PDA

View Full Version : Question on tires air pressure gauge

Pages : [1] 2 3

java
03-19-2019, 07:10 AM
My air tire pressure seems to be unreliable. Inaccurate reading.

Which tire pressure gauge is more reliable/accurate digital or analog?

Which brand are reliable/accurate?

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2019, 07:20 AM
How do you know yours is inaccurate? Is it digital?

I still use analog gages, I got a couple recently from that river store since my old ones the seals were dried out and it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to be able to get parts for them anymore.

java
03-19-2019, 08:00 AM
How do you know yours is inaccurate? Is it digital?

No, it's a dial gauge.

This is one of the question I forgot to ask, how can I check if the gauge is inaccurate. I going by, I get a different reading when I check the tire pressure first thing in the morning. I'll will get 33 PSI one morning then the next I'll get 40 PSI and so on.

Even though the gauge will read I have 35 PSI in the tires including the spare the dash TPMS warning light will come on. The dealer said there nothing wrong with with the car or TPMS system.

Eldorado2k
03-19-2019, 08:08 AM
I believe they sell a digital gauge made by Craftsman that’s supposed to be the best 1. Look it up on youtube, they’ve got videos on it.

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2019, 08:13 AM
No, it's a dial gauge.

This is one of the question I forgot to ask, how can I check if the gauge is inaccurate. I going by, I get a different reading when I check the tire pressure first thing in the morning. I'll will get 33 PSI one morning then the next I'll get 40 PSI and so on.

Even though the gauge will read I have 35 PSI in the tires including the spare the dash TPMS warning light will come on. The dealer said there nothing wrong with with the car or TPMS system.

Ok, this is more complicated--temperature has a direct effect on pressure. So one morning could have been a different temperature (change is about 1 psi per 10°F), plus driving will heat up the tires. Also moisture content in the air in the tire can change that, too.

java
03-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Ok, this is more complicated--temperature has a direct effect on pressure. So one morning could have been a different temperature (change is about 1 psi per 10°F), plus driving will heat up the tires. Also moisture content in the air in the tire can change that, too.

Does the TPMS plays a big role in how the tire pressure behaves on cold days?

I check the tires pressure first thing in the morning before driving it. If I do drive it I make sure the tire pressure is at least 35 P?SI and cold without driving I make sure it's 32 PSI.

The last time I put air in the tire it was -3 degrees according to the dash outdoor temperature gauge.

On a SRT Durango I'm trying to get the dash tire pressure gauge to read the same as a tire air pressure gauge. It 's always off from 5 to 10 PSI from the dash to the tire gauge. It's enough to drive someone nuts.

Is there a trick to get the PSI to have the same reading? Like driving a certain amount of mileage before checking tire pressure or tire have to be a certain temperature before checking.

java
03-20-2019, 06:45 AM
I believe they sell a digital gauge made by Craftsman that’s supposed to be the best 1. Look it up on youtube, they’ve got videos on it.

Is it the Craftsman model number MS4376?

Setec Astronomy
03-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Does the TPMS plays a big role in how the tire pressure behaves on cold days?

No, it has nothing to do with it.

I check the tires pressure first thing in the morning before driving it. If I do drive it I make sure the tire pressure is at least 35 P?SI and cold without driving I make sure it's 32 PSI.

The last time I put air in the tire it was -3 degrees according to the dash outdoor temperature gauge.

This is your problem. The TPMS monitor runs off a battery, that has to last 5-10 years. The battery is activated by the motion of the wheel, otherwise it would be on all the time (even when you're not driving the car) and wouldn't last very long. If you check your TPMS without moving the car, it will be showing you the pressure reading from the last time you drove the car, when it was probably warmer than -3 and the tires were warm from driving.

On a SRT Durango I'm trying to get the dash tire pressure gauge to read the same as a tire air pressure gauge. It 's always off from 5 to 10 PSI from the dash to the tire gauge. It's enough to drive someone nuts.

I would trust the TPMS system to do it's job. Or is the problem you're having is that you get a TPMS light and you're trying to find out which wheel is low? Mine has individual readings so I don't have that problem, but I understand a lot of vehicles don't.

Bill D
03-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Mine doesn’t I have to check each tire to see but most of the time when my light goes on all four need air.

FUNX650
03-20-2019, 09:16 AM
I often get a similar variation in the readings
between the tire gauge and the TPMSs when
I either do the exchanges from the Summer
tire/wheel assemblies to the Winters (and vice
versa); or from scheduled tire rotations.

A few miles being driven down the road;
hitting the “DISMISS” message in the DIC
(until it finally goes away); or the OBDII;
is the usual cure.

Hope it isn’t that your TPMSs need replaced.

Bob

Calendyr
03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
I use a digital gauge but there should not be any noticable differences between an analog or digital gauge.

You should check tire pressure when the tires are cold. If you drive somewhere before you take the reading, the pressure can change by as much a 4 or 5 celcius... As other have mentionned air temperature also affects the pressure in the tire.

spazzz
03-20-2019, 05:08 PM
JACO-ElitePro-Tire-Pressure-Gauge is what I have.
If you set your tires at your preferred psi you have to reset the TPMS system. TPMS will alert you when there is a 3psi deviation from the set point. Well anyway that is how mine work.
I inflate mine, set the TPMS and forget about it.
Now my other car with the Flat Tire Monitor system I check more frequently

With the hose and swivel head it is easy to plant it squarely on the stem. I usually do a couple reads to confirm PSI.

It has a button you can use to release pressure if you over inflate.
Manipulating a digital pistol style gauge would feel too much like getting gum off my shoe.

Calendyr
03-20-2019, 07:41 PM
JACO-ElitePro-Tire-Pressure-Gauge is what I have.
If you set your tires at your preferred psi you have to reset the TPMS system. TPMS will alert you when there is a 3psi deviation from the set point. Well anyway that is how mine work.
I inflate mine, set the TPMS and forget about it.
Now my other car with the Flat Tire Monitor system I check more frequently

With the hose and swivel head it is easy to plant it squarely on the stem. I usually do a couple reads to confirm PSI.

It has a button you can use to release pressure if you over inflate.
Manipulating a digital pistol style gauge would feel too much like getting gum of my shoe.

Been thinking about buying a tire pressure monitor system for 2 years. Might pull the trigger this year. They are not that expensive and I think it would save a lot of time checking pressure. Also if something happens and pressure drops suddenly, you are not going around with unsafe underpressurized tires.

Oz_TCH
03-20-2019, 08:44 PM
this is mine, I like it a lot.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7889/47431227331_83cb9df6b8_z.jpg

java
03-21-2019, 06:50 AM
No, it has nothing to do with it.

This is your problem. The TPMS monitor runs off a battery, that has to last 5-10 years. The battery is activated by the motion of the wheel, otherwise it would be on all the time (even when you're not driving the car) and wouldn't last very long. If you check your TPMS without moving the car, it will be showing you the pressure reading from the last time you drove the car, when it was probably warmer than -3 and the tires were warm from driving.

I would trust the TPMS system to do it's job. Or is the problem you're having is that you get a TPMS light and you're trying to find out which wheel is low? Mine has individual readings so I don't have that problem, but I understand a lot of vehicles don't.

I check the TPMS without moving the car. It reads the PSI at start up, not from the previous night, 31-32 PSI.

Does this means the battery doesn't run off of motion? Unless it has a Lithium battery that has a 10 year life span.

One vehicle has the TPMS light the other has independent tire pressure reading and would send text alert when the air pressure get to low.