PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Dr Oldz
03-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Anyone try this yet? Ordered a bottle elsewhere since AG isn’t stocking it yet.

Looking forward to trying it. Most OPT products have treated me really well.

Setec Astronomy
03-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Looking forward to your review, it will be a while before I try it because I have other coatings/dressings to use up.

Ordered a bottle elsewhere since AG isn’t stocking it yet.

They seem to be slow to pick up the new Optimum products, doesn't seem like they move that well in the AG store.

Dr Oldz
03-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Looking forward to your review, it will be a while before I try it because I have other coatings/dressings to use up.

They seem to be slow to pick up the new Optimum products, doesn't seem like they move that well in the AG store.

They do seem slow. Not sure why. Perhaps AG requires a large inventory initially so they don’t sell out??

I’ll post a review after a few uses!!

ejaf
03-05-2019, 05:06 PM
I will be watching this thread also. Please do let us know. Cheaper alternative than Tuf Shine, which is the one thing that I don't like about that product.

Eric

Mgavin1985
03-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Subscribed forgot about this good thread. Best thing about tire coating is when I bought tuff shine brush to clean tire love that brush other wise the coating look good for a while where I live the dirt dulls them iup quick even though coating is still there it’s a dirty coating then. But they lead me to that brush!

fly07sti
03-05-2019, 08:02 PM
I also have a bottle on order. From everything I’ve read on it, I’m thinking it’s going to be more like Adams tire armor. Which is ok by me.

ejaf
03-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Isn't Adams Tire Armor the same (or close) to Tuf Shine? That's what these two read like on the descriptions (funny though, that both of these mentioned go on "blue", while Tuf Shine is an off white).

392hemi
03-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Please keep us posted!

DBAILEY
03-06-2019, 06:43 PM
That's a really good price for the quart compared to all the other tire coatings.

How do you plan on applying it? With one of those Carrand tire brushes that are recommended for the M37 tire coating or a normal foam tire swipe? I wonder how good air brush application would be.

Any word if the applicator will dry rubbery if not cleaned right away

Setec Astronomy
03-06-2019, 07:54 PM
That's a really good price for the quart compared to all the other tire coatings.

How do you plan on applying it? With one of those Carrand tire brushes that are recommended for the M37 tire coating or a normal foam tire swipe? I wonder how good air brush application would be.

I thought it was by far the cheapest tire coating, but someone mentioned another one that was similar price, I honestly can't remember what.

This is the application method they recommended at the OPT forum:

"How to apply: We have found the best results come from either applying with an HVLP gun (NOT the Optibond tire gun) or applying by hand with a medium pile microfiber towel (around 300 GSM) the tire should have a nice even purple color around the whole tire. A single application will give a satin/matte look. Waiting 30 minutes and applying a second coat will make the tire quite shiny. Optimum only recommends up to 3 coats at this time."

I asked about how to clean that towel and they said this:

"Immediately soak towels in Optimum Power Clean, dwell a minimum of 10 min, rinse then wash normally, do not allow to dry before washing."

Me personally I'm going to use a cheapo tire swipe and throw it out after, if I ever get any of this stuff.

Calendyr
03-06-2019, 08:10 PM
I thought it was by far the cheapest tire coating, but someone mentioned another one that was similar price, I honestly can't remember what.

This is the application method they recommended at the OPT forum:

"How to apply: We have found the best results come from either applying with an HVLP gun (NOT the Optibond tire gun) or applying by hand with a medium pile microfiber towel (around 300 GSM) the tire should have a nice even purple color around the whole tire. A single application will give a satin/matte look. Waiting 30 minutes and applying a second coat will make the tire quite shiny. Optimum only recommends up to 3 coats at this time."

I asked about how to clean that towel and they said this:

"Immediately soak towels in Optimum Power Clean, dwell a minimum of 10 min, rinse then wash normally, do not allow to dry before washing."

Me personally I'm going to use a cheapo tire swipe and throw it out after, if I ever get any of this stuff.

Wow... 3 coats with 30 minutes wait between coats... so almost an hour and a half to coat the tires. That's sad, I really don't have that much time to waste on a tire coating. Maybe for enthousiasts it would be ok, but I can't use that in my business.

Dr Oldz
03-06-2019, 08:48 PM

I want to try a HVLP gun. If this works well, it will be great for off road type tires.

I also cut up old foam buffing pads for tire dressing application. We’ll see how this works as well.

Dr Oldz
03-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Wow... 3 coats with 30 minutes wait between coats... so almost an hour and a half to coat the tires. That's sad, I really don't have that much time to waste on a tire coating. Maybe for enthousiasts it would be ok, but I can't use that in my business.

Put a coat on then do something else like apply a LSP. Then reapply. If a tire coating is worthwhile, it should be an upsell anyway to cover the extra work involved.

Coatingsarecrack
03-06-2019, 09:08 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
03-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Wow... 3 coats with 30 minutes wait between coats... so almost an hour and a half to coat the tires. That's sad, I really don't have that much time to waste on a tire coating. Maybe for enthusiasts it would be ok, but I can't use that in my business.

I think one coat is probably going to be fine, the description of 2 coats was "a glazed donut", I believe they mention 3 coats only because that is the limit before it may crack (my guess). Do you use a coating now? I mean that 30 minutes seems to be the "standard" dry time for a tire coating before recoat.