PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

SRP
02-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone can help identify what this is.

This stuff has been on my car after multiple washes for a month. I can't tell if this is some sort of road striping paint that someone used carelessly or if it's something like sap. It's definitely above the clear coat and not soft by any means. You can feel it with your nails and its yellow (the picture may not do it justice). I apologize if the link for the picture breaks forum rules ;however, I am struggling to use the uploader built onto this site.

Thanks in advance,
Shan

Imgur: The magic of the Internet (https://imgur.com/EcN0YAX)

RobertJ34
02-14-2019, 04:35 PM
It kind of looks like road paint to me.

Other than washing the car, have you tried doing anything else to try to remove it? Like a clay bar, all purpose cleaner, etc?

SRP
02-14-2019, 04:49 PM
I have not tried anything else really. I don't know how aggressive of a clay bar I really need. Could get an aggressive clay bar but that could cause some unnecessary marring and might not even do anything. I've seen some suggestions online about using lacquer thinner but I have no idea how safe that is for the clear coat. I'm hoping that somehow this is waterbased paint that'll just require some very hot water to remove. Any thoughts on using a plastic razor blade?

Btrahin
02-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Highway paint. Clay won't be of much use. Wash the surface first, Use a spray wax or even interior dressing to heavily lubricate the area. Use a plastic razor blade or some other type of plastic scraper to carefully scrape it off. Scrape in the opposite direction of the splatter for best results. You're still going to mar the paint to some degree, so be prepared to do a light compound and/or polish. Good luck.

jsgntulok
02-14-2019, 11:27 PM
Here is a link from a few years ago which I hope will help you: *Yellow street paint on my car, No Idea how to take it off* (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/67080-yellow-street-paint-my-car-no-idea-how-take-off.html)