PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on Lexus paint?

Bobbykart
03-29-2019, 07:12 PM
I am used to polishing my vette, gonna tackle the wife's Lexus( oh help me). It's black and hasn't been polished, and it
is 6 years old and sits outside. I will give it the full wash, decon, clay. It looks a bit scratched, I was thinking M205 with a polish pad to start. Any tips? Wish me luck

Bill D
03-29-2019, 07:17 PM
I’d have a product like Eraser on hand after using M205 because it’s known to have a lot of oils in it. If you have any isolated deeper scratches here and there you will need a compounding pad and M105. I’m betting there are some on a car in that kind of environment.

Paul A.
03-29-2019, 08:33 PM
I would bet my future PowerBall winnings it will be softer than your Vette. The wise and sage advice of using the least aggressive for your first test spot will confirm (or deny) that.

Every single Lexus I have worked on was at least medium to soft.

Every.Single.One.

Rsurfer
03-29-2019, 08:57 PM
I am used to polishing my vette, gonna tackle the wife's Lexus( oh help me). It's black and hasn't been polished, and it
is 6 years old and sits outside. I will give it the full wash, decon, clay. It looks a bit scratched, I was thinking M205 with a polish pad to start. Any tips? Wish me luck

Do a test spot and that will be your best tip.

TheMeanGreen
03-29-2019, 09:07 PM
I’d have a product like Eraser on hand after using M205 because it’s known to have a lot of oils in it. If you have any isolated deeper scratches here and there you will need a compounding pad and M105. I’m betting there are some on a car in that kind of environment.

No CarPro Eraser, it won't strip the TSO's found in M205 off the clear coat. Duplicolor Grease and Wax remover, and also far cheaper than Eraser.

OP, I have an 02 GS300 in Midnight Pine Pearl, not quite as soft as the blacks but still requires as much work to take care of. If the car has never been polished before, M205 on a polishing pad will enhance the finish quite a bit, but do single passes at a time as M205 can migrate through the polishing to burnishing stage.

TheMeanGreen
03-29-2019, 09:09 PM
I would bet my future PowerBall winnings it will be softer than your Vette. The wise and sage advice of using the least aggressive for your first test spot will confirm (or deny) that.

Every single Lexus I have worked on was at least medium to soft.

Every.Single.One.

This is true, there is a '10 Stare Fire Pearl and an '02 Midnight Pine Pearl sitting in my drive way, the white is a little harder than the green, but both are relatively on the medium to soft side of the scale.

Bill D
03-29-2019, 09:28 PM
I use Akyra Klean to strip oils but I didn’t mention it because it’s no longer available.