PDA

View Full Version : How would You get Remove this Stain from Dash?

Pages : [1] 2

Ericsworld
02-07-2019, 07:26 PM
My car's black dash, which is made out of vinyl protected leather I believe, has this weird stain on it. I think it might have been from an old window cleaning agent or something.

I tried rubbing it off with some Griot's Garage interior cleaner but no dice. I also sprayed on Aerospace 303 to see if I could mask it, but also no luck...

Any ideas?

Eldorado2k
02-07-2019, 07:38 PM
My car's black dash, which is made out of vinyl protected leather I believe, has this weird stain on it. I think it might have been from an old window cleaning agent or something.

I tried rubbing it off with some Griot's Garage interior cleaner but no dice. I also sprayed on Aerospace 303 to see if I could mask it, but also no luck...

Any ideas?

Try some diluted all purpose cleaner such as Meguiars D101 @10:1. That’s what I would use and I’m confident it’d remove it. Anything similar should suffice. [the results from the Griots Interior Cleaner comes at no surprise]

Afterwards or if the APC isn’t available, clean off the 303 Protectant and instead use Leather Conditioner.

Ericsworld
02-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Try some diluted all purpose cleaner such as Meguiars D101 @10:1. That’s what I would use and I’m confident it’d remove it. Anything similar should suffice. [the results from the Griots Interior Cleaner comes at no surprise]

Afterwards or if the APC isn’t available, clean off the 303 Protectant and instead use Leather Conditioner.

Thanks, I will look into the Meguiars D101.

I think the dash has a layer of "vinyl" on top of the leather since it doesn't soak in liquid like bare leather does. Would Leather conditioner still be the choice here? I actually did initially try cleaning the dash with Leather Cleaner, which obviously isn't very potent or abrasive so it didn't do much

Setec Astronomy
02-08-2019, 07:54 AM
I'm not as confident as Eldo that can be cleaned off, it looks more like discoloration to me, rather than something topical. I'm kind of surprised the 303 didn't help, that would be my suggestion, to try to dress it away.

bofh
02-08-2019, 09:20 AM
APC and scrub with a nail brush for a long time.

Setec Astronomy
02-08-2019, 09:27 AM
I think the dash has a layer of "vinyl" on top of the leather since it doesn't soak in liquid like bare leather does. Would Leather conditioner still be the choice here? I actually did initially try cleaning the dash with Leather Cleaner, which obviously isn't very potent or abrasive so it didn't do much

Pretty unusual to have a leather dashboard. What kind of car? It's typical for automotive leather to have a very thin clear coating (I believe it's polyurethane, rather than vinyl), but I'm not convinced that dash is leather.

SWETM
02-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Have it been mounted anything there before? I see the velcro and a bolt missing so could be something has been there and laying on the discolored part. Then it could be with the vibrations it could been scratching it. If you could get a closer picture on the spot we could see more on what it can be.

hmardown
02-08-2019, 10:17 AM
it's hard to see. but I'm looking at that strip of velcro & I'm wondering what was there. maybe some kind of device with a cord plugged into the cigarette lighter ? constant rubbing from that cord could smooth out the leather. it's looks like a wear pattern to me, but it's hard to tell from hear.
hmardown

hmardown
02-08-2019, 10:25 AM
we must have been typing at the same time:xyxthumbs:'
Carlo

Ericsworld
02-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the help. Nothing was mounted in that spot, the velcro is for a gauge cluster but it mounts forward of where the stain is.

I guess the only solution is to buy the APC and just go at it and hope it comes out...

UncleDavy
02-08-2019, 06:03 PM
If it is a discoloration or a stain from a certain type of chemical, then I am afraid that a cleaner may not remove it. The best solution may be to try to dilute it with a good vinyl protectant. I would have recommended 303 but I guess that didn't work too well for you. Maybe try something a little more high end like Kenotek Vinyl and Leather Conditioner.

Eldorado2k
02-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Don’t scrub for a long time. That could wind up making things worse.

I actually did initially try cleaning the dash with Leather Cleaner, which obviously isn't very potent or abrasive so it didn't do much

Which leather cleaner did you use? Unless it’s Lexol, I’m surprised it didn’t work.

Rsurfer
02-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Bad advice.

Deviant Detail
02-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Pretty unusual to have a leather dashboard. What kind of car?
It looks to be a Lotus Elise.

Mad Wax
02-08-2019, 10:51 PM
I don't think thats coming out