PDA

View Full Version : Wait, WHAT? What do you NOT like about your polisher??

Pages : [1] 2 3

prostar
03-23-2019, 03:53 PM
In my research of polishers, I'm hoping to ask the typical question in reverse. Normally, the obvious question(s) is:

"What the best polisher?"
"What do you LIKE most about your polisher?"
Etc...

I'm hoping to learn the flaws or maybe even the improvements you see in the polisher you own.

This question is open to all skill levels, but love to hear from beginners, like myself.

Cheers folks! Looking forward to hearing your answers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
03-23-2019, 07:05 PM
I think the only things that would make me happier with a Boss G15 is lighter weight and quieter motor. Neither of those is an issue with just this polisher, they all feel heavy and loud so it’s not like I had a choice. I also use a PC 7424XP with 3” backing plate for smaller areas. I would buy a Rupes ibrid nano if I made money with detailing. Too expensive for a weekend detailer.

MrOneEyedBoh
03-23-2019, 07:19 PM
I just upgraded from the HF DA polisher to the GG6 DA polisher... What a difference. The GG6 unit is leaps and bounds better.

PaulMys
03-23-2019, 07:29 PM
I use my PC as a 3" as well. What I don't like about it is you can't lie it down on its back very well. Otherwise, it could use a rubber pad on the shroud.

No real complaints with my GG6. I know 99 out of 100 guys hate the D handle, but I am that 100th guy. I like the handle and use it to rest the polisher when I set it down. I also like that I can hold it by the handle with one or two fingers instead of having to grip the barrel at all times.

MrOneEyedBoh
03-23-2019, 07:30 PM
I use my PC as a 3" as well. What I don't like about it is you can't lie it down on its back very well. Otherwise, it could use a rubber pad on the shroud.

No real complaints with my GG6. I know 99 out of 100 guys hate the D handle, but I am that 100th guy. I like the handle and use it to rest the polisher when I set it down. I also like that I can hold it by the handle with one or two fingers instead of having to grip the barrel at all times.I too liked the D handle.

392hemi
03-23-2019, 08:03 PM
I did a lot of research. Having owned a PC7424 for well over a decade.

I purchased a 3inch backing plate and pads for the PC and pur based from Autogeek the Griots Boss 21 package with 5 inch and 6.5 inch backing plates and pads.

I chose the Griots for the lifetime warranty vs the Rupes. Both are good systems. I was surprised how much faster and quicker a long throw did work, vs my old porter cable.

I'm not a pro and don't detail for money. Just an enthusiast, do my own and family cars. You cant go wrong with any system.

prostar
03-23-2019, 10:24 PM
I just upgraded from the HF DA polisher to the GG6 DA polisher... What a difference. The GG6 unit is leaps and bounds better.Nice! What did you not like about the HF? Is there anything not to like about the GG6?

prostar
03-23-2019, 10:27 PM
I think the only things that would make me happier with a Boss G15 is lighter weight and quieter motor. Neither of those is an issue with just this polisher, they all feel heavy and loud so it’s not like I had a choice. I also use a PC 7424XP with 3” backing plate for smaller areas. I would buy a Rupes ibrid nano if I made money with detailing. Too expensive for a weekend detailer.The extra weight doesnt get your arms ripped???? Jk. The thought of those Shake Weights cross my mind.

Does the weight mainly come from the motor itself?

Do detailers care about weight balance of the polisher?

Coatingsarecrack
03-23-2019, 10:37 PM
Wish the Rupes was cheaper... woulda bought around 300-320. Wish my boss 15 would start polishing by itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prostar
03-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Wish the Rupes was cheaper... woulda bought around 300-320. Wish my boss 15 would start polishing by itself

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm sure we are not too far off from automated polishing...Skynet....

Jimbo with his sunglasses as...Arnold.[emoji23]

Eldorado2k
03-23-2019, 11:06 PM
G21 Boss Polisher - Cord is too long and flimsy. I wish it was shorter so I could have more of my extension cord and less of the polishers thin cord following me around.

prostar
03-23-2019, 11:09 PM
G21 Boss Polisher - Cord is too long and flimsy. I wish it was shorter so I could have more of my extension cord and less of the polishers thin cord following me around.Interesting. Do you know any power difference with and without extension cord? The factory cord should have been designed in to deliver optimal power.

RZJZA80
03-23-2019, 11:11 PM
Also referencing the BOSS polishers cords, they seem to be right in the middle of short and long. Shorter would be ok, add an extension cord, and longer would be ok, probably not needing an extension cord. As of right now, they are right in the middle. Tha's pretty much my only gripe with the BOSS polishers though.

Eldorado2k
03-23-2019, 11:11 PM
Interesting. Do you know any power difference with and without extension cord? The factory cord should have been designed in to deliver optimal power.

I haven’t tested enough to see if there’s a power difference, but I doubt it since I use a 14 gauge cord and the polishers cord is 16 gauge... I’ve actually started using a 50’ 16 gauge extension and haven’t seen a difference in power.

RZJZA80
03-23-2019, 11:13 PM
I haven’t tested enough to see if there’s a power difference, but I doubt it since I use a 14 gauge cord and the polishers cord is 16 gauge... I’ve actually started using a 50’ 16 gauge extension and haven’t seen a difference in power.

I use a 12 gauge 50' cord for everything. At 50' I think it matches the 16 gauge shorter cord. There's a calculation for it around somewhere.