PDA

View Full Version : Does Blackfire wheel cleaner remove ceramic coatings?

Trevine
02-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Looking to clean and polish some wheels. Once coated with something like CQuartz or dlux etc, if you use Blackfire to clean them later does it remove the coating? If so, what’s safe to use on coated wheels that does a good job with the brake dust and grime. Thanks.

ClearVue18
02-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Looking to clean and polish some wheels. Once coated with something like CQuartz or dlux etc, if you use Blackfire to clean them later does it remove the coating? If so, what’s safe to use on coated wheels that does a good job with the brake dust and grime. Thanks.Is that an acid base?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Trevine
02-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Is that an acid base?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Doesn’t seem to be. This is in their description.

“It contains no acids, no butyl of any kind and no petroleum distillates. It is safe for all wheel finishes including polished aluminum and clear coats. “

But doesn’t mention other coatings.

acuRAS82
02-07-2019, 09:21 PM
If it’s one of the red color changing ones (thought all the PBMG ones are), I don’t think they will significantly hurt your coating. Sure there will be some minor degradation, but I recall this question coming up before and Nick or Mike confirmed they won’t eat through a coating.

With that said, I don’t need anything near that strength to clean my coated wheels yet (5 months old; granted it would probably rid unseen break dust), soapy water or waterless wash easily wipes away any visible dirt and brings the glassy shine back. Maybe at the 1 year point I will use iron removing wheel cleaner, but may also refresh the coating at that point too.

Mike@ShineStruck
02-07-2019, 10:55 PM
In my testing , acid is the only thing to chemically ready to synthetic paste wax...alkaline, pH balanced and solvent products did nothing..

For ceramic coatings allotnare resistant to ph2 and up...so answer is most likely no, it will not strip

WhiteShadow89
02-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Looking to clean and polish some wheels. Once coated with something like CQuartz or dlux etc, if you use Blackfire to clean them later does it remove the coating? If so, what’s safe to use on coated wheels that does a good job with the brake dust and grime. Thanks.

Blackfire isn't pH neutral so there will be some risk, even if minimal. Whenever dealing with a coating try to use a pH neutral product. In this case it might be worth picking up a pH neutral wheel cleaner. Something like Gtechniq W6 or Shine Supply Cool Guy wheel cleaner. Both do a great job at removing brake dust, grime and heavy contaminants.