PDA

View Full Version : Birdzilla ... CAUGHT ON CAMERA

Pages : [1] 2

Don M
04-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Does everyone remember Birdzilla? The mystery bird who left massive poo on the Camaro? Well it struck again, this time on the wife's car and the neighbor's car.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_Birdzilla_2.jpg

I finally "caught" him/her on camera ...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_Birdzilla.jpg

As you can see, it's a huge ROBIN, which means methods of "Extreme Prejudice" are out of the question. I've seen it "nesting" on both mirrors AND the cowl area at the base of the windshield (fortunately, my car is now in the garage and out of reach), but the messes it leaves on the wife's Explorer are as you can see, massive. I put some Meguiar's #40 on the mirrors hoping the smell and feel of the protectant will discourage Birdzilla from sitting there doing its business, but obviously it's not working.

It seems like it's also attacking itself in the mirrors quite violently as there is a decent amount of blood on the glass of the mirrors everyday. So you would think it would get tired of beating itself up, but alas, no. This birdbrain isn't getting it. Does anyone have any less than lethal ideas to keep it away?

RobertJ34
04-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Maybe some side mirror covers? Hoping maybe it will make the bird feel like the cover is slippery/unfamiliar thus making him *hopefully* move on.
I use them when I wash my car because so much water stays inside and even using a blower takes forever to get it out. The ones I have go on/off very easy.

Sleper
04-08-2019, 07:30 AM
Go and buy a cheap snake. Put in on the car each night moving it to different locations. Birds are aftraid of snakes. I did this and it works. Snake does not even need to be proper colours.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2019, 07:37 AM
I had a robin that would perch on a tree next to my house window and attack the reflection...blood, feathers, etc. I tried everything, I guess it just knocked itself senseless eventually. Maybe a drawstring garbage bag over the mirrors when you're not driving?

Desertnate
04-08-2019, 08:16 AM
The snake idea might work. I really hate robbins. They are constantly making a huge mess of my landscaping by digging in the mulch and scattering it all over the place. For a couple years they would nest in the wreath my wife hangs on our front door. What a mess...

My bird story from this spring is the stupid animals pulling apart my window screens for nesting material.

briarpatch
04-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Be happy it's only a robin. Where I live, we have wild turkeys that will roost on your vehicle

Bruno Soares
04-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Damn, what did that bird eat? Taco Bell?

DBAILEY
04-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Bird enema

hmardown
04-08-2019, 10:39 AM
push the mirrors in. if it tries to sit on it it'll have it's beak on the glass. there won't be enough room to perch comfortably.

FUNX650
04-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Does anyone have any less than
lethal ideas to keep it away?
Make the mirrors an uncomfortable
place for birds to preen/primp. Here’s
a relatively inexpensive idea that won’t
damage the mirrors, or their housings:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/9381D985-31A1-4BC4-8622-DB846E883562.jpeg

Bob

Oz_TCH
04-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Put this pic of this angry batman on your car when you park, that Robin will be surely be afraid.

https://i.imgflip.com/12rw5f.jpg

dlc95
04-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Those darned, dirty robins!!!! Our state bird here in MI....

Always leaving huge greasy messes

dcjredline
04-08-2019, 12:51 PM
I had one doing this to mine and the neighbors too for like 2 years. Finally one of us remembered to get a fake owl and since then no problems. Mount the owl somewhere higher than the ground and that should keep the birds away like a snake would. Initially he had the owl on the ground and that wasnt working.

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2019, 02:42 PM
I had one doing this to mine and the neighbors too for like 2 years. Finally one of us remembered to get a fake owl and since then no problems. Mount the owl somewhere higher than the ground and that should keep the birds away like a snake would. Initially he had the owl on the ground and that wasnt working.

Ha...I tried an owl, I know it was on the ground at one point, I don't remember if I had it higher up or not. It didn't work, but maybe I didn't have it high enough.

PaulMys
04-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Borrow Eldo's cat. :P