PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 VRG HD - First Impressions

Pages : [1] 2

Trevine
03-26-2019, 06:22 AM
As some of you may have read in an earlier thread from me, I was trying to decide between a Rupes Mille and the Fex 3401 to compliment my Rupes LHR15 MKII and the Rupes 75. In the end, there we're so many good reviews of the Felx that I went that route.

My primary objective was to speed up the cutting process. Man does the Flex ever deliver in that area and DID NOT disappoint. Sure the Rupes LHR can get the job done, but I just wanted faster corrections. I cannot compare the 3401 to the Mille but here is my take on the comparison vs the Rupes LHR:

Cutting power? Thats a hard one as there are many variables to consider. Each car and paint condition is unique but there is no doubt this thing makes the first correction step MUCH faster. A WIN for sure.

Is the Flex louder? Yes. I would say its mostly coming from the gear drive but definitely louder. However, it's not terrible.

How about that reverse orbit? Well, that was one thing I was muling over but honestly, when I turned the machine on for the first time, it wasn't even noticeable. I was already using it when the thought came into my head and it didn't bother me at all.

Smoothness? Rupes wins in the smoothness category. Again, I attribute this to the gear drive but the flex is not as smooth but not terrible enough to make a difference to me.

"Grabby"? Yes the flex is very grabby but to me, thats its job. It just plain cuts. You definitely need to have both hands on it at all time and pay attention. That said though, you FEEL the power of the machine too.

While I am barely into my first car with the Flex, I think the goto combo given my tools is the Flex for the first correction step then switch to the Rupes (with washer mod :0) for the final polish step. Should be a great combo.

Hope this helps someone in their choices as well.

Mike Phillips
03-26-2019, 08:12 AM
As some of you may have read in an earlier thread from me, I was trying to decide between a Rupes Mille and the Fex 3401 to compliment my Rupes LHR15 MKII and the Rupes 75. In the end, there we're so many good reviews of the Felx that I went that route.

Yes I remember that thread and moving into the future, for anyone that would like to check it out, here's the link...

Rupes Mille or Flex 3401 (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/122507-rupes-mille-flex-3401-a.html)

My primary objective was to speed up the cutting process. Man does the Flex ever deliver in that area and DID NOT disappoint.

That's been my observation for the last 10 years. When I wrote the FLEX how-to book, for every how-to book I've written I try to find a unique way to sign it. When it came to figuring out the FIRST time what to write inside the cover of the book for someone I was signing a book for, here's what simply came naturally to me.

The FLEX 3401 is BEAST!!!

Master the Beast!

And that's how I've been signing that book ever since and that's how the FLEX company came to officially name the XC 3401 the BEAST.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/FLEX_CAT_01.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/FLEX_CAT_02.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/FLEX_CAT_03.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/FLEX_CAT_04.JPG

[QUOTE=Trevine;1624095]

Sure the Rupes LHR can get the job done, but I just wanted faster corrections.

I agree. ANY polisher that can remove paint and thus level the paint surface can do correction work, it's just matter of speed and all those pesky personal preference factors. :)

I cannot compare the 3401 to the Mille but here is my take on the comparison vs the Rupes LHR:

Cutting power? Thats a hard one as there are many variables to consider. Each car and paint condition is unique but there is no doubt this thing makes the first correction step MUCH faster. A WIN for sure.

A quote I use from Jason Rose all the time,

Topcoat hardness is an unknown factor

(I never steal other guys stuff and share it like it's my own, I always give due credit where credit is due - I can't say the same for other in the blogosphere)

Is the Flex louder? Yes. I would say its mostly coming from the gear drive but definitely louder. However, it's not terrible.

I have never tested/compared or even paid that much attention but you're probably right. Me? I just want to go fast.

How about that reverse orbit? Well, that was one thing I was muling over but honestly, when I turned the machine on for the first time, it wasn't even noticeable. I was already using it when the thought came into my head and it didn't bother me at all.

I agree. To ME it's a non-issue. All tools are going to have their own unique characteristics, especially a gear-driven tool be it an orbital or a rotary or even the BuffPro polisher, which is a gear-driven cylinder polisher.

Smoothness? Rupes wins in the smoothness category. Again, I attribute this to the gear drive but the flex is not as smooth but not terrible enough to make a difference to me.

Agree.

One thing I would point out or recommend to everyone using a BEAST, as you're working around a panel, RE-INSPECT the pad alignment to the backing plate. When buffing HARD and especially when going up on edge to buff a thin panel, you will cause the pad to shift on the backing plate. No problem, just remove and re-attach. Watch for it too.... you'll hear it and feel it when the pad shifts - so train your yourself to be aware for it. Especially if and when you go up on edge. I teach this in my detailing classes.

"Grabby"? Yes the flex is very grabby but to me, thats its job. It just plain cuts. You definitely need to have both hands on it at all time and pay attention. That said though, you FEEL the power of the machine too.

Well said. Any grabbing taking place is the pad and the abrasives GRABBING the paint and removing it fast. :laughing: The tradeoff for smooth and easy is power.

While I am barely into my first car with the Flex, I think the goto combo given my tools is the Flex for the first correction step then switch to the Rupes (with washer mod :0) for the final polish step. Should be a great combo.

Hope this helps someone in their choices as well.

I agree.

Starting with the BEAST and finish out with BigFoot - a great tag-team for perfect paint in a time efficient manner.

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of the FLEX 3401 after your initial use. Over time I'm sure you'll have more feedback to share.

:)

Dr Oldz
03-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Well said!

I love the 3401 and If I could only have one polisher, it would be the one!

dcjredline
03-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Well said!

I love the 3401 and If I could only have one polisher, it would be the one!

I agree!!!!

Trevine
03-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Who says white has to be boring. Look at that white shine on this HellCat. This is with my new love...The Flex

VISITOR
03-26-2019, 07:05 PM
there's a reason why the 3401 has been around as long as it has. tank build quality, and dependable reliability..

WRAPT C5Z06
03-26-2019, 08:52 PM
I heavily prefer using my 21mm polisher over the 3401. However, I’ve owned every forced rotation polisher out there(including festool) and the 3401 is the only one I still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Joel1979
03-26-2019, 10:25 PM
I gueas different people get different results. I have allways found that long throws cut more than forced da. This almost sounds like a troll but each to its own.

SWETM
03-27-2019, 04:27 AM
I gueas different people get different results. I have allways found that long throws cut more than forced da. This almost sounds like a troll but each to its own.

If I remember correctly you are from Finland? I'm from Sweden. And what I have been wondering about is if there are any difference from the electric motors when they run on 110v or as we have 220v-240v. If we get a higher torque from them or something. Or if 700W is that and no difference if it's on a 110v electric outlets or if you have 700w on a 220v-240v outlet. If we have an advantage of the 220v-240v to get less pad stalling.

Then it's much of the personal preference and how you like to work with the polisher.

But the Beast is without any question a great polisher or it would not be around for so long.

sudsmobile
03-27-2019, 08:44 AM
Having an opinion on something is not a registered trademark. Two people can have the same opinion on something and both can have arrived at that opinion exclusive of each other.

Trevine
03-27-2019, 09:04 AM

And just because an opinion and preference is different than yours doesn't mean it's a troll.

If reading comprehension escaped you, I do have a long throw and "I" prefer the new Flex for SPEED after just one use compared to my Rupes LHR.

mk9750
03-27-2019, 09:19 AM
I went through the same decision process as you did - Couldn't decide between he flex or the Mille. Ended up following the recommendation of the preponderance of folks here, and bought the Flex. All of the positives everyone extolled are true. The only negative I came up with is I think it is heavy working on vertical panels, but that is compared to the GG6 I started with.

It's impossible for me to say if I'd have been happier with the Mille, but I know I am happy with what I bought.

Hellcat looks great!

Paul A.
03-27-2019, 09:49 AM
It is a testament to all the machines mentioned in this thread that we continue to "discuss" our opinions and preferences.

The Flex vs. Rupes has been going on since they came out and the GG6 gets thrown in as well. When opinions are shared on THIS forum I pay attention. With that said, I read opinions however then base a buying purchase on actually using it myself. I have tried and used all machines mentioned and they all have their virtues. I then usually keep my opinion to myself and know I am happy with what works for me.

I never argue for or against personal preferences however totally agree with Trevine's evaluations. I also like and respect Joel's opinion and preference.

Again, a testament to both machines.

Tony brings up a great technical question as well...i.e. does 220 do anything different than 110-120? (I don't think it would as its mains or "user" supplied electricity to operate the machine rated capacity). Being such a wonderfully diverse community here someone can probably answer that.

dcjredline
03-27-2019, 09:53 AM
TROLLS come to a thread and down talk the subject in it and try to promote their opinion for reasons that dont contribute to the thread. lol lol lol

Paul A.
03-27-2019, 10:25 AM
Yes, and I can almost immediately discount them (silently)!