PDA

View Full Version : Coated leather and Vegan Leather

paulsiu
03-04-2019, 02:06 AM
I own quite a large number of leather product. Usually, I clean it using Lexol cleaner and then lubricated using Lexol conditioner. Until recently though, all of the cars I owned have cloth seats. Recently, I purchased a car with perforated leather seat. I was going to treat it with Lexol, too, but I now discovered that the leather seat in car are most likely to be coated. As a result, the lotion will probably never get into the leather.

Any recommendation on how to care for it. Based on research, the least I can do is to clean it with water and remove dust and dirt that can result in surface wear. I notice a video where Dallas Paint suggested coating it with a sealant like Fast Finish or Optiseal. Has anyone tried this? Someone I know recently got a Tesla 3 with "vegan" leather, which appears to be a fancy way of saying that you have a vinyl seat. I have to admit that the seat looks really close to real leather, I can't actually tell the difference. I was wondering if a sealant product may work on that, too?

Paul

FUNX650
03-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Vegan leather!?!? {WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot}

IMO:
Yet another feebly disguised attempt, at the
implementation of, the philosophy to rid the
agriculture sector of certain pollution and
greenhouse gas emissions (cow farts).

Bob

Mike Phillips
03-04-2019, 07:41 AM
The question of whether or not to put anything on coated leather comes up all the time.

Here's what I would suggest, pick a BRAND that has a great reputation for their products for the thing you want to do, in your example you want to work on coated leather, and then TRUST that that company actually has done their research and has put into the bottle the stuff that's needed to do the thing you want to do to the surface of the thing you're working on.

Kind of a BIG PICTURE approach to detailing anything.

:)