PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz High Spots After One Week

Pages : [1] 2

mrmarkmac
03-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Last weekend I applied 2x CQuarts UK 3.0 and Gliss. I was out of town all week so the car sat in the garage. This weekend I pulled it out as it was overcast and cool so I wanted to apply DLUX to trim.

once outside I found 5 or 6 small high spots when looking in one particular angle. I tried buffing but they were solig and flash CQ flash color.

i took a hand polish pad and applied a very small amount of M205 by hand, lightly. While I was happy to see it removed the high spot, it was alarming how easy.

The finish still felt slick. However I’m not sure if that’s the polish, or still CQ/gliss.

Im out of CQ, but have gliss. Should I apply gliss to these spots just to be safe? just having it outside for 30 min and the car is oreads covered in pollen!

392hemi
03-23-2019, 07:58 PM
Last weekend I applied 2x CQuarts UK 3.0 and Gliss. I was out of town all week so the car sat in the garage. This weekend I pulled it out as it was overcast and cool so I wanted to apply DLUX to trim.

once outside I found 5 or 6 small high spots when looking in one particular angle. I tried buffing but they were solig and flash CQ flash color.

i took a hand polish pad and applied a very small amount of M205 by hand, lightly. While I was happy to see it removed the high spot, it was alarming how easy.

The finish still felt slick. However I’m not sure if that’s the polish, or still CQ/gliss.

Im out of CQ, but have gliss. Should I apply gliss to these spots just to be safe? just having it outside for 30 min and the car is oreads covered in pollen!

This is my issue with coatings. What if you had left the highspots alone? Were they that obvious?

If money and time isn't an issue, I would order more UK and apply. I know, it's annoying.

Other option is just to apply Gliss to those areas and keep an eye on them.

Also how do you know if the highspot was the UK or gliss?

You probably know this by now, even after waxing always try to pull car out and assess your work. Often it looks amazing in the garage, I'll go somewhere and see a wipe mark or haze I missed lol.

Good luck!

gsmarquis
03-23-2019, 08:07 PM
I have had the exact same issue. I have twin 4 yr olds so my coating/polishing times are usually from 7pm-1am or so in the morn. I have a ton of lights in my garage but will find a high spot or two the next day in the light. I have never polished them out just let it be. They do bug me though. How easy did the buff off happen? I was tempted to polish them and reapply UK3.0 in just that spot and not polish the whole panel.

I had three high spots on my black suburban. I did nothing with them. I noticed a year later they are about 15% of the original high spot size. Maybe 20 hand car washes.

mrmarkmac
03-23-2019, 08:19 PM
If money and time isn't an issue, I would order more UK and apply. I know, it's annoying

Also how do you know if the highspot was the UK or gliss?

Good luck!
Once back in the garage I can see the spots I polished on the black roof. So I’m ordering another CQ UK. I need to do my wheels and was going to use DULX but I’ll just use CQ.

I know it was CQ in a few spots because it was the rainbow color, and not white like gliss.

mrmarkmac
03-23-2019, 08:23 PM
How easy did the buff off happen? .

It was alarming how easy. Just a dab of M205 on a hand applicator pad and maybe 5 seconds of circular polishing by hand. Immediately buffed and they were gone.

As I mentioned, the coatings were only on there 6 days so I’m not sure if that allowed it to buff easier.

After seeing three spots I buffed on the roof, I need to re apply CQ on them as it will drive me nuts every time I see it. They’re so small that it should be pretty easy and painless to polish up a little better, earaser and CQ+gliss again.

mrmarkmac
03-23-2019, 08:26 PM
This is my issue with coatings. What if you had left the highspots alone?

Good luck!

There was only two that really were visible from most angles outside. I wish I had left the rest alone looking back, as they were pretty hard to see.

392hemi
03-23-2019, 08:27 PM
There was only two that really were visible from most angles outside. I wish I had left the rest alone looking back, as they were pretty hard to see.

Lol the curse of an Autogeek. If I could go back in time and wish I couldn't see swirls.

The Guz
03-23-2019, 08:49 PM

It is not that alarming. Coatings don't form that thick of a layer to begin with. It also takes a little more than a week to fully cure. You would be fine just applying Gliss to those areas. I have left high spots on purpose and they tend to retain there size over the long term. That is a good sign that the coating is pretty durable.

mrmarkmac
04-06-2019, 09:46 AM
So the car has been in the garage pretty much since I put CQ+gliss on. As noted above I just hand polished off a few high spots.

When I took the car out the other day it wasn’t suppose to rain, but my luck as usual it did a little. What was interesting is that the beading was crazy, but I could clearly see different type of beading where I hand polished the high spots.

Any suggestions on how to just touch up those spots? The car is still slick to the touch, so I was thinking the following in these 5-6 spots.

Light clay,
Hand polish if required
Eraser localized area
CQx2
Gliss

The car has a black roof, and in the garage I can see the two spots I did with hand polish easily. They don’t have the gloss/shine like the rest of the roof. I’m assuming that comes back after re-applying CQ+gliss to match the rest? Or should I worry about DA polisher on those to really make them shine like the rest before?

The Guz
04-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Did you touch up those areas with coating after you removed those high spots?

mrmarkmac
04-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Did you touch up those areas with coating after you removed those high spots?

No. That’s what I’m looking to do now. Just touch up those areas given the rest of the car just had the coating applied.

mrmarkmac
04-07-2019, 05:32 AM
I washed the car with reset yesterday and two things I noticed with the locations I hand polished the high spots. Reset soap acted different with more of sheeting than beads of soap. Second was when I dried the car, those locations has more residue.

Planning to tape them off, clay, polish, eraser then Reapply CQ.

TTQ B4U
04-07-2019, 05:44 AM
I washed the car with reset yesterday and two things I noticed with the locations I hand polished the high spots. Reset soap acted different with more of sheeting than beads of soap. Second was when I dried the car, those locations has more residue.

Planning to tape them off, clay, polish, eraser then Reapply CQ.You dont have to whip put all that. Just lightly hand polish with Essence if you have it or whatever polish you have used and then reapply the coating over those areas. It will turn out fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mrmarkmac
04-07-2019, 07:00 AM
You dont have to whip put all that. Just lightly hand polish with Essence if you have it or whatever polish you have used and then reapply the coating over those areas. It will turn out fine.

I polished to remove the high spot. When the car is dry, I can’t see the difference, except the black roof. I figured I should re-polish the black areas to better blend it, as once I put CQ back on, I assume it will look as it does now. On the black, it just doesn’t have the gloss and shine where I hand polished.

hoyt66
04-07-2019, 07:38 AM
I polished off Exo and Csl very easily with m205 and a white pad. I was shocked how easily. That being said I am a HUGE fan of that brand coating. I have applied them to multiple cars and believe its a great coating if cared for properly.