PDA

View Full Version : Glass Polisher

Pchang978
02-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Hello this is my first post here and will be my first time paint correcting/ceramic coating my vehicle. I've been doing a lot of research everyday for the past couple of months and talking to some local professionals. I'll be using The Last Cut compound and Lake Country 5.5" HDO pads with the max shine M15 polisher. I'll be finishing the vehicle with Menzerna 3500 before ceramic coating it with Diamond Pro. Of course I'll be washing/using IronX/claying the vehicle before hand. The Diamond Pro coating is what a local detailing company (STL Auto Spa) uses and I've seen great results with it. I actually just coated my new wheels yesterday and it came out amazing.

Long story short, I'll also want to coat the glass on my 2011 Corvette. I plan on buying Car Pro 5" Rayon Glass Polishing Pads. My question is, is it absolutely necessary to buy a glass polish or can I use either TLC compound or the Menzerna 3500 that I already have, before coating the glass? Thanks!

UncleDavy
02-11-2019, 08:34 PM
I just went through a glass polishing project and it was interesting to see the many responses and options available. I used the Griots Garage glass polishing system. It included Rayon pads, fine glass polish and their glass sealant. Other members have had great success with a high quality paint compound and polish. It depends on the condition of the glass. You may need a more aggressive polish with cerium oxide to polish out heavy scratches and pitting. The Griots polish is good for water spots and fine scratches only.

Pchang978
02-11-2019, 11:04 PM
I just went through a glass polishing project and it was interesting to see the many responses and options available. I used the Griots Garage glass polishing system. It included Rayon pads, fine glass polish and their glass sealant. Other members have had great success with a high quality paint compound and polish. It depends on the condition of the glass. You may need a more aggressive polish with cerium oxide to polish out heavy scratches and pitting. The Griots polish is good for water spots and fine scratches only.

The cars glass is in decent condition. Vehicle isn’t daily driven and sits under a cover. Has 30,000 miles. I might try Wolfgang with a terry cloth applicator hand by hand and I’d that doesn’t work, purchase car pro Rayon pads

The Guz
02-12-2019, 12:24 AM
If the glass is in good shape then a polishing pad will be fine.

I have had better success with a coating bonding to glass that was polished with either CarPro ceri glass or Mckee’s glass restorer followed by a prep wipe.

Pchang978
02-12-2019, 08:08 AM
If the glass is in good shape then a polishing pad will be fine.

I have had better success with a coating bonding to glass that was polished with either CarPro ceri glass or Mckee’s glass restorer followed by a prep wipe.

Thanks for the response! Did you have to keep spraying the glass with water when using the car pro product? Read a write up on here that it can mess the glass up if you don't always keep it wet and it creates a huge mess.

Mike Phillips
02-12-2019, 08:22 AM
For removing any form or road film or any other substances ON the glass, any quality compound or polish that is safe for clearcoat paint will be safe for glass and simply use a foam "polishing" pad on any polisher.

Removing road film and other substances off of glass is simple. Removing scratches that are IN glass is where it gets time consuming and requires the right products.

In my detailing classes I show a number of different ways to skin this cat.

:)