PDA

View Full Version : Which pad do you recommend

haze10
03-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Got a 2003 tan Corolla that I want to buff and then coat with Gyeon Mohs. The car is old, but the paint is in fair condition. It still has shine. But also a couple of blemishes, ie tree sap stains, scratch, etc. This is not an exercise in perfection, as vehicle is far from show quality - got the Mohs as a present and want to try it. So I want to do one reasonably quick clean up of the paint. Then two coats of Mohs.

I got the Harbor Freight orbital and the Lake Country 5" Orange and White pads. Also Griot's Fast Correcting polish.

With only a single pass in mind, and two coats of Mohs, which pad would be best - the orange or the white? How about buffer speed - fast of slow? Any other application recommendations are welcomed.

SWETM
03-27-2019, 04:41 AM
I would try both orange and white pads and do 2 test spots. The one you think looks the best you go with. Try to get some light to the test spot and if possible out in the sun. If the more coarse pad get you the same clear finish and also correct the best it's a winner. Remember with coatings is that the defects gets like magnified while other LSP can hide the defects to some extent.

Get the Gyeon Prep to get the polishing oils off before you apply the coating. Also have enough mf towels so you use separate for polishing and Prep wipe down and the leveling and removal of coating residue. So you don't wipe off the coating with a mf towel used to wipe off any other LSP. Even if it's washed thoroughly I would not risk it and get new mf towels for the Prep and the coating application.

/ Tony

Mgavin1985
03-27-2019, 05:01 AM
Orange and the Girots Fast correcting cream is a good compound to work with it actually finishes out very well for compound. I never believed in test spots until I tried it myself it does help if u already have the pads try doing 2 spots in middle of hood with the different pads then pick from there. If you only plan on one step that’s where you can see which finish u prefer. If your planning on two stepping the paint Orange has more defect removal it’s firmer than the white.

haze10
03-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I think I'm just going with the orange pad. My only concern was that it would leave the paint dull, and then the Mohs would just lock in that dull appearance. But I think based upon the age of the car, the orange pad, and the mohs top coat will be fine. This is my first time polishing so I just wanted to ask questions first.