PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Leather Steering Wheel

tonydi
02-17-2019, 04:26 AM
No, I don't want to know how to clean my leather steering wheel, I want to know how to make it sticky!

My 2013 Genesis Coupe Track has a nice leather wheel but the leather is very slick. Couple that with the fact that my hands tend to be pretty dry and I end up with a situation that is less than ideal.

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on it and it's great for a day or two if I don't go back and buff off the conditioner after it's dried. But then it's quickly back to super slick.

And no, I'm not interested in wearing driving gloves. ;)

Any ideas?

Oz_TCH
02-17-2019, 06:49 PM
303 is somewhat sticky, if you don't buff it off or wipe it.

The Guz
02-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Just use a cleaner and keep it clean.

DavidAl
02-17-2019, 11:01 PM
Steering wheel cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

pickles
02-18-2019, 03:40 AM
You can use that grip wrapping for tennis rackets. If you wanted to go with a chemical some hairspray might add a tackiness to it.

yakky
02-18-2019, 08:21 AM
If it has gotten slick from use, first I clean it well and if it is still shiney, I use a magic eraser on it to restore the matte look. You have to be super gentle with the magic eraser though or you'll be sending your wheel of to get re-skinned.

Mike Phillips
02-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Try wiping it down with a strong solution of any quality all-purpose-cleaner.

Or Isopropyl Alcohol, maybe lacquer thinner?

:)

tonydi
02-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Well, maybe not the tennis racket grip tape one, I want the wheel to BE tacky, not LOOK tacky. ;-) The problem has been there from the day it was built, it's not a matter of wear or whatever. They just used a very slick leather on this wheel. In fact, some GenCoupe wheels develop a surface checking problem and Hyundai replaced them under warranty. Unfortunately, mine wasn't one of them. The replacement wheel has more texture, but it's super expensive as are aftermarket/re-skinned wheels, so those options are out.

I do keep the wheel clean and have often thought maybe that's counterproductive. But I can't bear the thought that getting the wheel tacky enough means letting a bunch of dirt and grime build up. Plus, unless I dip my hands in Pepsi or something before driving, that build up would take a very long time because I don't have sweaty hands.

I'll give the 303 Protectent a shot since it doesn't seem like that would hurt the leather.

pickles
02-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Well, maybe not the tennis racket grip tape one, I want the wheel to BE tacky, not LOOK tacky. ;-) The problem has been there from the day it was built, it's not a matter of wear or whatever. They just used a very slick leather on this wheel. In fact, some GenCoupe wheels develop a surface checking problem and Hyundai replaced them under warranty. Unfortunately, mine wasn't one of them. The replacement wheel has more texture, but it's super expensive as are aftermarket/re-skinned wheels, so those options are out.

I do keep the wheel clean and have often thought maybe that's counterproductive. But I can't bear the thought that getting the wheel tacky enough means letting a bunch of dirt and grime build up. Plus, unless I dip my hands in Pepsi or something before driving, that build up would take a very long time because I don't have sweaty hands.

I'll give the 303 Protectent a shot since it doesn't seem like that would hurt the leather.

Yeah the grip tape would look terrible. Perhaps an upholstery shop could custom make a new steering wheel with leather or material that is less smooth.

tonydi
02-19-2019, 02:09 AM
Yeah the grip tape would look terrible. Perhaps an upholstery shop could custom make a new steering wheel with leather or material that is less smooth.

That's a good point, I need to check with local shops. I dismissed the idea originally because places that sell a service where you ship them your wheel and they use the core metal parts and then put on new grips/leather get about $600 for that and your car is down for a couple of weeks. But these are specialty "tuner" shops so it's possible that a local "regular" upholstery shop might be able to do if for a more reasonable price.