PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Ultimate Protectant - Why?!?

ge0rge
03-31-2019, 12:41 PM
I used this on the trim yesterday, applied to a microfiber pad, wiped it on lightly, wiped dry, and after an overnight rain it had ran down over the paint everywhere. Never had a product do this, so disappointed. Now I need to figure out how to remove it without washing everything again. Safe to say, it wont be used again. Sorry to rant, but I feel better, kinda...

Eldorado2k
03-31-2019, 01:03 PM
It’s a water based product so it sort of comes with the territory. Works better for interior surfaces like plastic door sills and door panels if that’s how you like them. For exterior trim you’re better off using a trim sealant.

ge0rge
03-31-2019, 01:09 PM
I get that, but then why market it as a product that can be used on the exterior. One day of longevity, really, hell the cheap krap out does this stuff. What do you recommend?

Eldorado2k
03-31-2019, 01:27 PM
I get that, but then why market it as a product that can be used on the exterior. One day of longevity, really, hell the cheap krap out does this stuff. What do you recommend?

Blackfire Total Trim & Tire Sealant.
Alot of people like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190331/dce3c4d7cb483237ffcbf79d00ee95f4.jpg

ge0rge
03-31-2019, 01:32 PM
Is this similar to TW Endura Shine Trim Coating?

Eldorado2k
03-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Is this similar to TW Endura Shine Trim Coating?

Nope. 2 different animals. TW Endura Trim Coating is a semi permanent coating whereas these sealants are more like re apply every 3 months or so give or take. I have and use the TW Endura and I like it, but there’s times where it’s gold and others where you’re not ready for that kind of commitment for whatever reason such as maybe you’re not 100% sure if it will perfectly mate with the that particular trim and you don’t have the patience to try and find out.. Or maybe you’re not in the mood to get that tedious and perfect with the application of it.. Or maybe the customer isn’t paying for 1-2 yrs. worth of protection and looks.. That’s where these sealant products make things quik & easy. There’s a time and a place for both types.

acuRAS82
03-31-2019, 01:51 PM
Mckees Trim Protectant is also similar durability as the two Eldo mentioned. Can’t go wrong with any of the 3.

ge0rge
03-31-2019, 01:52 PM
Very informative, I appreciate the explanation. I have about 14 bottles on the TW, but dont want to put it on a newer vehicle, I like the idea of not so permanent. Thanks again!

Eldorado2k
03-31-2019, 02:26 PM
Very informative, I appreciate the explanation. I have about 14 bottles on the TW, but dont want to put it on a newer vehicle, I like the idea of not so permanent. Thanks again!

You’re more than welcome. I’m always happy to help answer any questions if and when I can. Appreciate your reply.[emoji1417]

briarpatch
03-31-2019, 08:58 PM
Only down side to the Blackfire product pictured is that it is hard to find, if you can find it at all(old formula). I was lucky enough to grab some a while back when it was being closed out. I use it for tires for anyone who does not like shiny/glossy tire dressing. I've used other products (Chemical guys silk shine) that say you can use them on exteriors, only to have them run down the side of my truck when it rained. Currently using Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and having excellent results.

I just happen to have a 4oz bottle of the Blackfire stuff, which I'd be happy to ship to you. I know that doesn't sound like much, but a little goes a long way. PM me your address and I'll send it out this week

ge0rge
04-01-2019, 05:04 AM
Only down side to the Blackfire product pictured is that it is hard to find, if you can find it at all(old formula). I was lucky enough to grab some a while back when it was being closed out. I use it for tires for anyone who does not like shiny/glossy tire dressing. I've used other products (Chemical guys silk shine) that say you can use them on exteriors, only to have them run down the side of my truck when it rained. Currently using Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and having excellent results.

I just happen to have a 4oz bottle of the Blackfire stuff, which I'd be happy to ship to you. I know that doesn't sound like much, but a little goes a long way. PM me your address and I'll send it out this week

I appreciate the offer but save it for yourself or someone else in need. I may give the Wolfgang or McKees a shot. I found the Blackfire but for $50 I will pass. This forum is filled with people willing to go above and beyond to help. Thanks to everyone for offering up solutions.

Eldorado2k
04-03-2019, 06:29 AM
Only down side to the Blackfire product pictured is that it is hard to find, if you can find it at all(old formula).

I believe this new bottle is the same as the old version I posted a picture of.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/a198822e37de48ccb1146399e32e21e3.jpg

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-trim-sealant-trim-restorer.html)

Desertnate
04-03-2019, 07:42 AM
I appreciate the offer but save it for yourself or someone else in need. I may give the Wolfgang or McKees a shot. I found the Blackfire but for $50 I will pass. This forum is filled with people willing to go above and beyond to help. Thanks to everyone for offering up solutions.

I haven't tried the Wolfgang product, but I have used the McKee's Plastic Trim Restorer for a couple years now and I'm really pleased with it.

Belo
04-03-2019, 08:38 AM
i really like WETS. A little goes a long way and no runoff issues.