PDA

View Full Version : Remove dealer applied coating

mrmarkmac
03-10-2019, 08:43 PM
When I found the Mustang with options I wanted, it had one I didn’t. Dealer applied ResistAll coating. It seems somewhat okay, but when washing water just doesn’t bead off, like I’m accustom to. Long time Zaino user, but planning to put CQuartz on it.

After IronX and clay, I was planning to do a light M205 pass with Blue pad to remove whatever this ResistAll is. The eraser and CQ UK.

When inspecting the paint, I can only see very, very, very minor swirls on the black roof, along with deal applied light scratch from washing. Swirls can only be seen under bright light. The rest of the car is Magnetic grey, and flawless for the most part.

would it be best to just use Essence Xtreme Gloss instead of the M205? My understanding is I avoid the Eraser step, but that’s minor. I have the M205! But would need to order Essence.

Any benefits either way? Wondering if Essence Xtreme Gloss would even take off the ResistAll? I believe M205 will.

Bill D
03-10-2019, 08:47 PM
I’m pretty sure M205 has plenty of polishing oils in it so with those left behind I’m not so sure how well a coating will adhere to the paint. You’d have to do a polishing oils removal step first.

pilotpip
03-10-2019, 08:49 PM
I doubt the "resist all" is anything more than a sealant. My in-laws had it applied to their car, and told me to use the "maintenance kit" that they got with it when I detailed their MKT. McKees 360 gave more beading after 6 months than resistall did after 6 weeks. Chances are it will be largely gone by the time you clay. Any additional polishing will surely get rid of all of it.

As for polishing, do a test spot and see what works best. As for the eraser, follow the directions for the coating.

Whatever you do, share pics! Love the new mustangs, magnetic is an awesome color.

mrmarkmac
03-10-2019, 08:59 PM
I’m pretty sure M205 has plenty of polishing oils in it so with those left behind I’m not so sure how well a coating will adhere to the paint. You’d have to do a polishing oils removal step first.

I read M205 oils would need to be removed. I’m assuming Eraser will take car of it.

Mgavin1985
03-10-2019, 09:04 PM
I like Essence a lot I think get a small bottle go all carpro I still do prep wipe. I love working with essence I think it has great gloss very minor cut and some filling. Easy wipe off and sun/out door friendly.

rlmccarty2000
03-10-2019, 10:29 PM
You’ve already got the 205 so just use that. There will be little (if any) difference in the shine and you will save a few bucks.

The Guz
03-10-2019, 10:52 PM
In most cases the dealer uses a sealant. So a light polish will remove it and clean up the paint. I would recommend at least two rounds of prep wipe when using M205 to remove the oils from it.

mrmarkmac
03-13-2019, 06:06 PM
Any suggestions for how many passes with m205 to just take off whatever this ResistAll is?