PDA

View Full Version : scraps in black rubber bumper cover

lbjgh
04-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Over the winter I hit a tall concrete curb that wasn't visible because of snow cover and scraped the bumper cover on my Honda Ridgeline. see below

I was thinking about sanding down the scraps then using something like a propane torch (ahhhhhh I know) to idea was to hide the sanding marks.

I might be out in left field with this plan but how would you deal with the issue?

tx (new guy here)

Paul A.
04-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Maybe a heat gun first before going nuts with a "flame thrower".

Rsurfer
04-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Over the winter I hit a tall concrete curb that wasn't visible because of snow cover and scraped the bumper cover on my Honda Ridgeline. see below

I was thinking about sanding down the scraps then using something like a propane torch (ahhhhhh I know) to idea was to hide the sanding marks.

I might be out in left field with this plan but how would you deal with the issue?

tx (new guy here)

Is it rubber and not plastic? If it's plastic, you can use heat.. don't know about using heat on rubber.

lbjgh
04-04-2019, 01:19 PM
To be honest I don't really know if it is plastic or rubber. It's somewhat flexible. I've got a feeling its plastic.

Rsurfer
04-04-2019, 03:19 PM
To be honest I don't really know if it is plastic or rubber. It's somewhat flexible. I've got a feeling its plastic.

The bottom will need some touch up paint. Try washing the bumper and take another picture and post it.

Coatingsarecrack
04-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Applying heat to plastic in my past experiences has added a “shine” to them. Even so probably better than th scrarches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbjgh
04-06-2019, 12:35 AM
I took a couple of additional pictures today and will post them tomorrow

milesvdustin
04-06-2019, 01:02 AM
What's a new part cost?

lbjgh
04-07-2019, 06:41 PM
What's a new part cost?

I have no idea but I bet with labour it would be $600-800

Here is another picture

vobro
04-07-2019, 07:19 PM
I had scratched my lower chin spoiler on my work truck and I knew it would happen again, black Plast-dip matched perfectly and is still looking good 1 year later

UncleDavy
04-07-2019, 08:01 PM
A propane torch near a fuel tank is always a bad combination.

PaulMys
04-07-2019, 08:10 PM
A propane torch near a fuel tank is always a bad combination.

Ah, c'mon UD..... Live a little. :laughing:

milesvdustin
04-07-2019, 09:56 PM
I would look online for that part, install it yourself. I got a whole rear bumper cover for the wife's car for 200 bucks, came factory color. A lot of times that black trim stuff isn't too bad. Usually easy to replace, can find tutorials on YouTube.

EDITED TO ADD: I found that lower bumper cover at several sources between $230-350 depending on who you buy from. Doesn't look too hard to remove and replace, just a bunch of screws and clips.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

392hemi
04-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Clean area and whole bumper with an APC, dry and apply some kind of trim protectant and just live with it. Should cover it well enough to hide it. One of those trim coatings or semi permanent products.