PDA

View Full Version : New Buffer Question

stan0324
04-15-2019, 02:38 PM
Just purchased the Griots 6" buffer. This is my first time using a buffer and based on all my research, this was my best choice (for a 1st timer).

I will be using this machine to apply polish to my 3 cars. Do I polish the entire car (like I did in the past) and then using a microfiber towel wipe it off, or do I apply
and wipe it off is sections?

Also, I will be using the Griots red pads to apply the polish. Are the pad colors universal or are they colored by manufacturer?

Thanks

irvsmith
04-15-2019, 02:57 PM
I like the GG 6" - definitely a good all around machine. In terms of polishing process I think it would depend on the product you are using at the temperature at which you are polishing. In my experience it is better to remove the polish from a panel when done. It is easier to remove at that time.

WaxMaster1
04-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Hey Stan, congrats on the purchase! First suggestion would be to do a test spot to see if the results are what you desire. The only time I would finish the entire car is if I was using an All-In-One, but I would still test a spot first. Otherwise, do as Irv says, one panel at a time.

dlc95
04-15-2019, 03:09 PM
When using an abrasive polish, most recommend working the polish into the finish, then wiping off before moving to a new section.

The red Griot's pad is very soft for wax application purposes. They usually recommend their orange pad for general polishing purposes.

vobro
04-15-2019, 03:49 PM
When you say polish do you mean a correcting polish or a sealant?

stan0324
04-15-2019, 04:29 PM
I will be using Pinnacle Liquid Souveran and then applying by hand Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal.

WaxMaster1
04-15-2019, 04:38 PM
I will be using Pinnacle Liquid Souveran and then applying by hand Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal.

Stan, maybe apply the Wolfgang first because it will be more durable. Use the liquid Souveran as the sacrificial barrier.

stan0324
04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Stan, maybe apply the Wolfgang first because it will be more durable. Use the liquid Souveran as the sacrificial barrier.

If I do that, do I still apply the seal by hand and use the buffer for the Polish?

custmsprty
04-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Just purchased the Griots 6" buffer. This is my first time using a buffer and based on all my research, this was my best choice (for a 1st timer).

I will be using this machine to apply polish to my 3 cars. Do I polish the entire car (like I did in the past) and then using a microfiber towel wipe it off, or do I apply

Also, I will be using the Griots red pads to apply the polish. Are the pad colors universal or are they colored by manufacturer?

Thanks

Start here, read, watch the vidoes etc. It's the best free education anywhere::props:

There are how to's and videos that will answer your questions and them some. :buffing:

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

vobro
04-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Both of the products you mentioned are sealants and not polishes. Kind of redundant

conman1395
04-15-2019, 11:57 PM
I'd do both by the machine to be honest with you.

Mike Phillips
04-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Just to chime in...

Others have already chimed in and shared great advice. I'm short on time today so I'm just going to cut to the chase and answer a few of your questions although I realize others have also said basically the same thing.

For compounds and polishes you normally work "sections" about the size of a microfiber towel and then wipe off. For example, you might divide a hood into 9 sections. Before moving onto a new section you wipe off the residue left on the paint in the previous section. Also most important

When starting a new section, always overlap a little into the previous section.

Watch this video - in my opinion, it's the most clear explanation of how to buff out a car starting from scratch. I coined the term Test Spot so I think I'm qualified to explain how to do one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWXODgg8V4

Thanks

Every company has their own color code for pads and there will never be a uniform code. So what I tell people and also state in my book, "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine", is that EACH OF US must take the time to learn the color code for any pads from any manufacturer when we decide to get into machine buffing.

Don't count on someone else doing all the work for you. Any website that sells pads will explain what the pad is in the marketing copy.

Also - take some time to read this article I wrote - without a doubt, more information in this one thread than a year of reading a FB group. :laughing:

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fy736nudd)

Use one but not both. The Pinnacle is a liquid Carnauba Wax and it works great. I show this product in my class when I teach people how to machine apply a traditional wax. The Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal is a spray on synthetic sealant. I have not used this much in my life as it's not my kind of LSP - that said, lots of people LOVE IT.

They both do the same thing in a different way. They SEAL the surface.

I think you would be MUCH happier to order a quart of the BLACKFIRE One Step and some of the Griot's orange polishing pads. Machine buff out ALL your cars using the One Step. With this product, UNLIKE what I wrote above where you wipe off compoundsn and polishes after working them, with One Step you can apply to the entire car and then wipe off. It has to be one of the easiest product I have ever used and also the easiest product I have ever wiped off.

After using the One Step - then for more protection and longer lasting protection, either machine apply the Pinnacle or hand apply the Liquid Seal.

Hope that helps...

:)

Mike Phillips
04-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Here's BLACKFIRE One Step in ACTION LIVE at Detail Fest

https://www.facebook.com/Mike.Phillips.Autogeek/videos/2291788487546629/

Note - Just because I'm pulling #2000 grit sanding marks doesn't mean this product is aggressive, it means I know what I'm doing.

It will remove 90% of any swirls and scratches in your daily drivers and leave a show car finish. Anything it doesn't remove you should learn to live with.

Also - the way you see me moving the buffer is not how I would NORMALLY work a section. This was EXTREME detailing in front of a lot of strangers on BLACK paint and when doing this kind of demo you have to 100% NAIL IT or everyone around you will instantly become an EXPERT and try to call you out.

I did my first detailing class in 1987 and have been doing these types of demos live on black paint in front of huge crowds for 32 years. So I know what to do to make this type of thing work in this situation.

:)