PDA

View Full Version : Slick polymer and bonding

paulsiu
03-01-2019, 12:29 AM
I am pretty old school and only recently learn about stuff like rinse-less, water-less, and detailer. I notice on the packages, these product often claim that it will leave polymer that will make the car slick.

This makes me wonder if these product actually interferes with sealant or wax bonding with the car? If I want to apply the wax or sealant, should I be using a cleaner to remove what residue from the rinseless, or waterless or destaiiler products?

Paul

Setec Astronomy
03-01-2019, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

TTQ B4U
03-01-2019, 06:38 AM
This makes me wonder if these product actually interferes with sealant or wax bonding with the car? If I want to apply the wax or sealant, should I be using a cleaner to remove what residue from the rinseless, or waterless or destaiiler products?

I wouldn't worry about it too too much as most sealants and waxes have some type of carrier solvent in them that will ensure the product spreads, cures and bonds. Rinseless polymers are very superficial and light. However, it wouldn't hurt to simply use a basic paint prep spray to go over everything prior.

To me a prep spray also ensures I'm reviewing the car panel by panels to see if there are any little marks or what not that might need removed or touched up. Your call, it's not necessary but it's a matter of process and what you feel good doing.

Mike Phillips
03-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Type the below into Google

miscible oils mike Phillips

Try to find an article like the one you find a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e else. Especially Facebook.

:)

FUNX650
03-01-2019, 10:17 AM
I am pretty old school and only recently learn about stuff like rinse-less, water-less, and detailer. I notice on the packages, these product often claim that it will leave polymer that will make the car slick.

•Instead of wondering if the bonding between
RWs/WWs/Detailers and Waxes/Sealants, is,
in someway, adversely affected by the ’polymers’
that RWs/WWs/Detailers are claimed to leave
behind...I’ll suggest to use a product that can
not only be used successfully as a RW/WW/
Detailer, but also claims to “leave nothing behind”.

•I chose Meguiar’s D114, (when it was still readily
available), as my “leaves nothing behind” cleaning
product—i.e.: RW/WW/Detailer.
-[When my stock of Meguiar’s D114 is exhausted,
I’ll be going to McKee’s 37 N-914—which also has
similar claims to the “leaves nothing behind” mantra.]

Note:
Just wanted to point out that...in order to squelch
any consternation you may currently have regarding
claims of certain RWs/WWs/Detailers possibly leav-
ing behind non-bondible(?) ’polymers’...there is a
less stress inducing cleaning-product that’s available: