PDA

View Full Version : Does anything work well to keep freezing rain/whatever from 'taking over' my windshield?

newb001
02-13-2019, 08:29 AM
A few times this winter the weather has been just right to leave a really thick coat of ice all over our cars. Aside from a physical windshield snow cover (which I may just have to get one of these days), would any product (whether it simply be rain-x or a wax or a coating or whatever) work to keep ice from forming?

Thanks.

Klasse Act
02-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Mother Nature takes no prisoners, I've never heard of something that prevents her from doing her business[emoji300][emoji98][emoji946][emoji944]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OMGClayAiken
02-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Aquapel advertises "Makes it easier to clear ice, snow, and even dirt and bugs"

Aquapel Glass Care, Rain repellent, aqua-pel, glass sealer, windshield repellent (https://www.autogeek.net/aquapel-glass-care.html?utm_campaign=8008446&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=201591135821&utm_term=aquapel&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnY_jBRDdARIsAIEqpJ1OUIIQJWYI2P-rfNQf5Q8jjOiSBJ-XY1SsnbReng42EoIoGmJoIXgaAlVEEALw_wcB)

But it's not going to prevent ice from forming, pretty sure only your physical barrier will do that.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

PaulMys
02-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Other than letting the car run all night with the heat/defrost blasting, Nope.

Calendyr
02-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Any wax, sealant or coating will make window de-icing easier. It is impossible to prevent ice from forming, the question is : How hard will it be to remove?

For both the windshield and back window, using the defrost setting while you remove snow from the car is the best thing you can do. The heat makes the ice loose on the glass. Other than that, use the same product you are using on the paint (wax or what ever) on your windows to make it even easier. For the windshield, products like Aquapel are designed to resist wiperblades, so it will stay on for months instead of days or weeks.

heloguy
02-13-2019, 07:08 PM
I haven’t tried this, but, I heard somewhere that spraying the ice with an isopropyl alcohol will melt it pretty quickly.
Again, I haven’t tried it, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUNX650
02-13-2019, 11:53 PM
Aside from a physical windshield snow cover
(which I may just have to get one of these days),

would any product (whether it simply be
rain-x or a wax or a coating or whatever)
work to keep ice from forming?

I personally don’t know of any type of detailing
product that can be applied to auto-glass that
has the ability to keep ice from forming upon
their surfaces. (Of course, there are plenty of
Urban Legends/Myths one can sort through, if
one so desires.)

•A tight fitting, waterproofed, windshield cover
may be your best bet. (The Wife really likes her
”Frost Guard” windshield cover.)

-Me:
I just use a couple of rubber-backed bath mats,