PDA

View Full Version : Extending wax using spray wax

Pages : [1] 2

paulsiu
02-26-2019, 01:36 AM
I saw an article that said that they recommend waxing your car every 3 months. The problem is that the wax usually gives out after a month or so. I have been using Meguiar NXT, and it doesn't last long and leaves white marks on matte plastic if I am not careful.

Could I extend the base wax by using a spray wax? Currently, the car has recently been professionally detailed. I have been hand washing it and then spray it with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash. Suppose I do this diligently like every 1 week or 2 weeks, would the base layer not give out because I am extending it with the spray wax?

I notice a Meguiar has a new product recently call Fast Finish that's a spray paint sealant. I am wondering if this can be used to extend the plan even further. I could for example reapply Fast Finish every month (since it last longer) or do a combination of Fast Finish then topped with a spray wax.

What do you think?

Paul

Coatingsarecrack
02-26-2019, 03:31 AM
Fast finish protects for a while but don’t know if it would give you that waxed look. You could top uff with a wax. Griots boss spray wax gets rave reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
02-26-2019, 08:58 AM
To answer your question, if you are using a high quality, durable, spray wax consistantly it should extend the life of the base layer LSP. I've never done a full test to see exactly how long, but when I still used Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax constistantly, I did notice the water behavior of my LSP lasting longer than when left on it's own.

Are you you set on using a short lived wax for any particular reason?

There are a large number of sealants which would get you six months of protection in most cases. Using one of those would provide plenty of protection and would allow you the flexibility if using a spray wax to boost the shine or give you the desired look and not have to worry so much about durability.

jdgamble
02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
I think your first problem is the NXT. I think I tried that prior to my AG life, and it looks nice at first, but it’s gone quickly. Get some good sealant (Wolfgang Deep Gloss liquid or Duragloss 601/111 combo are my favorites) and then do the spray wax occasionally. You’ll get much better results.

To answer your original question, I believe spray wax extends sealant, but it’s hard to really tell, as you put more wax on. So what’s working at that point? Who knows? All I know is my car has so much sh*t on it it’s crazy... just cuz I love playing with products.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

paulsiu
02-26-2019, 11:17 AM
The reason I used NXT was because I thought it would last longer. I had previously use carnauba wax based product, which didn't last very long and was a pain to use (stains trim). I decided to try out a synthetic wax, which I hope will last longer, and Meguiar NXT was available at brick and mortar stores, so it was either that or Turtlewax. It did last longer than the carnauba, but not long enough. To get around the short life, I figure I could extend it using spray wax. Actually I was hoping that the spray wax would indefinitely extend the life if I do it often enough.

I was thinking about trying a sealant like Ultima paint guard plus, Optiseal or Powerlock but notice that Meguiar Fast Finish might be easier to apply and also can be purchase locally. Right now, I can't do anything because the temperature is 20F at best. I am not sure we can apply any of the product at that temperature. The garage is unheated.

Paul

The Guz
02-26-2019, 11:46 AM
NXT is a sealant and it was one of the first products that Meguiar's created to jump into the sealant category. Unfortunately it is not the most longest lasting protection. It tends to turn into a sheeting type of protection compared to beading. Which can give the false impression that it is gone. This is why most like ultimate wax as it is more durable than NXT. It was reformulated about a year ago to be more durable. You have that as an option as well. Unlike NXT ultimate liquid wax does not stain trim.

Ultimate Fast Finish is a nice product and is easy to apply. In most cases getting 4-6 months out of it is about right before needing a reapplication. Varies on the environment it is exposed to like any product. Meguiar's has stated on their forum that ultimate fast finish can be sued on top of their sealants without sacrificing longevity of fast finish.

As far as using a spray wax you certainly can. You could use it as a drying aid during your wash process as well. You will then see the performance and properties of the spray wax rather than base layer. It won't hurt anything whatsoever. ultimate quik wax does work well with any of the mentioned Meguiar's products.

I would pass on opti-seal as a choice. You will be in the same situation as you are with NXT.

jdgamble
02-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Paul,

This cold weather affords you the opportunity to pick some AG products and forget all about the auto parts stores! I'm telling you, you'll be amazed at the difference in quality. AG has 25% off sales all the time, and you won't pay tax if you are outside FL. Shipping can become free too.

If you are looking for outright durability, there is a sealant comparison thread on this site. The most durable product I have used is Duragloss 111 with 601 as a primer. It's been on my wife's minivan for like a year, and it's still there. Granted, I don't wash the vehicle often, but a year is a year.

Only caution - Car products can be terribly addictive. I think I'm up to about 10 sealants/waxes at this point.

John

PaulMys
02-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Collinite 476s is incredibly long-lasting, and a can will last you several years.

01GreyStangGT
02-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Paul,

This cold weather affords you the opportunity to pick some AG products and forget all about the auto parts stores! I'm telling you, you'll be amazed at the difference in quality. AG has 25% off sales all the time, and you won't pay tax if you are outside FL. Shipping can become free too.

If you are looking for outright durability, there is a sealant comparison thread on this site. The most durable product I have used is Duragloss 111 with 601 as a primer. It's been on my wife's minivan for like a year, and it's still there. Granted, I don't wash the vehicle often, but a year is a year.

Only caution - Car products can be terribly addictive. I think I'm up to about 10 sealants/waxes at this point.

John

That last line is soooo true. I have enough to last for years.

Route246
02-27-2019, 04:53 PM
I saw an article that said that they recommend waxing your car every 3 months. The problem is that the wax usually gives out after a month or so. I have been using Meguiar NXT, and it doesn't last long and leaves white marks on matte plastic if I am not careful.

Could I extend the base wax by using a spray wax? Currently, the car has recently been professionally detailed. I have been hand washing it and then spray it with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash. Suppose I do this diligently like every 1 week or 2 weeks, would the base layer not give out because I am extending it with the spray wax?

I notice a Meguiar has a new product recently call Fast Finish that's a spray paint sealant. I am wondering if this can be used to extend the plan even further. I could for example reapply Fast Finish every month (since it last longer) or do a combination of Fast Finish then topped with a spray wax.

What do you think?

Paul

I usually wax once or twice a year after AIO. I weekly use spray wax (50:50 OCW+FastWax) and it keeps the wax well-extended in perpetuity.

paulsiu
02-28-2019, 08:03 AM
Here are my plans then.

My Car - mostly I care that car finish is maintained so I don't really care if it looks good or not, so my car will get Powerlock every 3-6 months. Will observe how long the finish last.

My wife's car - My wife does care about how the car looks, so Meguiar Fast Finish every 3-4 months and then topped with some sort of spray wax on every other car wash or every wash (depending on how often I get to wash it). I am hoping that the spray wax will give it a better look. Actually, the spray wax will probably be optional. May be I will do one side and comapre it to the other after a couple of wash, then I will nixed the spray wax idea, too. If I do keep the spray, I may see if the base coat can be maintaiin indefinitely from the spray wax

Paul

ahslan
02-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Here are my plans then.

My Car - mostly I care that car finish is maintained so I don't really care if it looks good or not, so my car will get Powerlock every 3-6 months. Will observe how long the finish last.

My wife's car - My wife does care about how the car looks, so Meguiar Fast Finish every 3-4 months and then topped with some sort of spray wax on every other car wash or every wash (depending on how often I get to wash it). I am hoping that the spray wax will give it a better look. Actually, the spray wax will probably be optional. May be I will do one side and comapre it to the other after a couple of wash, then I will nixed the spray wax idea, too. If I do keep the spray, I may see if the base coat can be maintaiin indefinitely from the spray wax

Paul

Powerlock for you and Fast Finish for the wife seems like a good solution....I would just get a decent spray wax to use as a drying aid when doing maintenance washes on both cars since there are some quality options out there that aren't that expensive to begin with (especially if purchased by the gallon once you find one you like)...shoot, you could even get yourself a bottle of Duragloss 931 (their rinseless wash) and make a quick detailer out of it to use as a drying aid.

SWETM
02-28-2019, 04:56 PM
If you want easy and fast application. I would consider to use a kind of system that always ad a little protection behind with your maintance products too. And I think that you get a carnuaba wax look from as much you could get without being the real thing. What am I talking about is Ultima. Their sealant is Ultima Paint Guard Plus and is a wipe on walk away LSP. You apply it with their nice mf applicator sponge that is awesome to work with. The small bottle of 4oz is a little decieving as it gets you around 20 coats on a mid-sized car. And a single layer gets you around 2-3 months but it's layerble so I got 6 months out of 2 layers applyied an hour apart. So 1 prime spray on the applicator and the 1 spray per panel and the bigger panels 2 sprays. You wipe it on crosshatch and done then move to the next section. Could not get easier. The new formula is water based now so even if you have some droplets of water it's fine. When the base coats are applyied you can use it as a drying aid even but think it's a waste of product.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus 4oz., paint sealant, liquid wax, car wax, paint sealer (https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus-4.html)

Depending on the way you wash they have their Paint Guard Wash which is the car soap and has the same protection as UPGP in it. If you do waterless wash or rinseless wash you have the Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate that you can dilute to both and as a QD and clay lube. Ultima products is very concentrated which is great too but need to be more thorough when mixing up them.

Ultima Paint Guard Wash, car shampoo, auto wash shampoo, car soap, lubricating car wash (https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-car-wash.html)

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)

When you come to the point where you want to clean up the paint more deep. You have their paint cleaner Paint Prep Plus with bonding points for UPGP in it. Use it by machine or hand and it's a non abrasive cleaner. But still smooth out light scratches and marring. It does extend the longevity of UPGP very much and is cleaning the paint great.

Ultima Paint Prep Plus & Applicator, prewax cleanser, prewax polish, cleaner polish (https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-prep-bundle.html)

So for the ease of use and a nice finish on the paint and trim and rubber friendly and works on glass too. And you have the different products that keeps ad to the protection. UPGP can be used monthly. I have only heard some when used too much and often you can get it to streak easy. And with UPGP a little goes a very long way. I used to wipe the applicator on the glass to see if it still had product in it. And I live in Sweden where we use degreasers a lot and it's holding up to those really good. So have noticed it's a great protection even in harsh winter weather environment. If any drawback it's the water behavior is not so crazy as some coatings and sealants are today. But it still beads and sheet good.

Their other products is very good too. The Ultima Interior Schampo Gel is a hidden gem I think. Great cleaning ability and you don't have to bother with damped mf towel wipe down after use. Just clean what you need and wipe it off with dry mf towel. And the interior protection product you can use on most surfaces. So it's a great brand that has been around long and works great. And for doing it easy for you which I don't LOL. It's a good system to use. Some gets scared about the price but remember it's very concentrated products they have.

/ Tony

acuRAS82
02-28-2019, 09:04 PM
Regardless, for your wife’s car just use a quality spray wax. You may want one of the many that are fine to be used as drying aids since you’re applying after washes. For instance, Pinnacle Souveran Spray is a great spray wax, but not designed as a drying aid (not that you would hurt anything if you tried). Wolfgang Spray Wax or McKee’s Fast Wax or Extender Spray Wax are all marketed as drying aid-able. Aquawax is a classic as well. So is UQW which you have (although not my fave). So is the flavor of last month, Bead Maker.

If you want any suggestions, feel free to ask!

paulsiu
03-03-2019, 02:15 AM
Now that the temperature is above freezing, I took my wife's car to a touchless car wash so that I can do an undercarriage wash. Because the touchless car wash can contain harsh chemical, I drove the car back to my driveway and then use a waterless and a bunch of towels to clean off any remaining residue. I then apply wax. I have switch from Megiar Quik wax to Turtlewax Ice spray wax. It's cheaper and seems to work just as well. Surprisingly, the wax works when it is close to the freezing point.