PDA

View Full Version : Here's why polishing can be confusing...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-02-2019, 11:20 AM
I have a black test hood, so I wanted to test the finishing ability of 3D ONE and Griots BOSS Fast Correcting Cream. I taped of a section and started with an orange medium cutting pad. With this combo, FCC finished better. I then tested a finer polishing white pad. Naturally, I thought since FCC finished better with the medium pad, it would do the same with a finer pad. Wrong! ONE finished noticeably better with this finer pad on this specific paint. Who woulda thunk?! ;)

Eldorado2k
03-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Pics?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-02-2019, 11:30 AM
Pics?Here's a pic using the white pad. ONE finished better. Can you tell which side is ONE? :dblthumb2:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/dac81f7fa68a7e9ef45c109d20160f10.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
03-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Yup

WRAPT C5Z06
03-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Yup
Camera is trash.

Eldorado2k
03-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Camera is trash.

Looks fine to me.[emoji328]

Paul A.
03-02-2019, 12:55 PM
I always try a few outside the box test spots and get surprised once in a while. I'm with ya wrapt.

Not only different componds/polishes but different pads, machine speeds etc.

The majority of my experiments are with the finish steps. Its fun playing with combos and the "surprises" are sheer ecstasy!

I will admit, though, I always remember what worked on THIS paint. May not on the next job.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-02-2019, 01:06 PM
I always try a few outside the box test spots and get surprised once in a while. I'm with ya wrapt.

Not only different componds/polishes but different pads, machine speeds etc.

The majority of my experiments are with the finish steps. Its fun playing with combos and the "surprises" are sheer ecstasy!

I will admit, though, I always remember what worked on THIS paint. May not on the next job.Great post, Paul!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

WristyManchego
03-04-2019, 03:02 AM
Interesting results but in line with heat being the main contributor to the haze you got.

One thing to remember is that softer pads generate significantly more heat due to their greater density and surface area making contact with the paint.

So taking out your technique being a factor (we’re all perfect), then it’s down to the heat generated by the particular compound/pad combination.

Considering the above, this probably tells you more about the temperature range of the compound and the type of abrasive (open cell/closed cell suited) than it does the pad it’s self.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Interesting results but in line with heat being the main contributor to the haze you got.

One thing to remember is that softer pads generate significantly more heat due to their greater density and surface area making contact with the paint.

So taking out your technique being a factor (we’re all perfect), then it’s down to the heat generated by the particular compound/pad combination.

Considering the above, this probably tells you more about the temperature range of the compound and the type of abrasive (open cell/closed cell suited) than it does the pad it’s self.
The orange pad was open cell, while the white was closed cell.