PDA

View Full Version : Did I NOT apply this coating correctly? Images inside..

Pages : [1] 2

MrOneEyedBoh
03-21-2019, 04:35 PM
So as you guys know I applied a coating last weekend, and today was the first day of rain. I had some holograms so I polished them out on the passenger door, I didnt apply any coating to that door yet. Fast forward today, I went to check the water behavor on the other panels and it looks like the coating is failing/contaminated on the hood and the drivers side door (has the coating on it, untouched) and the door thats been polished off look the same... Any idea on WHATS going on?

This weekend Im going to do the whole truck again but unsure if I should apply the coating again.

My process was to wash, clay and polish. I did NOT chemical decon as I thought I was out of IronX but I just found a bottle today. After polishing I used eraser twice and n-914 once around the vehicle. The panels HAD to be clean...

Maybe I did use enough product? Maybe I wiped it too hard? Maybe I didnt spread it long enough? Do I need to wait longer before removing it?

Any suggestions on this next go around? I have Prep-sol by Dupont butI try to stay with the manufacture's recommendations when using a coating...

Thanks.

Edited: IM going to use a One-step polish... Should I continue to use the LC Flat white pads? I know that pad doesnt have much bite at all, but I think IF I go up to a orange, I'll get some pad induced marring... no?

Calendyr
03-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Ok.

So first what coating were you using and how did you apply it?

How did you do the wipe to remove high spots?

How long did you wait before doing the wiping?

Did you expose the coating to water within 24 hours after application?

MrOneEyedBoh
03-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Missed a line in your text. Let me think...

Thanks I dont know what to expect from this coating, but I would think on the panels that were buffed off, the water should'nt bead at all, right? Maybe its super tough lol.

Calendyr
03-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Thanks I dont know what to expect from this coating, but I would think on the panels that were buffed off, the water should'nt bead at all, right? Maybe its super tough lol.

Water behavior depends on the type of coating. Some sheet water super fast, others bead like crazy. Regardless, you should see a big difference between the coated and uncoated panel. You should also see a difference in the color of the paint, coatings make the paint a little darker and shinier.

MrOneEyedBoh
03-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Water behavior depends on the type of coating. Some sheet water super fast, others bead like crazy. Regardless, you should see a big difference between the coated and uncoated panel. You should also see a difference in the color of the paint, coatings make the paint a little darker and shinier.

Hmm not the case... I dont know whats going on. Im just going to redo it with BOSS correcting cream I guess wipe again with eraser a few times and then N914 and then coat it again... Maybe go heavier on the coating?

The Guz
03-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Was the car dirty when it rained?

Try just using one prep product.

MrOneEyedBoh
03-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Was the car dirty when it rained?

Try just using one prep product.

I dont know WHATS going on this year, Im striking out left and right.

I mean it should'nt have been... We havent gotten pollen yet really and I didnt drive it...

I guess I should stick with N-914 then..

Mike lambert
03-21-2019, 06:06 PM
What is n-914? And what coating are you using?

MrOneEyedBoh
03-21-2019, 06:44 PM

n-914 is Mckees prep solution ( when mixed correctly ) and I used Mckess 37 paint coating

Did you teach at a high school, asking because the name rings a bell...

Bruno Soares
03-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Panel wipe from McKee’s 37. It’s a rinseless wash product that diluted 1 part product to 8 parts water works as panel wipe and that’s the one they recommend using before McKee’s coating.

When I used that coating it did darken the paint and made it extremely glossy. It was visible the car had been coated. Decent beading too. I applied it spreading a 2x2’ area and wiped away immediately which is how they direct us to do.

Not sure what’s going on with yours :(

Calendyr
03-21-2019, 11:52 PM
McKee's is the easiest coating to apply on the market. I do half a panel at a time and it works perfectly. Very forgiving on wiping time too. So I doubt that the issue came from the installation step. Unless you wiped with so much pressure that you removed it completelly, if that is even possible. Not sure how McKee's coating binds to the paint but for other coatings it starts to cure on contact, so it only takes a few seconds to create the bond. The SiO2 layer is supposed to be about 1 to 2 microns thick... that is increadibly thin.... 100th the thickness of the actual paint... so I really doubt you can wipe it all off without using solvents. I might be wrong.

MrOneEyedBoh
03-22-2019, 04:21 AM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking I mixed up the n914 in correctly....

Actually I think it's correct. I was thinking I used too much. But when mixing a whole gallon of paint prep, I used almost the whole bottle.

Nevermind lol. Im not sure what's going on. Maybe I was using too much polish, and the film left on the paint was too much and I'm not actually removing all of the polish film/residue

fightnews
03-22-2019, 04:32 AM
So as you guys know I applied a coating last weekend, and today was the first day of rain. I had some holograms so I polished them out on the passenger door, I didnt apply any coating to that door yet. Fast forward today, I went to check the water behavor on the other panels and it looks like the coating is failing/contaminated on the hood and the drivers side door (has the coating on it, untouched) and the door thats been polished off look the same... Any idea on WHATS going on?

This weekend Im going to do the whole truck again but unsure if I should apply the coating again.

My process was to wash, clay and polish. I did NOT chemical decon as I thought I was out of IronX but I just found a bottle today. After polishing I used eraser twice and n-914 once around the vehicle. The panels HAD to be clean...

Maybe I did use enough product? Maybe I wiped it too hard? Maybe I didnt spread it long enough? Do I need to wait longer before removing it?

Any suggestions on this next go around? I have Prep-sol by Dupont butI try to stay with the manufacture's recommendations when using a coating...

Thanks.

Edited: IM going to use a One-step polish... Should I continue to use the LC Flat white pads? I know that pad doesnt have much bite at all, but I think IF I go up to a orange, I'll get some pad induced marring... no?

Didn't see picture but are you using contaimenated (with polish or wax) towels on the wipe down? Just washing the towels is not enough u need dedicated towels.

fightnews
03-22-2019, 04:35 AM
Hmm not the case... I dont know whats going on. Im just going to redo it with BOSS correcting cream I guess wipe again with eraser a few times and then N914 and then coat it again... Maybe go heavier on the coating?

Stick with one product on wipedown (eraser). I know how it is with a new car but no need to reinvent the wheel here.

SWETM
03-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Did you apply the coating on the passenger door and then removed it with polish on a polisher?

Wipe of the passenger door and inspect in a lighting that you see the holograms you removed. Why I ask is cause a newly applyied coating that has cured is not an easy to remove. Just so the polish have not masked the holograms or you have not checked if they are still there.

On what car did you apply the coating on and how much coating in the bottle did you use?
So others can chaim in on how much of McKees coating they use on a car.

Another thing is also even if you can get it wet after 24h. You would not be touching it in any way for at least a weak so you are safe. The coating cure during a longer time than 24h and the top layer is sensitive during this time as it cures to get even more hydrophobic surface. If you start to touch the paint with products you could make the hydrophobic caractics less than you would have gotten if letting it be. It's just a heads up not that I accuse you for have done it. And also a new paint and polished paint can also be beading and sheeting more than an older paint and also different paints is also a factor in it.