PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Polish This Part?

Coach Steve
02-14-2019, 03:18 AM
This is the step plate from a running board of a 1947 Ford pickup I'm dojng for a customer. It's chrome plated. The valleys between the points are about twice the depth of the dimples on a golf ball.

My question is, what can I use to polish this piece that will reach down in the valleys between the points. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

SWETM
02-14-2019, 06:00 AM
How about those slized polishing balls?
Go with it from different direction to reach as much as possible. And Mothers Chrome polish or Billet polish :)
Maybe a combo with a cone and ball would be best to cover if one of them fails to reach some areas. But the top of the cone with a vertical angle could also reach down to the valleys.

Mothers PowerCone Chrome Combo, chrome polish, power ball polishing tool, mothers metal polish (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-powerball-chrome-combo.html)

Mothers Billet Metal Polish cleans and shines billet, forged, and finely cast aluminum, brass and all polishable metals. Professional detailers, (https://www.autogeek.net/motbilmetpol.html)

hmardown
02-14-2019, 07:40 AM
Steve
I would think those groves & valleys were never polished to begin with. and once you start it'll be hard to make it look uniform. I would clean it very well using a metal polish & a stiff brush(maybe toothbrush). then I'd polish the flat surface. I would think the groves & valleys are always going to seem a little darker. I guess a dremel tool with the right tips will get you in there. all the high spots shined up & the groves a little darker will give it a nice contrast. this is jmo good luck & try & show a pic when you get it done.
Carlo

Coach Steve
02-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Turns out, they're actually polished aluminum. I got out my rotary and a wool pad and went to town on them with some aluminum polish and they look better but not what my mind's eye envisioned. I'll post a pic later when I get to work, which involves walking from my bedroom to my garage. :laughing:

Eldorado2k
02-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Never Dull probably would’ve been able to get in there good.