PDA

View Full Version : To use SiO2 or not

Pages : [1] 2

Phil_M
04-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Just did an 18 month old Rogue with Collinite Marque D'Elegance and it came out pretty good. The grayish paint didn't really sparkle though. Was wondering if I could've put BF SiO2 on top, or would it just be a waste of time/money?

Phil

rlmccarty2000
04-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Pretty much a waste. SiO2 over a wax doesn’t do anything special. Use a spray wax to maintain Collinite. After the Collinite wears off or you want to change the look try a coating or a coating lite product and top it with one of the multitude of SiO2 toppers.

TTQ B4U
04-15-2019, 06:19 AM
Just did an 18 month old Rogue with Collinite Marque D'Elegance and it came out pretty good. The grayish paint didn't really sparkle though. Was wondering if I could've put BF SiO2 on top, or would it just be a waste of time/money?

I agree with the others that any SiO2 over top of a synthetic/wax will not bond properly. IMO the depth that you're looking for will come first and foremost from the polish. I love CarPro Essence as it's not only a fantastic polish but it also goes a step further and incorporates a combination of semi-permanent fillers along with high gloss durable SiO2 based resins both of which bond at a microscopic level to provide what they label as an extreme gloss enhancing look. It really is there too as I've used it side by side and love it.

From there I would suggest applying their Cquartz Coating. You'll only need 1 layer and from there you can top it with Gliss for not just added gloss but a super slick surface that coatings alone tend to lack. I just re-did my Q50 and the metallic flake really pops (https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166697612/original.jpg)! I hope if the sun it out today to get some nicer pics.

Just keep in mind the color is a constraint too as it's often hard to get grey's to really pop their flakes out in the sun. Here's a Honda I did last summer that came out nice. Pic 1 (https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/167736773/original.jpg), Pic 2 (https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/167736766/original.jpg), Pic 3 (https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/167736771/original.jpg)

Here's a Rav 4 that popped pretty well (https://pbase.com/timothylauro/2016_toyota_rav_4_gallery) though.

tim500
05-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Can Si02 be used after BF all in one?

Route246
05-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Pretty much a waste. SiO2 over a wax doesn’t do anything special. Use a spray wax to maintain Collinite. After the Collinite wears off or you want to change the look try a coating or a coating lite product and top it with one of the multitude of SiO2 toppers.

Agree 100% with this. I use spray wax weekly over Collinite and it is both simple to wipe off and the finish remains glossy indefinitely, assuming you wipe it down with spray wax on a regular basis. I apply Collinite once a year now but it probably gets 40+ spray wax wipe-downs during that period, depending on how many times I wash the car.

FUNX650
05-03-2019, 03:19 PM
To begin with:
I come from the “topping” school-of-thought
where it’s recognized that Sealants are applied
first; then (if one so desires) the Sealants can
be with “topped” with Waxes.

Just did an 18 month old Rogue with
Collinite Marque D'Elegance...

Was wondering if I could've put
BF SiO2 on top, or would it just
be a waste of time/money?

•If you’re talking about BLACKFIRE SiO2
Spray Sealant (BF-380), then, IMO:

-“Topping” Marque D'Elegance with this Sealant
would be a bass-ackwards process—at least
according to my aforementioned “topping”
awareness.

Bob

fightnews
05-03-2019, 04:17 PM

Phil

Would of been better to do the sio2 first. The new sio2 sprays do work over wax though . You dont need the stripped down paint to apply it like the old sio2 products. You can use pinnacle si02 spray on top of souveran carnauba wax.

Anyway to answer your question I'd wait until after the first wash to apply the sio2 minimum.

fightnews
05-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Can Si02 be used after BF all in one?

Yes

fightnews
05-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Supposedly you dont need to go through a tedious coating process to enjoy the new autogeek brand sio2 sprays

mdi
05-11-2019, 05:07 AM
so I have just applied the blackfire ceramic coating and am trying to figure out
1) do I need a second coat and if its been several hours between can this be done
2) the difference between the coating booster and the SIO2 spray and
3) which to use when any advice would be greatly appreciated

acuRAS82
05-11-2019, 05:20 PM
so I have just applied the blackfire ceramic coating and am trying to figure out
1) do I need a second coat and if its been several hours between can this be done
2) the difference between the coating booster and the SIO2 spray and
3) which to use when any advice would be greatly appreciated
1) Not sure about second coat, will let someone else answer.
2) The Booster is thinner. Some claim it’s hard to tell if it’s even adding value, it’s so thin. I myself can see an increase in glassy shine when applying it, but have no clue if it has any real longevity or not. The SiO2 Spray is much more substantial, way better as a standalone, can last weeks for some or months for others by itself. I believe this has a lot more sealant polymers than the Booster.
3) Pick one and go for it, don’t buy a gallon of each like I did. The SiO2 Spray is more popular and will probably alter the look and characteristics of your coating more while adding some decent protection, and I would think using it every 1-2 months max would be fine.
If you prefer your coating characteristics and look and only want a slight shine refresh without adding much durability/protection, I would recommend the Booster and you can use it probably as often as you want is my guess.

fightnews
05-11-2019, 07:54 PM
You can definitely use the new Sio2 sprays over carnauba wax products. Ive done it and Pinnacle even recommends it.

You probably won't get the paint to pop unless you polish. At the very least a paint cleaner.

AZpolisher15
05-11-2019, 09:53 PM
On a related note, I've been using the BF SiO2 Spray recently. Can I apply McKees Paint Coating over the top of it without removing the BF?

acuRAS82
05-11-2019, 10:19 PM
On a related note, I've been using the BF SiO2 Spray recently. Can I apply McKees Paint Coating over the top of it without removing the BF?

This doesn’t sound like a good idea, not if you want predicted longevity from the coating. BF SiO2 has polymers in it besides SiO2 and, additionally, your surface isn’t squeaky clean anymore.

Larry A
05-12-2019, 07:55 PM
I would think that since s102 is a form of silicone, that it can go over or under any other silicone product. By the way polymers are also a form of silicone