PDA

View Full Version : DIY making your own products

Bshann21
02-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Hello fellow detailers

has anyone tried making there own degreaser using alkaline salts like in Australia there is a product called tricleanium has anytried mixing that product with hot water to dissolve the salts and try it as a degreaser ?

Also as a fabric cleaner and a multi purpose cleaner has anyone tried using dish soap and laundry powder in hot water and heavily diluted in hot water to dissolve the granular stuff in the powder? For Americans I think it’s called tide

if I was to try this I would use an old 20lt drum put 10 litres of boiling water in to the drum with a tap attached then add a hose and fuel filter (cheap 4$ paper one ) to catch the granules and so it don’t clog your triggers up

Any ways cheers

MattPersman
02-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Not to kill your hopes and dreams but It comes down the trusting the chemists that make the products of the company you believe in

These are full time chemical companies making specific products that should be safe used as directed for what they are intended for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WristyManchego
02-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Sure your ideas will work but perhaps only for certain cleaning applications and due to the lack of particular surfactants and high alkalinity, may cause significant damage to materials/substrates.

A good place to start is the Tricleanium MSDS mate: http://www.tricleanium.com.au/docs/tricleanium_msds.pdf

Note that trisodium phosphate has a pH of 12 making it highly alkaline. Watch out when using it on fabrics as it can cause yellowing which needs to be neutralised if you plan on ridding it.

DBAILEY
02-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Using tiny amount Woollite laundry detergent and water was popular interior cleaner about 10 years ago.

FUNX650
02-18-2019, 10:24 AM
has anyone tried making there own
degreaser using alkaline salts

like in Australia there is a product called tricleanium
has any tried mixing that product with hot water to
dissolve the salts and try it as a degreaser ?

Also
as a fabric cleaner and a multi purpose cleaner
has anyone tried using dish soap and laundry
powder in hot water and heavily diluted in hot
water to dissolve the granular stuff in the powder?

IMO:
If a person has the wherewithal to “desolve
the salt”, as it were, from Tricleanium...
then they would surely already know if
trisodium phosphate (TSP)-based products
have “degreasing”-ability, or not.

Note:
I only use dish soap; and granular (or liquid)
laundry detergent for their intended purposes.

Bob

Bshann21
02-19-2019, 03:22 AM
Sure your ideas will work but perhaps only for certain cleaning applications and due to the lack of particular surfactants and high alkalinity, may cause significant damage to materials/substrates.

A good place to start is the Tricleanium MSDS mate: http://www.tricleanium.com.au/docs/tricleanium_msds.pdf

Note that trisodium phosphate has a pH of 12 making it highly alkaline. Watch out when using it on fabrics as it can cause yellowing which needs to be neutralised if you plan on ridding it.

It has alkaline salts in it

Bshann21
04-21-2019, 01:53 AM

Wouldn't that be easy to do by using pool ph strips I've found that all purpose cleaners would be a ph of 7.5 to 8.5 to give it some extra oomph in cleaning i have also herd of people using "tide" diluted as there all purpose interior and fabric cleaner

with the engine degreaser the ph would be higher and if I ever made a degreaser I would add soap to it so the degreaser would stick to the engine longer for dwelling time instead of most sprays you spray it on a engine or tyre and it runs straight off
Trying to think of ways to spend less and make business more profitable

Feel free to share you dollar saving ideas

That's just my thoughts :)

Cheers everyone

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

VISITOR
04-21-2019, 02:28 AM
if you mix chemicals your not guaranteed that it won't have any adverse effects sooner or later unless you know exactly what you are doing. if you aren't a chemist or have any knowledge in that regard, i would leave it up to the experts (or consult one) who knows for sure. obviously, some do it and don't have any problems but you can't blame anyone if there is...

WristyManchego
04-21-2019, 03:41 AM
Wouldn't that be easy to do by using pool ph strips I've found that all purpose cleaners would be a ph of 7.5 to 8.5 to give it some extra oomph in cleaning i have also herd of people using "tide" diluted as there all purpose interior and fabric cleaner

with the engine degreaser the ph would be higher and if I ever made a degreaser I would add soap to it so the degreaser would stick to the engine longer for dwelling time instead of most sprays you spray it on a engine or tyre and it runs straight off
Trying to think of ways to spend less and make business more profitable

Feel free to share you dollar saving ideas

That's just my thoughts :)

Cheers everyone

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Sure you can but you’re missing the point. pH isn’t an indication of cleaning power, it’s the surfactants that make the product do what it does in the right way. It is the “technology” behind the cleaning power.

Many good companies make APC, some are alright and others are amazing. Fundamentally they are the same, the difference is their combination and quality of surfactants to deal with specific or a range of substrates.

There are also different types of acids and alkali to add more complexity to the equation.

Bshann21
04-21-2019, 03:45 AM
Sure you can but you’re missing the point. pH isn’t an indication of cleaning power, it’s the surfactants that make the product do what it does in the right way. It is the “technology” behind the cleaning power.

Many good companies make APC, some are alright and others are amazing. Fundamentally they are the same, the difference is their combination and quality of surfactants to deal with specific or a range of substrates.

There are also different types of acids and alkali to add more complexity to the equation.

Thanks mate :) I understand what your meaning

Cheers for the reply

WristyManchego
04-21-2019, 03:53 AM
Thanks mate :) I understand what your meaning

Cheers for the reply

By all means, don’t be discouraged to have a go at it. It just might be wise to test it on your own substrates before a customers’ and see the results long term.

The difficult part is discerning if the chemical is having an effect or not.

Think about quality microfiber towels, it is difficult to get them back the way the felt when they were brand new. This is due to the friction from use and range of chemicals used including the cleaning detergent. They may seem fine to use but they are a long way from the perfect condition from factory.

Perhaps this is my own quality bias at play, but I always consider detailing to be; restoring the substrate to as close to factory condition as possible (or better) and then protecting it.

Slopping some silicone on a dash or scrubbing the #### out of a stain with a highly basic solution and calling it a day is far from that.