PDA

View Full Version : New to the game - quick question on my compound/polishing results

Ted Striker
02-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Hello all!

Firstly, many of you have tremendously helped me and don’t even know it. This week I did my first multi stage polish on my car with all the great inputs and feedback from many of you on here as well as many other helpful resources on the interwebs. So, thank you for your knowledge and getting me over the “just do it” hump!

I have a question regarding something I’m seeing in my outcome. I searched the forum first, however, I don’t think I can find what I’m looking for as I’m ignorant to what I should be calling it. I was very pleased with how the car finished out (car type, process and products used are listed below so you have more info to answer my question). However, under my florescent lights in the garage they reflect back in the paint as being (only way I know to describe it) as “under water”. I’ve attached a picture for you see. The edges seem wavy and what not. I was hoping to get a very crisp deep mirror reflection and I’m not sure if this is a result of the paint, or, did I just not dial in the right products for the job? Is this what is referenced as orange peel? Would really appreciate your experienced feedback!

(Note: I inadvertently missed what many say is a key step in that I didn’t do the ISO wipe down between polishing and sealant – that may be why I’m seeing what I’m seeing- ?)

Here are the details:

2017 Audi A6 Black Optics Package (Brilliant Black paint is the color, Black Optics simply means they replaced all chrome trim with black gloss trim)
Steps/products taken/used:

Pressure wash Foam Bath (Blue Coral), rinse
Two bucket wash with CG Clean Slate, rinse
CarPro Iron X application then rinse
Clay Bar with CG Clay Lube then rinse
Full drying including leaf blowing hard spots
Light compound/Polish one step based on my paint’s condition (Mezerna 3500 Super Finish). This effectively removed all my spiderwebs and swirls.
(this is the missed Gyeon Prep ISO step)
One application of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Again, everything looks amazing, I can’t really complain – always looking to where I can even better improve the gloss. I ran into some other unexpected noobie things like polish in rock pits which I was able to find answers to online after the fact. I also learned one cannot have enough waffle drying towels on hand. Thanks in advance, all!

TS

In this picture you can see the contrast of the reflection from the windshield vs. the hood.

dlc95
02-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Hard to tell from the pic, but it might be orange peel causing the texture.

Often something prescribed by professionals to live with. Because factory paint films are so thin, paint leveling via sanding is discouraged.

Ted Striker
02-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Thanks DLC! That's what I'm reading online that it's just something you kind of live with. The car is definitely a flashier specimen after the work and it would take a real trained eye to see the orange peel results in the wild. So with that, I'm not going to get too bummed about it. Just wanted to confirm it was something kind of out of my control and not something I can change in application process.

Ted Striker
02-08-2019, 01:39 PM
So, follow up question - is avoiding orange peel in a new car possible? I assume dealership personnel look at you like you're crazy if you bring in a handheld florescent light to check reflections in paint.

Ted Striker
02-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Just bumping this for my last question - just to confirm, this is a non fixable issue? I'm about to redo my polish on Monday after getting in my Dr. Colorship set to fix some spots. Any one recommend deviating to something they have had better experience on with black paint outside of Wolfgang? It's a long process (as you know) so I'm always open to suggestions from others who have already blazed the trail. Thanks, everyone!

PaulMys
02-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Orange peel is just a fact nowadays. Cars are painted by robots, and manufacturers aren't going to take the time or incur the expense to wet sand afterward.

My truck has it, and every new car at work (I work for a Ford dealer) has it. From a little Fiesta all the way up to a 90k Raptor or Expedition.

hmardown
02-20-2019, 06:25 PM
I think the orange peel is intentional. I have a black dodge ram with plenty of orange peel. it really doesn't bother me & the truck always looks good. jmo
hmardown

Ted Striker
02-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Thanks again guys for the input. I'm going to do a re-do of my entire process tomorrow as some of the spider webs (and some new scratches from sloppy MF towel sprucing) have appeared. This time I'm going to dial in Menzerna 2500 (used 3500 last time) and see if I can get permanently remove the reappeared webs.

Otherwise - does anyone else use the Meguiar's tire gel? I saw great reviews and experiences and used it and can't say I'm too impressed. After a week, my tires just look dusted and regular.

Mike Phillips
02-25-2019, 08:17 AM
However, under my florescent lights in the garage they reflect back in the paint as being (only way I know to describe it) as “under water”. I’ve attached a picture for you see. The edges seem wavy and what not. I was hoping to get a very crisp deep mirror reflection and I’m not sure if this is a result of the paint, or, did I just not dial in the right products for the job? Is this what is referenced as orange peel? Would really appreciate your experienced feedback!

Probably factory orange peel.

Unless you are really bugged about the orange peel I'd suggest learning to live with it. The factory clearcoat on a modern car is thinner than a Post-It note. To wrap your brain around just how thin this is, hold a post-it note between your thumb and index finger and then "think" about it.

Like I show here,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/87410-clearcoats-thin-mike-phillips.html)

(Note: I inadvertently missed what many say is a key step in that I didn’t do the ISO wipe down between polishing and sealant – that may be why I’m seeing what I’m seeing- ?)

You don't have to chemically strip paint when using conventional waxes and sealants. See my article here,

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

If you REALLY want to remove the orange peel this means wetsanding and I can share a technique that is for the most part very safe.

:)