PDA

View Full Version : Morning dew and coatings, does it matter

MrOneEyedBoh
03-23-2019, 01:25 PM
I was just wondering and couldn't find anything via searching, but say you apply the coating the it sits 5-6 hours then gets hit with some dew. Do you think that hinders the coating? Most say no moisture for 24 hours...

The Guz
03-23-2019, 01:48 PM
It is possible. I once tried using CanCoat and it was exposed to dew overnight. The hydrophobics took a hit as the water beading and sheeting were lacking.

SWETM
03-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Not a coating though but happened for me with Ultima Paint Guard Plus. It's has a curing time before moisture can be on it. But the dew came in right away after application. The next wash the water layed flat.

And I think that SiO2 in it nature absorb water. So as guz mentioned what happened with CanCoat you can experience it could make a dent in the hydrophobic top layer of the coating.

FUNX650
03-23-2019, 04:32 PM
...say you apply the coating the it sits
5-6 hours then gets hit with some dew.

Do you think that hinders the coating?
Most say no moisture for 24 hours...
IMO:
The main “hindering”, (that may occur if
the Coating were to get hit with some
dew/moisture sometime during the initial
24 hours waiting/(curing) period,) would be
that the Coating just might not be able to
achieve the ultimate/maximum level
of its performance characteristics.

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
03-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Thanks... I dont know what I should do... Im in fear that I might get hit with some dew overnight/this morning... Using M37 paint coating...

limited0602
03-23-2019, 10:13 PM
Thanks... I dont know what I should do... Im in fear that I might get hit with some dew overnight/this morning... Using M37 paint coating...
Apply it first thing in the morning and let it bake in the sun all day.

Edit: You could also apply the McKee's 37 10 minute paint sealant before the day is over.

SWETM
03-24-2019, 04:43 AM
Apply it first thing in the morning and let it bake in the sun all day.

Edit: You could also apply the McKee's 37 10 minute paint sealant before the day is over.

This would be a great thing to do. For makeing sure you get the most out of your coating application.

MrOneEyedBoh
03-24-2019, 05:37 AM
I applied it yesterday and the waited about , 2-3 hours a day applied 10min pain seslant over it. Let's see how it holds up...

chris11le
03-24-2019, 05:40 AM
Sounds crazy but this is the biggest reason im considering making my garage door openings higher.... To fit my truck in so I can let it cure "indoors".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fightnews
03-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Sounds crazy but this is the biggest reason im considering making my garage door openings higher.... To fit my truck in so I can let it cure "indoors".

I was just going to say it's pretty hard to do all this polishing coating stuff outside. You need a day that's dry but not sunny. And not going to create dew overnight. I'm lucky I have a garage to use otherwise I wouldn't be able to do most of the stuff I've done polishing wise.

I was considering getting a storage unit big enough to detail in if the day ever comes when I don't have access to a garage. At the very least I need one of those covers I forget what they are called. It's like a tent but even then that doesn't really stop everything.

chris11le
03-24-2019, 06:23 AM
I was just going to say it's pretty hard to do all this polishing coating stuff outside. You need a day that's dry but not sunny. And not going to create dew overnight. I'm lucky I have a garage to use otherwise I wouldn't be able to do most of the stuff I've done polishing wise.

I was considering getting a storage unit big enough to detail in if the day ever comes when I don't have access to a garage. At the very least I need one of those covers I forget what they are called. It's like a tent but even then that doesn't really stop everything.Yep I asked around here if one of those tents would be OK.

I even have one with side and end panels to block as much as possible but was told it still might be an issue depending on overnight humidity levels.

Self storage idea is one i didn't think about. Just not sure the minimum number of months around here. My cars fit in the garage just fine, only my truck is the issue.

limited0602
03-28-2019, 12:32 PM
I applied it yesterday and the waited about , 2-3 hours a day applied 10min pain seslant over it. Let's see how it holds up...

What's the verdict?