PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide which coating to buyI知 curious

waterman
03-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Hello,

I will be coating my brothers black dodge caravan. I知 torn between mckees37 or pinnacle. I have used the old version of the mckees37. I知 curious if anyone has a preference between the two.

Thanks

ejaf
03-27-2019, 01:04 PM
I have used the old version of Mckee's as well as the new. Never used Pinnacle.

All I can say is that I would suggest taking the time and searching this forum, as well as the other sub forums; there is a wealth of experience and information, as far as both products concerned, which will allow you to choose between them. Just don't get stuck in "analysis paralysis" as long as I did ;)

Eric

Mike Phillips
03-27-2019, 01:32 PM
I'd say both are very easy to use.

My first coating how-to article dates back to 2011 - not as long as some but probably longer than most.

Here's what I know from learning the hard way - experience.

READ THE DIRECTIONS

The most important direction to find and know is the part where the manufacturer tells you how long to wait after applying their coating to a section of paint before wiping off any high spots. If you wait too long - some coatings are incredibly hard to wipe-off.

Now if you follow directions - no problems....

Besides that, just like a great custom paint job, all the hard work is doing any paint correction work and the initial prep,

Washing and drying - for me this includes wheels and tires so a COMPLETE wash job - 2 hours
Claying or using a clay substitute to remove any contaminants - sometimes I clay after washing and sometimes I use a clay towel or mitt when I'm washing
Compounding
Polishing
Chemical stripping

Ahh.... finally to the part where I install or "apply" the coating.

Also - in my experience the other most important factor for installing a coating is having the right microfiber towels for chemical stripping and for final buff.

I have articles on towels for coatings, if you want I'll cyber-dig them up. Can't think of what terms to type into Google at this moment?

I would say most enthusiasts usually don't have the right towels for installing ceramic paint coatings.

:)

waterman
03-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Hello,

Thank you both for the replies. I have done several coatings with Wolfgang Uber but want to try something different. I narrowed it down to the mckees37 and pinnacle.

I am very thankful to have all of this information. I also had the great experience attending the roadshow class in October. There was a blue towel we used to remove the coating from the rolls Royce. I will find them when I place my order today.

Bruno Soares
03-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Good point on the towels. I think this article comes to mind: Microfiber towels for ceramic paint coatings - How to care for - by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/117436-microfiber-towels-ceramic-paint-coatings-how-care-mike-phillips.html)

waterman
03-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Hello,

Mike, I found your post from 1/29/18 about towels and coatings.

I’m going to get the mckees37 coating.

Thank you