PDA

View Full Version : Washin' your Microfiber Stuff

Pages : [1] 2

Ray in Kingwood
02-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey Guys.......:cheers:

I bought that special detergent stuff for the mf, Microfibers I have and have simply been washing the heck out of it by hand and h angin it out to dry. Works fine......but I sure would like to throw em in da washer.

We have a couple of these damn high dollar front loaders, and Momma would flat KILL me if I screwed em up.
I will find a washateria if I hafeta......do you fellers use your machines at home?

My concern is the chemicals and polish compounds would mess up or clog the solenoid valves and other components within my machine..

http://www.appliance.com/np_images/GE_Washer_Dryer.jpg

Thanks!

Feed back please:work:

Rsurfer
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I would pre-soak the heavily soiled mf first and toss it in with the lightly soiled mf in your washer. You should be fine. I alway's wash twice with no detergent on the second wash.BTW that's some cool washers.

Lillou
02-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Ray

IMO
Just do a quick wash after you do the MF stuff with HOT water with some regulare wash soap and you should be fine.
You would have more of a problem with the residue on the drum of the unit transferring to the clothes put in it afterwards without the second insurance wash

Al-53
02-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Ray...I bought a new front loader last year ...just for that reason..to wash my MF towels....during spring and summer I average about 100 towels a week washing...and not a problem...I use the santize rinse so the water is heated very hot...so Clean towels and clean machine....you will be ok washing them in the machine....no different than washing dirty work clothes....

Al

POPPAJ
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
:whs: HOT!WASH HOT!RINSE-3 TIMES, 1/2 CUP WHITE VINEGAR IN LAST RINSE. :(:o:p;):DThat will coverup the smell so ya don't get a spankin!

Ray in Kingwood
02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
thanks guyz

ScottB
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
my wifey has the Duets and washes mine with those special cleaners. Works like a charm ....

LeoC2
02-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Just throw them in the washer with regular liquid detergent and hot water, you'll be fine and so will the washer. I wash tons of towels on a regular basis and have yet to have anything clog or damage a machine.

And, for that matter, I've never seen anything coat the sides of the tub. If the water is hot enough to clean the towels the removed particles are in suspension with the detergent so they won't stick to the tub. Even washing with cold water I've never seen anything adhere to the tub. As far as I'm concerned, that's a "detailer's legend."

wytstang
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Like others hot water and hi heat in the dryer (no softer added at any time during wash/dry).

TOGWT
03-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Wash Directions (Towels): Use hot (120oF) water and add 1-2 ounces to a standard size (8 gallon) load, for larger loads or heavily soiled laundry, add 3-6 ounces. Pre-soak in a liquid detergent / water and then squeeze out wax/polish with your hands and rinse thoroughly. As a pre-spotter: dilute 1 part concentrates with 3 parts water, apply to stain and launder as usual.

Do not use fabric softener (most contain silicone that the towel will adsorb and clog the fibres thereby reducing their effectiveness) fabric softeners work by coating the surface of the cloth fibres with a thin layer of chemicals, a towel will also treat the fabric softener as if it was dirt by trying to store the tiny particles of the softener in the towel fibres. This will clog up the fibres and render the towel ineffective.

Note: toensure that the washing machine has no residual detergent or fabric softener; rise with a 1:3 solution of washing liquid (with no bleach) / distilled white vinegar, clean about every 2-3 months

Add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar in place of a softener in the final rinse cycle, the vinegar instead works to eliminate detergent residue and the acid counteracts any alkaline minerals in the water supply. Do not use vinegar in every wash as it is a cationic (hydrogen ions bind to the anionic groups on the fibres) the disadvantage of coating fibres by hydrophobic layer is in decreasing the absorption properties of the fabric. Vinegar (Acetic acid, pH 2) works well in the rinse cycle to make your towels softer. Detergent is an alkaline (pH=12, the opposite of acidic on the pH scale).When you wash your towels (or anything for that matter) there are small amounts of detergent left behind, when your add Vinegar it balances the pH of the solution and helps removes the excess detergent from the wash.

Do not wash micro fibre cloths / towels with other non- micro fibre fabrics, as they will pick up lint from other fabrics. Air dry or you can dry micro fibre cloths / towels in any dryer on low heat, remove them before they are still damp (cuts down on static charge) Colours may bleed during first washing

ScottB
03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
get a set of Blu-balls (As Seen on TV) for your towels and the dryer.

shadybreal
03-01-2008, 10:24 AM
get a set of Blu-balls (As Seen on TV) for your towels and the dryer.

Try avoiding blu balls by any means necessary! Sorry, but I had to. :D

ScottB
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Try avoiding blu balls by any means necessary! Sorry, but I had to. :D

come on, you know the sound of them balls banging together is pure bliss Im the MANIm the MAN

trhland
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
i swear by them !!

YankeeFan
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
So you guys are all using just regular laundry detergent for MFs? Does that work any better or worse than say, Micro Restore? Also, if you were machine washing drying towels, wax towels, buffer towels and window towels how many washes would you do? Right now I am mixing the window and drying towels as it seems window cleaners don't have much stuff other than water. Then I was putting all the others together since they all have some kind of wax, qder or interior cleaner. Is this good, bad or ugly?

Howard