PDA

View Full Version : New member - Help with 2019 Corvette

Vette Ski
03-29-2019, 04:37 PM
New member - Help with 2019 Corvette

Hello,

Not very computer literate but hopefully found my way here.

A short time ago I purchased a G 21 ( and blackfire one step ) from the geek. I hope not to do any damage to my new '19 black vette when I buff out the swirls on the car.

There aren't many real flat areas on the car. It sat on the new car lot for 4-5 mos. before I bought it.

Can anyone give me some advice on this process with this machine.

Thank you so much!!

Rich K

Vette Ski
04-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Thank you ALL ,especially Mike and Paul M. for your help in guiding me along with getting me started with the correct products for my late start in life with machine detailing. I am getting TOO old to keep rubbing by hand, let the machines do the BETTER work for me !!
Thanks AGAIN!!!
Rich

DetailKitty
06-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Hi Rich! Glad they could help you.
Good luck!

Vette Ski
06-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Hi Rich! Glad they could help you.
Good luck!

Thanks,
Yes they all did help quite a bit, God knows what an old timer like me could have ruined on my wife's guinea pig '15 CRV Touring and then the '19 'Vette Grand Sport !!!
<:) Rich

Paul A.
06-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Welcome in to the madness, Rich. Sorry I missed a hello back in March.

Doesn't it feel great to get those results yourself?

I'm roundin' the 3 quarter pole of life myself and I wouldn't be doing this without machines.

Now, these damn computin' machines are something else altogether!

Vette Ski
06-05-2019, 07:12 PM
I know, I see my 4 grandchildren doing this computer stuff like they were born with it. Mean while I sit here pulling out what little hair I have left on my head getting this done !!
Thanks,
Rich

Mike Phillips
06-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Hey Rich,

I just now found this thread, it was in the forum group for,

Discounts and Specials for Members Only (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/discounts-and-specials-members-only/)

I've moved it to

Detailing 101 (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/)

I also edited the thread title and added the car you're working on.

:)

Mike Phillips
06-19-2019, 09:38 AM
If you need any more help using your Griot's Garage BOSS 21 with BLACKFIRE One Step, watch the video below and simply substitute the Griot's polisher for the Porter Cable you see me using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWXODgg8V4

Vette Ski
06-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Mike,
Thank you, I did a lot of research prior to doing the cars, I did not want to do any damage and as it turned out both cars I did came out great. I did my wife's CRV Touring with Griots 6" random W/ the 5" pads and the G 21,( great machines, ) using the Blackfire 1 step then the Collinite 845 wax.
I went a step further with the 'Vette by first using the Blackfire 1 step, then I did the Blackfire paint sealant then the 845 wax. But I still notice the 'Vette ( black ) still gets swirles very easily ( I used a California duster VERY lightly to remove some road dust and it got a few swirles on that area ( approx. 3' by 3' ) then I stopped using it . How do I get those swirles out, do the process over ( rebuff again in that area ? )
Thanks again,
Rich

Mike Phillips
06-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Mike,

Thank you, I did a lot of research prior to doing the cars, I did not want to do any damage and as it turned out both cars I did came out great.

I did my wife's CRV Touring with Griots 6" random W/ the 5" pads and the G 21,( great machines, ) using the Blackfire 1 step then the Collinite 845 wax.

Good combo. Griot's long stroke works great with BLACKFIRE One Step.

I went a step further with the 'Vette by first using the Blackfire 1 step, then I did the Blackfire paint sealant then the 845 wax.

But I still notice the 'Vette ( black ) still gets swirles very easily ( I used a California duster VERY lightly to remove some road dust and it got a few swirles on that area ( approx. 3' by 3' ) then I stopped using it .

How do I get those swirles out, do the process over ( rebuff again in that area ? )

I bought a duster and used it one time on a black Honda Pilot I used to own.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2Pilot_New.jpg

Being black paint everything is easy to see. The first time I used it to remove dust, I moved it from the driver's side of the hood to the passenger's side of the hood. I then looked and saw a pile of dust on the passenger side of the hood pushed there by the duster. So for me, what I saw was while it removed some dust it also simply pushed dust around on the car. My guess back then and today are the people that like these types of dusting tools the best own white and light colored cars so they don't see this dust-pushing-leaving-behind type of thing that I saw. Just my take.

As for scratching - I've never seen scratching from a duster but you are supposed to just waft the fibers lightly over the top of the paint not press the fibers into the paint. Not saying this is how you're doing it, just saying when used correctly it's not "supposed" to scratch paint.

But here's the deal - clearcoats are scratch-sensitive.

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74234-clearcoats-scratch-sensitive.html)

Bar

ry Meguiar coined this term as a way to share that while most clearcoats paints tend to be hard, they still scratch very easily and that can be hard for many of us to wrap our brand around.

So it could be the duster is simple working fine and the paint on your car is scratching easily. Maybe the swirls are in the wax? Some people have seen this...

To remove swirls in paint the only way to do this is to abrade the surface and thus level it. You could do this with the BLACKFIRE One Step. For cars that get light swirls as normal wear-n-tear, products like the BLACKFIRE One Step are great maintenance products. Don't do any topping with sealants or waxes as you'll just remove them when you buzz over them next time you use the BF One Step.

And this is the idea - from time to time, simply buzz over the primary panels, hood, roof and trunk area with the BF One Step. It only takes a few minutes after you've done the initial detail work, (wash, dry, clay machine polish), so now after washing or wiping clean, you normally don't need to clay, just buzz over these horizontal surfaces. Let the wax dry and as you have found out - it wipes off so E-A-S-Y. Then BOOM - you're back to flawless finish.

The only other alternative is to consider using a ceramic coating on the paint but to do this you would have to remove the BF One Step as a coating will not bond properly to waxes and sealants. To do this, simply machine polish with a dedicated polish and then chemically strip the paint and then install the coating.

Crazy stuff huh?

That's why for my own daily driver, a mundane Lexus RX350 - Just use the BF One Step. If she starts looking tatty I just hit her again with the One Step. I keep the process fast and simple so I'm more likely to do it. If I make the process long and complicated and skip it.

Don't know if the above helped but I tried.