PDA

View Full Version : When do YOU say that protection is gone?

makdaddy626
02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Given some of the broad ranges you see mentioned regarding many sealants and waxes durability, some say Souveran lasts a week or two, some say a couple of months, I was wondering what each of us considers to be the end of life point for a wax or sealant. When the beading changes from tight to larger droplets? when beading stops all together? When you no longer have that just waxed shine? I'm not really looking for what the "right" answer is, just curious as to whether it's be defined differently by different people at different times. I know that some of the variations in observed durability could be from many other factors (temp, garaged, rain, washing, etc.) but am still curious as to what people mean when they say product X only lasted 2 months.

Bence
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
When the water pools on the surface and evaporates completely without forming spots.

When a protective layer is still on the surface, the pooling water film suddenly breaks up if it gets thin enough. This a sign of a weak but functioning protection; although it looks initially like a dead LSP.

Smokin
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
When its been on for 2 or 3 weeks. [lol]

trhland
02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
i useally wax ever 2 monthes regardless.in between waxes i use q/d . seems to be ok .

makdaddy626
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
When its been on for 2 or 3 weeks. [lol]

i useally wax ever 2 monthes regardless.in between waxes i use q/d . seems to be ok .

LOL - see that's my problem too. I don't know what the real end of life of my products is because I don't believe I ever go that long. The Q/D issues really makes things tuff too. If I put on a coat of Souveran paste and then use Spray Souveran every week or two... I'll always have beading, right?

trhland
02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
LOL - see that's my problem too. I don't know what the real end of life of my products is because I don't believe I ever go that long. The Q/D issues really makes things tuff too. If I put on a coat of Souveran paste and then use Spray Souveran every week or two... I'll always have beading, right?
yep!! for me i love to wax my truck sometimes once a month depending. or if the babys screaming one day ill go right out side and toss a cot of wax on my truck

budman3
02-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I usually don't state when I think protection is gone. I try not to tell people how long a LSP lasts for because it is so subjective. I think it's pretty funny when people say 'This wax lasts 5 weeks and this sealant last 2 months' like it is a fact. As we all know, durability is not set in stone -- every vehicle is going to have different durability. Usually one person will say how long a LSP will last and then 3-4 different people state that same number as a fact becase they read it from that person. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but taking someone elses word on durability is the worst thing to do because it's unlikely you'll have the same durability.

Anyways, back to the topic. I don't think there is an exact science when it comes to checking durability. I think someone needs to keep a close eye on different things to tell when it would be beneficial to apply another layer of LSP. Beading is one way to tell, but not the only way. If a wax beads nice tight beads for a long time and then they start to get sloppy, it'd be a good idea to apply another coat. But just beacuse the beading let up a little, doesn't mean the LSP isn't protecting anymore.

The same is true with sheeting, if your LSP sheets. The longer the water takes to run off the surface, the more likely the durability is fading.

Another test could be the 'squeaky finger test'. On a freshly polished panel, your finger will squeak when rubbed on the paint. One can do the same to test the LSP, on a clean surface of course. But once again, you'll have to compare your findings to a time earlier with that same LSP and check for variability. I believe that there will always be a 'squeak' no matter what, but if it drags more or is louder after an extended period of time, more LSP is needed. That person has to be the judge though.

If 3 cars were lined up next to each other I'd have a hard time distinguising any visual differences between them if one was polished with no LSP, one with a fresh LSP, and one with a year old LSP. Waxes don't yellow like they used to, so having dead wax left on the paint will be difficult to tell. Then again, I've heard that just because a wax seems to be 'dead', it is still likely protecting the paint ...

Because all of this is complicated, I do a full detail a few times a year. After every other wash or so I'll boost the protection with OCW or a quick layer of wax, depending on the weather and time. I highly doubt anyone has ever accurately measured durability without the use of expensive technology. So when someone offers that a LSP lasts X amount of time, take it with a grain of salt -- it probably isn't accurate. Just my opinions though.

Mak, I'm not sure this answered your questions or not ... if not excuse my ramblings :).

ScottB
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
ever rented a car and got it wet. The water sheets, but to a point where you cannot even pick it up with a good quality towel. Thats truly past gone.

Smokin
02-28-2008, 08:19 PM
It called DETAILING THERAPY 101.[lol]

dengood1
02-28-2008, 08:35 PM
ever rented a car and got it wet. The water sheets, but to a point where you cannot even pick it up with a good quality towel. Thats truly past gone.

I know a guy that actually details his rental cars!:D But I won't mention any names;)

makdaddy626
02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I know a guy that actually details his rental cars!:D But I won't mention any names;)

LOL!!! I remember that one.

Z06-Goose
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
To me durability runs until I see water beading stop anywhere on the car, no mater how little or how good the hood per-se, is looking in relation to the rest of the car; that's a sign for me the rest of the car protection has weaken. Time for another coat :)

As far as carnauba waxes durability...well personally, I haven't had a chance to laid out a test, since most car I do carnauba on are garage queens :D
I've had sealants last me a good solid 4 months to 5 months
My Collinite 476 S is going on 4 months strong on my vette, though the beading is not as tight, they're still nice enough to know it's doing its job...

wytstang
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
I look for beading and if it starts to pool and stays that way it's go time.

TOGWT
02-29-2008, 06:39 AM
There is not a scientific test, but this is a suggestion from a polymer product manufacturer (Sal Zaino)-

Quote:To test your wax / sealant you must measure the water beading of your paint (height, contact angle and diameter) without any polish/wax applied. Next, measure the water beading of your paint (height, contact angle and diameter) within 24 hours after initially applying your polish/wax.

This is your starting point. This will also be the gauge for determining the water beading (longevity, duration and changes) for that specific product. As the water beads start to diminish (get wider and shallower and loses contact angle), the polish/wax and its film protection factor is going away, Once the water beading is the same as before you apply your product, the polish/wax and its protection are gone”.

Does Product Durability = Beading / Sheeting? - Does Product Durability = Beading / Sheeting? - Detail University - Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1770-does-product-durability-beading-sheeting.html#post6454)

ScottB
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Its a great way to get a free weekend car when needed :D