PDA

View Full Version : Old wrangler paint correction help

Monsterdetail
04-07-2019, 10:33 AM
What's up everyone? Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I'm about to help a friend do a a paint correction on his I believe 98 wrangler. I have done paint correction on newer cars, but since this is older I'm not sure if there are any extra steps or precautions I have to take on the paint. The steps I'm gonna be taking are as followed:
Wash with a wax remover soap
Iron remover
Clay
Then using my da polisher with shine supply

Any advice is helpful looking to do in the next hour. Thank you

Celticsfan
04-07-2019, 10:55 AM
I'd watch for the "crows feet" on the hood. Basically the clear fails, I've had a 99 and now an 06 and both hoods have it, dont think theres much to remedy it besides a respray.

Monsterdetail
04-07-2019, 11:01 AM
I'd watch for the "crows feet" on the hood. Basically the clear fails, I've had a 99 and now an 06 and both hoods have it, dont think theres much to remedy it besides a respray.

So should we even attempt it he just wants most of the scratches off (someone wrote on it when it was dirty and now it's like stained into the paint) and a little bit of the gloss restored. I dont want to go at if its gonna remove more paint or even damage it more.

Monsterdetail
04-07-2019, 11:02 AM

I was just gonna try a all in one 1 step and see what removes or a 2 step.

Sizzle Chest
04-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Do a test spot first to find what that particular paint 'likes'. Also as stated above, watch out for any noticeable paint defects or areas that you should pay special attention to.
Other than that, go for it, have fun doing it and enjoy your results!!

Celticsfan
04-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Exactly what was said above, I’m just an amateur lol but know that for whatever reason the TJ Wrangler hoods are notorious for it, I did a one step on my doors without issue, I think just the hood is the problem area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monsterdetail
04-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys. We postponed it because I wasnt sure if i wanted to try it. Im gonna attempt to do a one step with a one step test spot on the hood. I was trying to attach a picture of the hood but the site keeps saying upload has failed.