PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Dry Towel Used on Wheels

ArcticWhite
02-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Hi All,

New poster here after being a casual reader over the past year. Can't seem to find any definitive answers on this one after searching forums/internet-at-large and reading some results, so thought I'd post my first of a few questions to see what feedback I can get. By all means if this has been covered in other threads or articles please share.

Last year in my detailing ignorance I used a waffle weave drying towel that I typically use on the body of the car to wipe off wet, dirty wheels. I didn't consider my decision to do this until it was too late and I noticed how filthy/black the gray drying towel had become. I did not use this towel on paint again until it had been washed a total of 2-3 times. Other microfiber towels were washed alongside the tainted one after the initial use on wheels. No black marks or visible dirt remained on the tainted towel after the first wash, and after some deliberation and the aforementioned two extra washes I decided to employ it as a drying towel again. Since that time the towel has been washed somewhere between 10-20 times, all with other microfiber towels (some drying, some high GSM, some interior - but never again with wheel towels).

I'm going to be doing some paint correction on my car (fingers crossed - more to come in a separate thread) due primarily to some swirling and as a result I am again paranoid that this mistake might haunt me by undoing much of what I intend to fix. I am pretty obsessive over doing things the right way but if I am being honest, I am only slightly more obsessed than the average amateur. I don't have a garage to store the car, nor do I have a place to wash it regularly by hand, so I'll be relying upon coin op pressure washers for 90% of the time. I've considered buying new towels (just drying - not replacing all of the towels at this time despite being washed together) but in my mind even if I purchase new drying towels my circumstances and methods will be more prone to cause damage.

TL;DR:

After 10-20 runs in the washing machine, is it likely (anything is possible - I'm looking for likely) that there is still wheel dirt/brake dust/etc in the towels? I say towels since they were eventually all washed together.

Eldorado2k
02-06-2019, 02:20 AM
Most people might disagree, but honestly I don’t think they’ll actually cause any kind of damage onto your paint, but it’s still good to launder your interior/wheel/ towels separate from your paint/drying towels.

Look into waterless or rinseless washing. If done frequently it’s easier and faster than you’d think + you can do it anywhere even if you don’t have a hose or garage.

Coatingsarecrack
02-06-2019, 03:07 AM
If it bothers you enough to post just spend the extra bucks and get new ones. Get PFM’s and it will be a satisfying investment. I’m with L-dog (my affectionate name for eldorados), shouldn’t be an issue after washing several times. Look over towel to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArcticWhite
02-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Thank you both for your responses. That's along the lines of what I initially thought but wasn't sure if there is still brake dust that is microscopic and trapped or if it is inherently more clingy than other dirt varieties. Appreciate the feedback you provided - sticking with the towels.

392hemi
02-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Hi All,

New poster here after being a casual reader over the past year. Can't seem to find any definitive answers on this one after searching forums/internet-at-large and reading some results, so thought I'd post my first of a few questions to see what feedback I can get. By all means if this has been covered in other threads or articles please share.

Last year in my detailing ignorance I used a waffle weave drying towel that I typically use on the body of the car to wipe off wet, dirty wheels. I didn't consider my decision to do this until it was too late and I noticed how filthy/black the gray drying towel had become. I did not use this towel on paint again until it had been washed a total of 2-3 times. Other microfiber towels were washed alongside the tainted one after the initial use on wheels. No black marks or visible dirt remained on the tainted towel after the first wash, and after some deliberation and the aforementioned two extra washes I decided to employ it as a drying towel again. Since that time the towel has been washed somewhere between 10-20 times, all with other microfiber towels (some drying, some high GSM, some interior - but never again with wheel towels).

I'm going to be doing some paint correction on my car (fingers crossed - more to come in a separate thread) due primarily to some swirling and as a result I am again paranoid that this mistake might haunt me by undoing much of what I intend to fix. I am pretty obsessive over doing things the right way but if I am being honest, I am only slightly more obsessed than the average amateur. I don't have a garage to store the car, nor do I have a place to wash it regularly by hand, so I'll be relying upon coin op pressure washers for 90% of the time. I've considered buying new towels (just drying - not replacing all of the towels at this time despite being washed together) but in my mind even if I purchase new drying towels my circumstances and methods will be more prone to cause damage.

TL;DR:

After 10-20 runs in the washing machine, is it likely (anything is possible - I'm looking for likely) that there is still wheel dirt/brake dust/etc in the towels? I say towels since they were eventually all washed together.

Visually inspect and ensure you don't see any debris. You can use it to do test panels and see if is marring before you polish. I would buy a new towel for your peace of mind. But if it seems ok, it probably is.

PaulMys
02-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Here's the question:

Is your peace of mind worth more or less than the price of the new towel?

ArcticWhite
02-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Thanks Paul. That's certainly a question I've asked myself. But when I considered starting over and buying new towels, I realized that it's a temporary solution in my case - I know am going to do something improper in the future that would again cause me to question the towel's viability. I'd be in the same situation, out the price of new towels, and again looking to replace them.

I think my paranoia is a product of my research. Some people have a dedicated washing machine for MF towels and store them in airtight containers. Some are more relaxed and carefree, mixing wheel towels and drying towels when washing and storing out in the open. There seem to be no definitive answers on a lot of this stuff, just like a lot of other topics (dieting weightlifting come to mind). For me, if it works for you, do it; we all have to do what gives us peace of mind. The problem with me is that I read some of the more cautious approaches and think that anything less is a disservice to your car and that does not seem to be the case. I am one to take reasonable precautions but there are diminishing returns past a certain point. These responses have helped me better define what reasonable is in this case.

ArcticWhite
02-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Good idea. Car is already swirled decent enough so I imagine I would have to polish to then test a small area. Even if it doesn't happen during the test it could over the course of a year, and for other reasons too - bad wash technique for example (I've done my research but I will most definitely make mistakes at some point). Appreciate the feedback you provided.