PDA

View Full Version : McKee’s 37 wax remove for plastic

JHForman
03-21-2019, 07:03 PM
I’m thinking about ordering this as I have some old stubbborn wax that is in my plastic, if you apply this to remove the wax from the plastic does it also remove the wax from the paint on the vehicle ?

PaulMys
03-21-2019, 07:11 PM
I would bet that it would, or at the very least degrade it.

I would tape off the (waxed) paint before using the McKee's.

Bruno Soares
03-21-2019, 07:37 PM
I had better luck with fresh stains. Old ones improved but weren’t eliminated. Now their trim restorer/sealant really is amazing.

hmardown
03-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Good luck trying to get dried up wax off of plastic. I’ve tried a few products including the one you mentioned. Nothing seemed to help. I’ve got those porous hard plastic mud guards on my pickup. I might take them off and try to hit them with something stronger. But not sure with what. I now take the extra time to tape everything off. Taping a vehicle off is just as much work as detailing it. Good luck and don’t forget to post how you make out. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHForman
03-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Good luck trying to get dried up wax off of plastic. I’ve tried a few products including the one you mentioned. Nothing seemed to help. I’ve got those porous hard plastic mud guards on my pickup. I might take them off and try to hit them with something stronger. But not sure with what. I now take the extra time to tape everything off. Taping a vehicle off is just as much work as detailing it. Good luck and don’t forget to post how you make out. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn’t sound promising at all lol

JHForman
03-21-2019, 07:55 PM
I had better luck with fresh stains. Old ones improved but weren’t eliminated. Now their trim restorer/sealant really is amazing.

Did the restorer take care of hiding the old stains?

Bruno Soares
03-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Did the restorer take care of hiding the old stains?

In my case it wasn’t wax. It was either polish or sealant. The product did a fine job hiding it because it does darken the plastic. Not like Solution Finish would but in a nice way that makes it look fresh again and beads water very well. I didn’t have a big area though so even if it’s not 100%, chances are no one sees it. It was my first time trying to skip taping. Now I just spend the time taping so it doesn’t happen again.

fly07sti
03-21-2019, 10:46 PM
The McKee’s wax remover for plastic may work. It also may take a couple rounds with a small brush to eliminate or diminish the stain. My go to lately for trim that has old wax, sealant, etc stains is TarX by Car Pro. Spray some into a towel to wipe residue away or spray into a brush to work into stain (especially textured trim) and wipe away with a separate, clean towel. Then top with a dressing, dye or coating.