PDA

View Full Version : "Colored waxes"

DelmarvaMobile
03-16-2019, 07:58 AM
MY question is for instance if I have a white car and I'm doing a detail on it do I want to use a "white wax" or does the color really matter? Would I gain anything from a $60 can of white wax or is it a gimmick type product?

FUNX650
03-16-2019, 08:14 AM
MY question is for instance if I have a
white car and I'm doing a detail on it

do I want to use a "white wax" or does
the color really matter? Would I gain
anything from a $60 can of white wax

or is it a gimmick type product?
Without going into a long-winded dissertation,
it’s just another gimmick.

Bob

DelmarvaMobile
03-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Thank you very much, Bob.

fightnews
03-16-2019, 10:39 AM
I don't like added color on my black car. I feel that a good quality wax on well polished paint doesn't need it. Some people like them though and some of them are cleaner/polishing waxes.

They can certainly be worth 60 dollars.

acuRAS82
03-16-2019, 04:05 PM
I’ve had great results with some colored waxes (BF BlackIce, PA Black Wulfenite, plenty of Dodo waxes, Pinnacle Sig Series II if that counts). I’ve also had great results with quality non-colored waxes.

I don’t think of one kind being better than another, nor do I worry that a dark wax shouldn’t go on a light car or vice versa. The quality of the wax/brand generally determines if it performs good.

Oz_TCH
03-16-2019, 11:56 PM
I'm confused. Clear coat is colorless so how would colored wax make any different ?

SWETM
03-17-2019, 01:26 AM
If you go with the waxes for certain colors. Is mostly the blend of different waxes that make the color on your car come out more. As for black paint Montan wax is a great effect from. For light colors like white silver annd metallic paint you have white carnuaba and beeswax to get a clearer finish.

PA uses carnuaba flakes and some of them is dyed with colors that match the color coded. But they are so small so you don't notice the color in the product.

Then you had before those waxes and cleaner waxes that was colored with the product it self.

mwoolfso
03-17-2019, 10:18 PM
A real test was done in the Dodo Juice form some years back. After 3 layers, the white paint started to tint. It isn't a gimmick based on those facts, but then again why layer a wax more than 3x. :-)

Mike@ShineStruck
03-19-2019, 08:24 AM
I'm confused. Clear coat is colorless so how would colored wax make any different ?

And below that is still color
It's kind of like tinting or filtering

No one will probably see the difference if any
It's hard to see gloss difference unless jts side by side..even then it's questionable at times