PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar or Clay Mitt?

Pages : [1] 2

theamcguy
02-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Clay Bar or Clay Mitt what is the difference, which one is better? Is the clay mitt really cleanable? Does it do as good a job as the clay bar? Trying to decide which way to go. TIA

TTQ B4U
02-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Mitt. Works better and is safer IMO, especially when used with soapy water as the lube. Yes, it's easiliy cleanable. Self cleaning really as once you begin using it and re-dip it in the soapy water, it will clean off. HUGE time savings product.

OMGClayAiken
02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
I have both and havent used any clay bars since I got my mitt. Much quicker and easier. Clay may still have a place for smaller areas that are hard to get a mitt into but for the most part I think clay alternatives are superior.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Paul A.
02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
I use my clay mitt most of the time as I find it simply easier to use and fast. I think the size of the mitt offers the speed.

I still think traditional clay is more effective with harder to remove "stick on" debris and I use it occassionally because of that.

Goonie75
02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
I agree with Paul. Mitt for ease and speed. Clay bar for the really tough jobs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Artdnj
02-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Do you use the mitt as a regular wash mitt during the wash phase or after (post wash) so the surface is clean?

Goonie75
02-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Post... I use the wash part of the Nanoskin mitt to put soap on. Flip it and clay away.

Paul A.
02-12-2019, 05:38 PM
I wash first with my reg wash mitt and then wash it a second time with whats left of my soapy water and my clay mitt.

My approach is to knock off all the regular dirt and grime first and then attack whats still "stuck".

PaulMys
02-12-2019, 06:07 PM
I wash first with my reg wash mitt and then wash it a second time with whats left of my soapy water and my clay mitt.

My approach is to knock off all the regular dirt and grime first and then attack whats still "stuck".

^^^What Paul said^^^

glfnaz
02-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Mitt. It's so fast and very effective. I still use IRON Remover first.

Artdnj
02-12-2019, 09:10 PM
I'm very new at auto detailing and only have experience in washing and waxing by hand but recently got some equipment and plan on working on my own cars. I'm not very familiar with iron remover is Iron X product the popular one to use? How often should this be used?

Goonie75
02-12-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm very new at auto detailing and only have experience in washing and waxing by hand but recently got some equipment and plan on working on my own cars. I'm not very familiar with iron remover is Iron X product the popular one to use? How often should this be used?Depending really but yearly wont hurt.

rlmccarty2000
02-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Mitt and yes Iron remover first.

I still use a premium clay lube instead of soapy water. Soapy water would be fine if you are going to correct afterwards. I want the slickest lube possible to avoid marring if I’m not going to be correcting.

Paul A.
02-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Thats a good point, rim. I am usually going to machine the paint after claying but if your not you want to use the slipperiest (a word?) lube you can get.

North1Star
02-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Mitt and yes Iron remover first.

I still use a premium clay lube instead of soapy water. Soapy water would be fine if you are going to correct afterwards. I want the slickest lube possible to avoid marring if I’m not going to be correcting.

ONR is good enough?
Because Ill use the clay once every 3 months, and i am not going to do paint correction