PDA

View Full Version : beginner question regarding pads

Pages : [1] 2

Artdnj
02-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Newbie question and I promise I researched this site intensely but still a bit confused. I realize pad selection is arbitrary and need based but opinions are appreciated. I am detailing my daughter's daily driver, a 2011 128i, white that has pint in fairly good condition but has swirls/holograms when looking at it in the sun.

I'll be using a GG6, with a 5 inch backing plate, HD Speed followed by Collinite 845.

steps I believe ill do:

wash
iron X
clay
polish with HD speed using a orange LC thin pro pad
845 application using a black LV flat pad

I am no pro, in fact this will be my first time so any suggestions regarding process, materials (especially pad selection) will be appreciated. My thought process is to be moderate in polishing and sealing with a well respected wax that I have used before with nice, long lasting results. Thanks for any all input.

dlc95
02-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Consider the white polishing pad.

It works great with cleaner waxes like Speed. You'll get some cut and a great finish out of it. It covers a lot of bases, and is a very versatile and capable pad.

Artdnj
02-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Ok, that was actually my first thought, do think I should go with the LC flat or is the thin pro ok with a rookie polisher?

rlmccarty2000
02-14-2019, 12:38 PM
I’ve got two 2011 BMWs and I I’m almost 100% sure you will need to compound the paint with a good compound and a cutting pad (microfiber, wool, or foam). Jescar Compound or Menzerma 400 on Rupes blue wool or Meguires microfiber cutting pads followed with Menzerma 3500 with a Rupes yellow pad have been my best combinations after doing numerous test spots with other polishes and compounds.

Speed is an AOI with some cut, but BMW paint is hard. Skip the AOI (especially if you plan on using 845 anyway) and just try Jescar or Menzerma 400, they can leave the paint LSP ready for most people. Trust me on this one.

Artdnj
02-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Just to clarify,is your reccomendation Jescar compound or 400 on a Rupes wool followed by 3500 with the Rupes yellow (even though I have a Griote's GG6) followed by the 845? thank you for your post.

rlmccarty2000
02-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Just to clarify,is your reccomendation Jescar compound or 400 on a Rupes wool followed by 3500 with the Rupes yellow (even though I have a Griote's GG6) followed by the 845? thank you for your post.

Should work fine. The GG6 is plenty powerful to spin the Rupes pads. You could use the Meguires Microfiber Cutting Pads in place of the Rupes blue wool. I used microfiber pads for years before the new Rupes wool came out. To my eyes the wool finishes a bit better and cuts a bit faster. Whichever compound you choose remember to work it well to break down the abrasives.

custmsprty
02-14-2019, 11:45 PM
Ok, that was actually my first thought, do think I should go with the LC flat or is the thin pro ok with a rookie polisher?

Stick with the orange pad, white is to weak, HD Speed loves orange.

See my BMW job:

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (https://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

I tried white once, waste of time, orange is my all time go to, but you can always do test spots. I'm all about fast, effective and super finish.

Artdnj
02-14-2019, 11:52 PM
Stick with the orange pad, white is to weak, HD Speed loves orange.

See my BMW job:

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (https://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

I tried white once, waste of time, orange is my all time go to, but you can always do test spots. I'm all about fast, effective and super finish.
your opinion on Griot's CC with orange vs Speed with orange? Or each with mf pad?

custmsprty
02-15-2019, 12:00 AM
your opinion on Griot's CC with orange vs Speed with orange?

LC / B & S I prefer B & S. Never used the GG CC. But both of my recco's I've used on my GG6 and GG15 and Rupes etc. as wella s the BS and LC. In that range I'm BS

Sharply Dressed
02-15-2019, 12:12 AM
The beauty with detailing is there are multiple ways to get it done. I have the GG and like Custom Sporty mentioned above, love using HD Speed with the orange pad. Have used it on BMWs, Benz, Lexus, etc.

spazzz
02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
I did my 2008 BMW with a Flex,orange Force pad and Menzerna 400. Followed up with white pad and 3800.
You can one step it with the 400 if you want.

You are going to need at least LC orange flat pads and some compound for initial cut.

If you want to just worry about cleaning then a polish and LC flat pads will do

jkrig
02-15-2019, 10:35 AM
I agree with those saying you might need to get more aggressive, though it kinda. depends on the color of white....BMW paints in general are a bit on the hard side...but there's a difference. Alpine White will be easier, I'd say give Speed a go with the LC Orange flat....might have to make an extra section pass or two. If it's Mineral White (has a pearl effect) then step up to a more aggressive pad or compound.....then you could finish it with speed on a white pad minimal passes...since its white you could even give speed a try with a MF cutting pad....

Artdnj
02-15-2019, 11:00 AM
I agree with those saying you might need to get more aggressive, though it kinda. depends on the color of white....BMW paints in general are a bit on the hard side...but there's a difference. Alpine White will be easier, I'd say give Speed a go with the LC Orange flat....might have to make an extra section pass or two. If it's Mineral White (has a pearl effect) then step up to a more aggressive pad or compound.....then you could finish it with speed on a white pad minimal passes...since its white you could even give speed a try with a MF cutting pad....

It's Alpine white. Is a combo of speed with a micro finishing pad lsp ready normally. It's my first go at machine polishing so i don't know if there's a greater learning curve with micro fiber vs orange pad.

jkrig
02-15-2019, 01:17 PM
You could introduce some very light marring, but being that the car is white I doubt you would notice......though if you haven't used MF before you may want to do some testing/playing when you aren't on a mission to get something accomplished.....the LC Orange should do the trick with n extra pass or two. I have no experience with Speed but I played with Menzerna 3in1 on my Sparkling Graphite Metallic BMW w/LC Force Orange and had good results.....

PaulMys
02-15-2019, 06:05 PM
I use the GG6 with both HD Speed and Griot's Correcting Cream.

As mentioned above, Speed plays the best with my LC flat orange pad. The Griot's CC works with a white pad, but it takes more passes. So I also use orange with the CC.

That being said, I can use a white pad with the CC on my wife's Jeep Wrangler and it works just fine. Test spots! :)