PDA

View Full Version : Oxalic Acid

ScottMac27
04-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know the preferred dilution ratio for pure Oxalic Acid powder for stubborn hard water spot removal on paint?

I had the information once but lost it over the eons...

Sent from my Razer Phone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
04-05-2019, 07:51 PM
I'm sure Bob will be along shortly..........

FUNX650
04-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Does anyone know the preferred dilution
ratio for pure Oxalic Acid powder for
stubborn hard water spot removal on paint?

Disclaimer:
Oxalic Acid is not my preferred agent for
removing hard water spots from vehicle
paint systems.

But if you’re wanting to go that route:

IMO:
A 1:10 ratio—1oz. acid to 10oz water—should
be sufficient; [probably no stronger than 1:8].

Additionally:

1.) Don’t forget the ol’ adage:
“Do like you oughta,
add acid to water”.

2.) Also remember to neutralize the “acid wash”
with a 1:32 ratio of baking soda (BS) and water.
(~2 Tbsp. of BS to 32 oz of water).

Good Luck...

Bob

SWETM
04-06-2019, 12:24 AM
Don't know if it's needed to have a stronger dilution for hard water spots than the dilution for it when used as an iron remover and a cleaner on boats gelcoat hulls waterline and down. The recommended dilution for this is 1:32 with oxalic acid powder and water. Apply it by a soaked foam sponge of the solution or spray it on with a spray bottle or pump spray bottle. And let it dwell for 30 minutes just wet it a little more with a spray bottle if it's drying on you. Maybe there are different concentration of oxalic acid in the powder when you buy it or a stronger solution gets more fast working to desolve water spots. And what I know of it's only necessary to rinse it off very thoroughly as the water used when rinse dilute it down a lot so it won't be any problems. It's important to work in the shade or better in a garage. The warmer temperature you have the faster it will react so test to see when it's desolved enough water spots. And if not enough apply again. Be very carefull to get it on to the glass and if you have worn plastic trim or bare plastic trim. As it could etch and haze these parts. That's why it's easier to have a controlled application by a foam sponge or mf media. And to work in a garage so you minimize the overspray.

ScottMac27
04-06-2019, 04:36 AM
Okay now I'm conflicted... 10:1 or 32:1? I suppose I can experiment with with weaker solution first.

This isn't for "spots" per se but for some patches on my roof where it looks like the previous owner let some water sit.

The reason I'm going this route is way back when in the dim Jurassic Era (seems like) when I worked in a body shop we used this method and it worked real good. I just... don't remember the dilution. I'll report my findings.

Sent from my Phone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

fightnews
04-06-2019, 04:47 AM
Hows that work if water spots are etched in?

FUNX650
04-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Okay now I'm conflicted...
10:1 or 32:1?

I suppose I can experiment
with weaker solution first.

Good idea! :xyxthumbs:

As Mike Phillips teaches:
”Least aggressive first”.

Bob