PDA

View Full Version : Slight paint marring

Rtrick87
03-26-2019, 10:54 AM
I have slight marring on the hood of my metallic grey paint. My car is two years old... I wash it almost weekly when the weather allows. This year is the first time I’ve noticed some marring on the hood. Is this from washing the car when it’s had salt on it, using a foam snow broom to remove snow when there’s salt on the paint? Or could it be from my washing methods?

My washing method is pre rinse with my PW, use chemical guys snow foam in my foam cannon followed by two bucket method of cleaning with a mitt. I was using a detailed image waffle weave drying towel to dry the paint when I first got my car and noticed very little marring on the hood so I stopped using it and went with a chamois instead since it was always damp I felt it did better not marring the paint. Then I polished the paint probably in October and everything looked perfect. Then maybe two months ago I noticed the marring again and on a nice random 50 degree day polished it out and it looked good again with no marring under the sun or under the gas station lights. And now again I’m noticing some marring on the hood. I rinse off my mitt after every wash and wash it in the wash every other wash. 66209

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
03-26-2019, 11:09 AM
I would start using multiple mitts during your wash. You might want to run your foam cannon while washing as well creating a flowing soapy barrier that can help prevent marring. I not only foam my car with my foam gun for starters but constantly run soapy water against the paint with it while whisking the paint with the mitt. Doing this for the entire car is extreme but I’ve never had to polish my 9 year old car by washing this way.

I only use PFM towels now to dry. I remain pleasantly amazed at how well they work.

Eldorado2k
03-26-2019, 01:13 PM
If it was me I’d replace the soap used in the bucket with Carpro Reset as it’s noticeably the slickest car shampoo I’ve ever used.

Continue with your pre wash rinse and foam.

Invest in a few more mitts.

Replace your chamois with a Large Griots PFM drying towel and never use your drying towel to dry the windows and try to avoid the window trim, windshield cowl, and plastic exterior pieces.

Chamois are great at drying, but they don’t provide any sort of surface within them to pick up and hold any possible dirt while drying and that dirt could wind up getting dragged along the paint causing the so called “marring”

Pick a quik detailer or similar spray product and use it as a drying aid. [or maybe skip the use of a drying aid as using them will lead to having to rub the paint with the towel compared to being able to simply drag the towel and dry it effortlessly. It’s a matter of preference]

Try to keep a non stop solid layer of protection on your paint year round. It’s much easier to wash & dry a vehicles paint when your wash & dry media just glides over the surface as opposed to having it drag due to little to no lsp on the paint.

Get a secondary drying towel for those less desirable areas on the vehicle i.e. rocker panels and bumpers.

Start your drying process with the vertical sides of the vehicle, this allows you to prime your drying towel so by the time you get to the hood you’re now using a damp drying towel which some people believe to be ideal.

Do a sheeting rinse in order to have less water to dry off to begin with...

I think that covers everything.

Rtrick87
03-26-2019, 01:18 PM
If it was me I’d replace the soap used in the bucket with Carpro Reset as it’s noticeably the slickest car shampoo I’ve ever used.

Continue with your pre wash rinse and foam.

Invest in a few more mitts.

Replace your chamois with a Large Griots PFM drying towel and never use your drying towel to dry the windows and try to avoid the window trim, windshield cowl, and plastic exterior pieces.

Chamois are great at drying, but they don’t provide any sort of surface within them to pick up and hold any possible dirt while drying and that dirt could wind up getting dragged along the paint causing the so called “marring”

Pick a quik detailer or similar spray product and use it as a drying aid.

Try to keep a non stop solid layer of protection on your paint year round. It’s much easier to wash & dry a vehicles paint when your wash & dry media just glides over the surface as opposed to having it drag due to little to no lsp on the paint.

Get a secondary drying towel for those less desirable areas on the vehicle i.e. rocker panels and bumpers.

Start your drying process with the vertical sides of the vehicle, this allows you to prime your drying towel so by the time you get to the hood you’re now using a damp drying towel which some people believe to be ideal.

Do a sheeting rinse in order to have less water to dry off to begin with...

I think that covers everything.

Thanks. I use wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant about once every 4 months and then use mckees 37 si02 spray about once a month.

Eldorado2k
03-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Thanks. I use wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant about once every 4 months and then use mckees 37 si02 spray about once a month.

Does your paint bead water at a high level non stop with that routine? When was the last time you clayed the paint and how often would you say it needs to be clayed?

Rtrick87
03-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Does your paint bead water at a high level non stop with that routine? When was the last time you clayed the paint and how often would you say it needs to be clayed?

It beads nicely. I plan on claying hopefully before the pollen starts. But honestly I think I’ve clayed this once cause it was brand new and I was afraid to scratch it while claying. Lol.

Eldorado2k
03-26-2019, 01:38 PM
It beads nicely. I plan on claying hopefully before the pollen starts. But honestly I think I’ve clayed this once cause it was brand new and I was afraid to scratch it while claying. Lol.

2yrs. 1 clay? Your protection better be damn good or else your paint is probably in need of a major claying right about now... The difference between rough paint and smooth as glass paint makes a big difference and could be the deciding factor in whether your paint develops swirls or makes it through all the touching unscathed.