PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with a DA polisher issue

Pages : [1] 2

brunoranger
04-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Hello all

I have a brand new black car that I want to ceramic coat and I was doing the necessary prep steps beforehand and trying it out on one panel first. I washed, used Iron fallout remover, clay barred, and began to polish (this is my second time using a DA polisher - previously used it on a 5 year old black car and received good results). My first run at it this time, I used V38 from chemical guys polish and a white brand new pad, and after 2-3 tries, I noticed the paint is hazy and may have either uneven paint removal or just bad technique. I am worried I ruined my trunk (the panel I tried it on), because of the hazing. Previously I used an orange pad and received good results on my 5 year old black car. What do you all think I could have done wrong? The speed on my Torqx didnt seem to matter, I tried all. I lubricated the pad first. I may have used too much polish but I only did what I thought was good (5 dots)....how do I fix the haze now? This is brand new paint. Car is 4 weeks old. All I wanted to do was a light polish before ceramic coat.

Maxreed241
04-10-2019, 05:09 PM
What make and model is the car?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

brunoranger
04-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Its a Tesla Model 3

Maxreed241
04-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Its a Tesla Model 3You may have soft clearcoat. I would suggest a light foam polishing pad. Such as the blue buff and shine flat pads.

brunoranger
04-10-2019, 05:28 PM
You may have soft clearcoat. I would suggest a light foam polishing pad. Such as the blue buff and shine flat pads.

But did I ruin my paint by doing this? If I do purchase that blue buff pad on Amazon that you're referring to - what about the polish? Which polish is good for 'soft clearcoats'

Maxreed241
04-10-2019, 05:34 PM
But did I ruin my paint by doing this? If I do purchase that blue buff pad on Amazon that you're referring to - what about the polish? Which polish is good for 'soft clearcoats'My guess is, you didn't ruin your paint. Just has haze to it. I would get a different polish to go with the pads.

Meguiar's has their new M210 which was designed for soft paints. I havent used it but I'm sure it works good. I have used M205 plenty of times but not M210.

I believe Menzerna has a good finishing polish as well. I don't know which one it is though.

Just a personal preference. I like Meguiar's products a lot.

VISITOR
04-10-2019, 06:06 PM
i would try another polish with both the white and orange pad that you already have. cg's polishes/compounds aren't known to be their better products...

Goonie75
04-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Meguiars 210 with LC white or black. Menzerna SF3800 or SF3500 with same pads. Enjoy using both.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

dennis hiip
04-10-2019, 07:40 PM
I can't imagine that you ruined your paint. Good advice above.

Dr Oldz
04-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Tesla paint is notoriously super super soft. What you need is a very fine finishing polish and a foam pad with little to no cutting ability. You will also need a quality Micro fiber towel for any time you touch the paint.

Last Tesla I did, was final polished with Menzerna 3800 and a black LC flat Pad on an 8mm orbit DA polisher.
I have also used Megs 210 with great results also.

brunoranger
04-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Appreciate all the advice guys.. anyone have any specific links to a pad, say on Amazon, that they know is good for the soft paint on my Tesla?

dlc95
04-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Appreciate all the advice guys.. anyone have any specific links to a pad, say on Amazon, that they know is good for the soft paint on my Tesla?

I use the blue Buff and Shine pads with Menzerna SF3500 quite often.

Buff and Shine 5.5 Inch Flat Foam Pads (https://www.autogeek.net/buff-and-shine-5-inch-flat-foam-pads.html)

WRAPT C5Z06
04-10-2019, 10:35 PM
I don’t find ultra soft pads to be optimal on soft paint. My favorite is the LC white thin pro or Rupes yellow pad. Sonax perfect finish, optimum hyper polish work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

rangerbay
04-11-2019, 07:24 AM
Why don't you buy from autogeek?
They sponsor this forum.

Desertnate
04-11-2019, 07:40 AM
I don’t find ultra soft pads to be optimal on soft paint. My favorite is the LC white thin pro or Rupes yellow pad. Sonax perfect finish, optimum hyper polish work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I too use the white LC Thin Pro or Flat Pads on my vehicles with soft paint. I'll add Sonax 04/06 and Optimum Hyper Polish to the list of good finishing polishes for soft paint.

OP: If you do buy pads make sure you get a few to work with. You don't want to do the entire car with only one pad. It will saturate with polishing product and also start to get hot. The saturation will effect the quality of the polishing and the heat will shorten the life of the pad.