait to clay/polish/paint seal/wax it.

How long do I need to wait between a paint job to the time I can polish?

trhland
03-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Hey guys!, unfortunately my car (2003 MX5) has been in an accident about 2 weeks ago, and has had it's front bumper replaced and the left side repainted.
I have a lot of paint particles on my car and I can't wait to clay/polish/paint seal/wax it.

How long do I need to wait between a paint job to the time I can polish?
i would give it a couple months at least. for now just give it some nice carnuba wax. that should tie you over.

ScottB
03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I usually wait 45-60 days after bodyshop work before using an abrasive polish. I do however immediately protect with a pure carnauba to help with UV protection.

trlblazer3
03-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I was under the impression that you shouldn't add any nauba/sealant to curing paint? The Trailblazer I had was in an accident and they specifically said no LSP for 60 days to let the paint breathe and cure properly.

shadybreal
03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I was under the impression that you shouldn't add any nauba/sealant to curing paint? The Trailblazer I had was in an accident and they specifically said no LSP for 60 days to let the paint breathe and cure properly.

I heard the same thing. I was told you need to let paint breath so that all the solvents w/ be gone. 30 days minimum is what a painter told me?

Damnhor2
03-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, That's what I heard as well. I'll give it 45 days. I think that should be enough...

lethalxls1
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I heard the same thing. I was told you need to let paint breath so that all the solvents w/ be gone. 30 days minimum is what a painter told me?

+1

julian
03-04-2008, 11:56 PM
do not seal for 60 days for most clears, else it may pop! it has to breath..
you can buff it with compound about 2-3 days after a urethane clear coat. I wait a week.
some shops do it next day. ask the shop...

The Skillmaster
03-05-2008, 03:21 AM
You should not wax or seal the paint for at least 30 days in hot climates and ideally 90 days, especially if in a colder climate. It's the one time that you will do more bad then good to the paint by putting on an LSP. The paint needs to out-gas or it can start to bubble.