PDA

View Full Version : Leather care suggestion

wormy
02-20-2019, 11:41 AM
All,

I have come to the conclusion that researching leather car will make your head hurt....BAD.

I recently purchased a new Toyota sienna van with Ash color leather interior for the wife. I want to keep it maintained so that it does not fall apart on me after a few years of ownership. I have read several articles about how newer leather is now coasted unlike the older stuff and that it is made that way to be more durable. I have narrowed down a few products and would like some input and suggestions from you guys as to which one to go with. AS a side not Part of me wishes that I went with a darker leather so that stains and dye transfer would not show as bad but that ship has sailed. Has any one had good luck in keep the lighter leathers maintained and cleaned versus the darker?

The products are:

Sonax leather foam and cleaner and conditioner------- I like this one as it seems to be a 2 in one that is easy to apply

McKees 37 leather shampoo and a Mckees protector ??

Ultima interior shampoo and their interior protector

Gyeon Q2 leather cleaner and the q2 leather coat

Ultimately I am looking for something that will do a great job cleaning and offer protection the leather against dye transfer ect that is easy to apply.

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

The Guz
02-20-2019, 12:09 PM
This is a good combination. Mike has a good write up on how to use them.

Review: GYEON Q2M Leather Cleaner and GYEON Q2 Leather Coat by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/110622-review-gyeon-q2m-leather-cleaner-gyeon-q2-leather-coat-mike-phillips.html)

wormy
02-20-2019, 01:33 PM
Does it make since to follow up with some type of coating from Cquartz or Gyeon in order to make keeping up with it easier?

The Guz
02-20-2019, 03:44 PM
It’s either a protectant or a coating. Personal preference.

Although I’ve seen an article of Gyeon Leather Shield maintained with Leather Coat.

I have reviews on both CarPro and Gyeon leather coatings. Feel free to check them out.

wormy
02-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Thanks again guz. Do you have direct links to the reviews or should I search the Forums?

Mike Phillips
02-20-2019, 06:33 PM
This is a good combination. Mike has a good write up on how to use them.

Review: GYEON Q2M Leather Cleaner and GYEON Q2 Leather Coat by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/110622-review-gyeon-q2m-leather-cleaner-gyeon-q2-leather-coat-mike-phillips.html)

I was impressed with this combo to restore neglected black leather - just look at the pictures I took and shared

:)

Mike Phillips
02-20-2019, 06:38 PM
My wife is really a GREAT interior Detailer - much more detail oriented than I.

She uses Pinnacle Black LBel cleaner and conditioner and then seals with the PBL Leather/Vinyl Coating.

Interior leather always looks and feels perfect.

The REAL key is using anything OFTEN. Especially high wear areas as anything you use is going to wear off.

:)

The Guz
02-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Thanks again guz. Do you have direct links to the reviews or should I search the Forums?

Searching is always a good idea when researching. But here are the reviews

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/98797-review-carpro-cquartz-leather-coating.html)

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating) (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/109399-review-gyeon-leather-shield-leather-coating.html)

wormy
02-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help so far guys.

I read that with coated leather it makes more sens to clean then use a protectant in instead of a an actual conditioner as the conditioner can attract more dirt...Thoughts on this?

wormy
02-22-2019, 04:13 PM
So after researching I have narrowed down to 3 options:

1----Ultima interior shampoo with the Ultima interior Guard

2--Sonax leather and conditioner foam

3---Sonax Profilne leather cleaner with the Profiline leather cream

Either of you guys have personal experience with any of these products? Is one prefer d over the other?

TTQ B4U
02-22-2019, 04:25 PM
AS a side not Part of me wishes that I went with a darker leather so that stains and dye transfer would not show as bad but that ship has sailed. Has any one had good luck in keep the lighter leathers maintained and cleaned versus the darker?

In terms of dye transfer, I had tremendous success on white leather and blue jean transfer with Leather Master Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner (8.45 oz) Once cleaned up I sealed it up with two coats of Leather Master Leather Barrier and the owner has been keeping me posted that it's worked great! More blue transfer occurred but it wiped right off with nothing more than regular leather cleaner and a microfiber rag. He is more than pleased. The sealant worked great.

I personally have used the Utlima product on my cars but I've always had black or charcoal / dark interior so I can't say how it would work on light colors in terms of transfer issues.

wormy
02-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I am going to pull the trigger on the McKee 37 interior kit and possible the Pinnacle Black Label leather interior kit as well.

I will report back with the performance of the products

wormy
03-04-2019, 03:35 PM
I received the McKee 37 interior kit last week and put it to work on Saturday. I will preface this by saying that I am no where near as experienced as anyone on this forum but I can honestly say I was more than impressed with the products. I could not believe at how easy the products were to use and the amount of dirt the cleaner pulled from the seats. I am now a Mckee 37 customer for life. For anyone who has not tried the leather shampoo and Leather Guard UV 50 I cannot recommend it enough

wolfpack1
03-04-2019, 11:22 PM
I've had good luck with Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.